An Upgrade

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
coominya

An Upgrade

#1 Post by coominya » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:24 am

I decided to move on from the old Olympus ECE, which has served me well, but is, bluntly, a bit outdated in the optics. I snagged a later model CH-2 off feeBay which has a lot more contrast with its ED glass and better lighting too. I spent a an hour last night investigating a rusty 12mm spanner, quite a lot to see down there, and am anxious to put it back under the new microscope. I know a rusty spanner isn't the usual fare around here but when I get curious about something I throw convention out the window :D

I'll get back to the creek soon though and replenish my supply of protozoa and take some pix with the new camera.

OLD ECE

NEW CHT

Hobbyst46

Re: An Upgrade

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:15 am

Congratulations! this one is more expandable and modern too! And long barrel objectives.

Here is a link to a previous post about CH2:
viewtopic.php?t=4678

coominya

#3 Post by coominya » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Congratulations! this one is more expandable and modern too! And long barrel objectives.
It has a blue filter below the condenser, quite dark I thought. I removed it and the illumination became very yellow so obviously it's purpose it to produce a more natural lighting. I replaced it and added one of my DF rings above it and that gave a perfect DF once the condenser was adjusted to suit.

It's equipped with 4,10,20 and 40x objectives and I was pleased to find that the 40x gives a nice bright clear image. On my old ECE the 40x gave terrible views, perhaps it was corrupted with oil or something? Either way it's a relief to have the higher mag available. I have not used the oil immersion so far on any of my scopes but am considering buying a 100x for this one so I can explore more intricate detail. I have used it before, years ago, and found it quite useful.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Cheers!

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:10 am

Congratulations to your new microscope! It is probably much easier to get components for the newer stand too.

You might have a closer look at the optical parts of your old microscope. In clean and intact condition it should give a good if perhaps not perfect image. Do you have a stereo microscope too? With light from below it is possible to scan through the lens system and look for dust, fungus and delamination of optical groups. With the 40:1 objectives the front lens is most often the problem. In working position it is so close to the slide that it easily gets dipped in mountants or immersion oil or even get scratched. With the eyepieces it's usually the front lens that has been scratched by frequent cleanings with tie tips etc.. The binocular tubes sometimes accumulate dust or fungus layers. If you look at a bright light source like a small spotlight you can see a cloudy image if the components are not clean any more.

The blue filter also cuts IR light that is not good for the eyes.

coominya

#6 Post by coominya » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 pm

MicroBob wrote: With the 40:1 objectives the front lens is most often the problem. In working position it is so close to the slide that it easily gets dipped in mountants or immersion oil or even get scratched.

The blue filter also cuts IR light that is not good for the eyes.
Thanks for that info Bob, I'll give the 40 a look over. I have ordered blues for my other scopes, they are quite cheap out of china. I hope there is no "special" glass they use in the more expensive brand name ones that will render the cheap chinese product substandard.