Zeiss Universal

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
wstenberg

Zeiss Universal

#1 Post by wstenberg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:40 am

IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG (40.65 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG (55.02 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
My Zeiss Universal Project. Newly added is the microscope stand. It's a heavy-duty stand from a Marco Slit Lamp optometrist's microscope (The slit lamp is boxed up for a future project). The table top moves up or down with a wheel under the table. Currently set up for brightfield and reflected light.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

75RR

Re: Zeiss Universal

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am

Interesting table. Have you used the Universal on it yet? Is it stable enough?
Have to ask what that 1 meter long black tube is for, do tell!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am

Hi William,
you have got an impressive microscope there! In our microscopy group we use one like this as a video microscope to explain things to the group. I'm not sure though that the drawing atattchment (?) is supposed to be used without any additional support.

Bob

wstenberg

#4 Post by wstenberg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Zeiss made different drawing tubes for each model of microscope. I originally purchased this one thinking it was for the Standard. Mechanically, it fits fine on the Standard, but the optics are sideways. It took me a month to figure out it was actually for the Universal (it also fits the Invertoskop). I now have a drawing tube for the Standard, and one for the Stereomicroscope.

The Zeiss Universal drawing tube is much longer than the others, maybe double the length. Mostly I have seen them cantilevered off the microscope, but this long one could benefit from an additional support. If it gets a small bump during a drawing, it's difficult to get it back to its exact original position. Likewise, the microscope and drawing have to be on the same desk surface. This pictured rolling cart is unsuitable for actual drawing. One bump, and everything is out of registration.

Drawing is actually a complex process. It's done looking through the microscope binocular, not looking at the paper. Right hand holds the pencil, and the left hand on the focus knob to move through the Z-axis.

This rolling table is steady enough. I would prefer something much more solid, but in this small room everything has to be on wheels...
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Our microscopy group has just acquired 10-12 of the drawing tubes for our Zeiss Standards, and we just had a meeting where we tried to make drawings of radiolaria with it. I think it is a quite advanced drawing tube, it fits between microscope head and binocular tube and even the scale is adjustable. We found out that the right combination of lighting of the Microscope and the paper are essential. Our results were not too bad for a first try.
Have you already made drawings that you would like to show?

Bob