Leitz SM Medical Microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Bryan

Leitz SM Medical Microscope

#1 Post by Bryan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 pm

I just received 1957 Leitz SM Medical binocular microscope kit. This is my first "real" microscope other than what I used in college and work years ago. I have an Edmunds Scientific Monocular 3 lens microscope which is basically a toy. I chose this one because it looks like a complete kit and I can hook a camera up to it. It came with the following:
two lens condenser with a flip out blue filter. It sounds like originally it also came with a ground glass filter.
Two sets of eye pieces, 6X and 10X.
3.5/0.10 objective, 10/0.25 objective, 45/0.65 objective and an OEL 100/1.30 Objective with 4 Objective cases.
Coaxial mechanical stage.
lamp with a spare Osram BFM 15W bulb, (good thing for the spare, the one in the lamp burned out right away).
A bottle of Immersions Oil, looks like the original unopened bottle from1957, may be slightly yellowed.
Wood fitted case.
P9230622s.jpg
P9230622s.jpg (116.28 KiB) Viewed 19577 times
Everything seems to be functioning properly, it did need a bit of cleaning but it seems like it was well taken care of. The seller said it belonged to a doctor.

I already had the the camera attachment shown below, it's a Leitz MIKAS with a Nikon LTM 35mm microscope camera. I have an adapter to go from LTM to Micro 4/3 so I can use my Olympus digital camera with it as well.
P9230627s.jpg
P9230627s.jpg (125.66 KiB) Viewed 19577 times
Right now I have to attach the MIKAS to one of the eyepiece slots. I would like to eventually get a trinocular head for it. Does anyone know if the Lablux or Laborlux heads are interchangeable with the MS microscope?
P9230627s.jpg
P9230627s.jpg (125.66 KiB) Viewed 19577 times
I just ordered some fresh Immersion Oil, Methylene Blue stain and some slides and cover slips to get me started.
Attachments
P9230630s.jpg
P9230630s.jpg (164.12 KiB) Viewed 19577 times

Hobbyst46

Re: Leitz SM Medical Microscope

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Congratulations. Nice looking microscope. May you enjoy it!

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:35 am

That's a lovely-looking 'scope Bryan

Regarding the trinocular heads: This might help
CSIMG_4_1.jpg
CSIMG_4_1.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 19542 times
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG (139.7 KiB) Viewed 19542 times
I have the FSA version on my Laborlux, and I'm pretty sure they use the same style of attachment.
... so if you need to compare the dovetail fittings please let me know.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

ebenbildmicroscopy

#4 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:53 pm

MichaelG. posted an excellent reference. Personally, on the SM lux, I would recommend the FS tube for a couple of reasons: A). You already have the eyepiece/prism arrangement that allows you to directly view the image the camera is receiving**; and, B). The trinocular arrangement will remove any stress created by the weight of the camera setup itself - that's a bit of a strain on an eyepiece tube that wasn't really designed to "bear" weight.

As an aside, the FS tubes are cheaper on Fleabay and they look less "clunky" when used on the SM! (IMHO)!

**Leitz designed the FSA tubes to be used with Leitz cameras "in-the-blind". Their Orthomat system relied on photocells and electronics to set the camera controls and did not provide a user interface - nice in theory but, not often as practical.
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

ebenbildmicroscopy

#5 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:10 pm

... additionally, if you find a Leitz trinocular tube for the SM, make sure it has the camera adapter (shown) - if it doesn't, PM me and I'll sell you one for $10 + shipping. You have a sweet setup there!
Attachments
leitzcameraadapt1.jpg
leitzcameraadapt1.jpg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 19521 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

Bryan

#6 Post by Bryan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks for the responses! Looking at some of the literature on these microscopes it does look like they use the same parts between the Laborlux and the SM models. MichaelG, I measured the male fitting that inserts into the microscope arm, it looks like it's about 43mm, does that compare to yours?

JeffO, if I can find one that doesn't cost more than what I paid for the whole microscope I'll definitely get the FS Trinocular. I'll just keep an eye out on the evil auction site. If I need to I may take you up on the offer for the camera adapter, I did notice that a lot of the ones for sale don't have it. In the mean time I'll use a tripod to support the setup that I have to keep the weight off the eyepiece tube.

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Bryan wrote:MichaelG, I measured the male fitting that inserts into the microscope arm, it looks like it's about 43mm, does that compare to yours?
Mmm ... This could get interesting/confusing
My dovetail only measures 40.98mm diameter, but it has a surprisingly long cylindrical portion at that diameter.
[As if it's been turned down; but it's all chromed, so obviously original.]
I can take some photos tomorrow if you need them.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Bryan

#8 Post by Bryan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:39 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Bryan wrote:MichaelG, I measured the male fitting that inserts into the microscope arm, it looks like it's about 43mm, does that compare to yours?
Mmm ... This could get interesting/confusing
My dovetail only measures 40.98mm diameter, but it has a surprisingly long cylindrical portion at that diameter.
[As if it's been turned down; but it's all chromed, so obviously original.]
I can take some photos tomorrow if you need them.

MichaelG.
My calipers read 1.614 inches at the widest point which converts to 42.453mm. It sticks out about 9mm from the larger chrome disk.
P9240640.JPG
P9240640.JPG (115.7 KiB) Viewed 19495 times
One difference I noticed is that the one in the 1968 brochure looks like it has a longer neck than my 1957 model. Wouldn't that affect the focal distance even though they are both supposed to be 170mm? Maybe there were other changes that kept the distance at 170mm. They both have a tube factor of 1.25X. They also went from a knob to a lever for adjusting the ocular distance between the two eye pieces. So there were definitely changes made between 1957 and 1968. If they changed the diameter of the connector that will make it difficult to find the appropriate trinocular head.
Binocular neck 1968.jpg
Binocular neck 1968.jpg (134.23 KiB) Viewed 19495 times
Binocular neck 1957.jpg
Binocular neck 1957.jpg (104.98 KiB) Viewed 19495 times

Hobbyst46

#9 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:01 am

Bryan wrote:My calipers read 1.614 inches at the widest point which converts to 42.453mm...
Actually, 1.614x25.4=40.996mm...

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Bryan wrote:My calipers read 1.614 inches at the widest point which converts to 42.453mm...
Someone give that man a Gold Star please !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Bryan

#11 Post by Bryan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Ooops, must have made a typo when I put it into the Google converter. That's good, it should fit then.

Bryan

#12 Post by Bryan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:20 pm

I've been using this setup to practice photographing things using a digital camera instead of the Nikon 35mm in the photos above. I'm still waiting for some supplies to arrive like a dye kit so hopefully I'll see some improvement with that. I'm a Geologist, not a Biologist so I may have misidentified some of these things so feel free to correct me. For all of these I used a blue filter under the condenser.

I was bottling a batch of home brew beer last night so I took a sample for the microscope. This is after the fermentation and prior to carbonation in the bottles with sugar. I believe I'm looking at the brewers yeast here. I think this was 400 magnification but my micro 4/3 camera does crop the image about 50% compared to what a full frame or 35mm camera would do.
P9260661+s.jpg
P9260661+s.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 19378 times
For this one I cut a gill out of a mushroom I found growing on my lawn. I'm not sure what type of mushroom it is but I believe the brown objects are the basidospores. This one I mounted with a drop of clear nail polish, again, I'm waiting for some proper supplies to arrive. This was 400 magnification.
P9250658+s.jpg
P9250658+s.jpg (107.42 KiB) Viewed 19378 times
These next two are stagnant water from a birdbath in my back yard. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here but there was a lot of critters moving around, it was quite fascinating. These critters where not moving so they were easier to photograph. I'm pretty sure these were 400 magnification, I need to start taking notes on my photos.
P9240649+s.jpg
P9240649+s.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 19378 times
P9240642+s.jpg
P9240642+s.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 19378 times

Aslan

#13 Post by Aslan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 pm

I love my SM microscope. I picked up in 1987 when the University of Toronto sold off a bunch of them. I use it in my classroom for demonstrations and have got quite good and using my iPhone to wirelessly project what is on the slide. But I only have the monocular head. I did, just recently, picked up a trinocular head for it on ebay and I am awaiting delivery.. Unfortunately, it does not have the camera adapter for it. Does anyone know another source for them?
Spenser 58 convertible microscope

Bryan

#14 Post by Bryan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:21 pm

There are several on eBay right now, it's called a MIKAS microscope adapter or just search for "Leitz microscope adapter". It's easy to adapt to any camera that has a removable lens, all you need is an adapter that goes from LTM or M39 thread mount to whatever mount you need for your camera. They also made the same adapter for Leica M mount called MIKAS-M. The photo's above were taken with an Olympus Micro 4/3 camera adapted directly to the camera, no lens on the camera. Unfortunately the MIKAS and the trinocular heads usually don't come with the part that ebenbildmicroscopy mentioned above, I took him up on his generous offer for one. I now have the trinocular head as well, I'll post a photo of my setup soon.

More information on the MIKAS
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wi ... .php/MIKAS

http://www.wetzlar-historica-italia.it/mikas.html

http://www.geocities.ws/dushang2000/Mic ... %20MIKAS-M

Aslan

#15 Post by Aslan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Thank you. I was actually thinking of the 38 mm to 23 mm adapters that go in the top of the trinocular head for attaching other eyepieces and cameras.

Bryan wrote:There are several on eBay right now, it's called a MIKAS microscope adapter or just search for "Leitz microscope adapter". It's easy to adapt to any camera that has a removable lens, all you need is an adapter that goes from LTM or M39 thread mount to whatever mount you need for your camera. They also made the same adapter for Leica M mount called MIKAS-M. The photo's above were taken with an Olympus Micro 4/3 camera adapted directly to the camera, no lens on the camera. Unfortunately the MIKAS and the trinocular heads usually don't come with the part that ebenbildmicroscopy mentioned above, I took him up on his generous offer for one. I now have the trinocular head as well, I'll post a photo of my setup soon.
Spenser 58 convertible microscope

75RR

#16 Post by 75RR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Bryan wrote:These next two are stagnant water from a birdbath in my back yard. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here but there was a lot of critters moving around, it was quite fascinating. These critters where not moving so they were easier to photograph. I'm pretty sure these were 400 magnification, I need to start taking notes on my photos.
Image Image

Looks like Haematococcus and a mold spore
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#17 Post by MicroBob » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Aslan wrote:Unfortunately, it does not have the camera adapter for it. Does anyone know another source for them?
Maybe you can 3d-print the adapter? It is probably easy to design once the distances are determined with a cardboard mock-up.
Otherwise you probably end up with two trinocular heads and one camera adapter.
The last adapter to the camera mount can be bought on ebay.

Bryan

#18 Post by Bryan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:34 pm

I have everything set up now with my trinocular head, now I need to start figuring out how to get some good photos with it. Special thanks to ebenbildmicroscopy for supplying the adapter for the trinocular head.
PA270679+s.jpg
PA270679+s.jpg (95.69 KiB) Viewed 19047 times

Bryan

#19 Post by Bryan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:31 pm

This is a test shot with my setup using film. This is the trailing edge of a mosquito wing at 450X magnification. Looks like feathers to me. The exposure was about 25 seconds. The film is expired Kodak Panatomic-X semi-stand developed in 1:100 R09 (Rodinal). I rated the film at an ISO of 25 since it is expired, film tends to loose some speed as it ages but slow black and white films can hold their quality for a long time if they are stored properly. Obviously I'm not going to get the quality of a nice focus stacked digital shot but this combines two of my hobbies, film photography and microscopy.

ImageMosquito Feathers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

MichaelG.

#20 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Great to see a film-based image, Bryan

Keep up the good work !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#21 Post by MicroBob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Bryan,
thank you for posting your analog photography!
These old microscope cameras were expensive and nicely made instruments but I really can't remember when I last saw an image made by them.
I myself started digital photography late, it was 2007 and I bought a Pentax DSLR when 6 megapixels didn't sell anymore and they got cheap. Until then I alway used a 1970s Praktica or Minolta kit and a 35mm classic, 6x6 reflex or 6x9 folder medium format at the side. The output of the S7W medium format cameras was really nice, but the productivity was low and I didn't really enjoy laboratory work in the basement. I now have a nice showcase for my old cameras but haven't used one for nearly 10 years. With time I realized that it was always the cameras I liked, not the medium film.

You mosquito wing looks much more interesting than I would have thought - a really interesting subject. The mosquitos here in Germany can be heard when they come close. How is it with your ones?

Bob

Bryan

#22 Post by Bryan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 pm

MicroBob wrote:Hi Bryan,
thank you for posting your analog photography!
These old microscope cameras were expensive and nicely made instruments but I really can't remember when I last saw an image made by them.
I myself started digital photography late, it was 2007 and I bought a Pentax DSLR when 6 megapixels didn't sell anymore and they got cheap. Until then I alway used a 1970s Praktica or Minolta kit and a 35mm classic, 6x6 reflex or 6x9 folder medium format at the side. The output of the S7W medium format cameras was really nice, but the productivity was low and I didn't really enjoy laboratory work in the basement. I now have a nice showcase for my old cameras but haven't used one for nearly 10 years. With time I realized that it was always the cameras I liked, not the medium film.

You mosquito wing looks much more interesting than I would have thought - a really interesting subject. The mosquitos here in Germany can be heard when they come close. How is it with your ones?

Bob
Thanks for the comments Michael and Bob. I have quite a collection of old film cameras from 8mm to 4x5 and everything in between. When everyone was switching over to digital I was buying them for next to nothing. I was like a kid in a candy shop getting all the great cameras that I used to lust after. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use a 4x5 camera so I can make contact prints. I enjoy the whole process of developing film so expect more.

The mosquito pictured was a dead one I found caught in a web, it was very small. We also have larger ones than this but nothing like the ones they have in Alaska, those ones will fly away with small children. I've had to wrestle a few off me when I was up there. Where I live we can hear the larger ones when they get close but the small ones can sneak up on you pretty easily. I think there are about 30 different types of mosquito in the area where I live but for the most part they're not that bad unless you're close to a wetland area. This was a male mosquito, it had antennae, so that may have had something to do with it's size. I would like to get a good shot of the male antennae, in this sample the antennae were a bit messed up. Below is an interesting article about why we seem to have so few mosquitoes in the Seattle area.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/why-ar ... n-seattle/

MicroBob

#23 Post by MicroBob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Bryan wrote:so I can make contact prints
When I was 15 I had b/w photography as a subject in school. I told my grandmother about it and about the enlarger that was used. She didn't want to hear about the enlarger, all that was needed was a box with a bulb, switch and milk glass on it. Okay - what I didn't know was that she was quite good photographer in earlier years, using some kind of large format camera! :lol:

For B/W the size of the negative is more important than for colour: The gray areas don't really look cream-like when the film size is too small for the print size and viewing distance. With 35mm it all looks somewhat news print like.

Do you have one of these modern multigrade enlargers?

Bryan

#24 Post by Bryan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Bryan wrote:so I can make contact prints
When I was 15 I had b/w photography as a subject in school. I told my grandmother about it and about the enlarger that was used. She didn't want to hear about the enlarger, all that was needed was a box with a bulb, switch and milk glass on it. Okay - what I didn't know was that she was quite good photographer in earlier years, using some kind of large format camera! :lol:

For B/W the size of the negative is more important than for colour: The gray areas don't really look cream-like when the film size is too small for the print size and viewing distance. With 35mm it all looks somewhat news print like.

Do you have one of these modern multigrade enlargers?
I don't have an enlarger, right now I just scan my negatives with a digital camera. I actually modified parts from an enlarger to make a scanner that my camera attaches to. It sounds like your grandmother was making contact prints with medium format or large format negatives, that's what I do to make prints. All you need is a light bulb and a way to hold the negative flat against the paper. That's why I want to get my microscope set up with my 4X5 camera. Leitz did make a 4X5 attachment but I have a few ideas to do it with the equipment I have.

MichaelG.

#25 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Last edited by MichaelG. on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Too many 'projects'

Bryan

#26 Post by Bryan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:49 am

MichaelG. wrote:Bryan,

You may find this useful:
http://www.geocities.ws/dushang2000/Mic ... hments.pdf

MichaelG.

I will edit this post if I find more.
Thanks Michael, that’s actually quite useful.

75RR

#27 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:35 am

This is a test shot with my setup using film.
This is unexpected. I find myself thanking the gods for digital every time I use the camera on the microscope.
I would be quite happy to use film outdoors however. Was really fond of my OM1 and OM2

Nice image by the way.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

henryr

#28 Post by henryr » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Great looking scope But why do you think it is a SM-M? There is a pdf on the web that has, on the last page, what looks like a Leitz document showing the black microscope series and years they were made or available. It seems all the scopes in the SM section show the front surface of the focusing block, that the stage is mounted on, is vertical. The scopes in the Laborlux/Labolus section show the front surface of focusing block is at an angle, like yours. This link should get you to the pdf. http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... es7rev.pdf.

Bryan

#29 Post by Bryan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:10 am

henryr wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:28 pm
Great looking scope But why do you think it is a SM-M? There is a pdf on the web that has, on the last page, what looks like a Leitz document showing the black microscope series and years they were made or available. It seems all the scopes in the SM section show the front surface of the focusing block, that the stage is mounted on, is vertical. The scopes in the Laborlux/Labolus section show the front surface of focusing block is at an angle, like yours. This link should get you to the pdf. http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... es7rev.pdf.
I think you’re correct about it being an SM-M model but not because of how the stage is mounted. My stage is an older model and I don’t think the stage mount matters much. That could vary depending on what stage it came with. On that pdf it says the SM has plastic focusing knobs, mine are metal like the SM-M. I think that’s the important distinction between the two. It doesn’t give much information on the differences between the SM models and things could have changed from year to year.

henryr

#30 Post by henryr » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:19 pm

I wasn't proposing that you scope is an SM. Based on photos in the Leitz document, in the link I sent, I thought your scope looked much more like a labolux or laborlux because of the angled front surface.