Nikon Stereo Microscope SZM-????

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Tarloth

Nikon Stereo Microscope SZM-????

#1 Post by Tarloth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 am

Hi:

Sorry for the delay to publish this post. Thanks to all that answered my post in newbie section!. I received the microscope and everything was OK. I did a superficial cleaning and the microscope works OK and seems aligned and responsive, I not note nothing bad or strange.

I don't know the exact model, somebody can confirm the model? I did the basic comprobation of focus and alignment, but somebody can recommends me some Nikon manual for cleaning and correct verification of alignment or adjustment?.

It had came with the 10x ocular and magnifications it's ok, but exists or it's recommendable change it for a WF version or something better ocular? Worth it?

Thanks to all again for your time and now I need to build ring iluminator and for sure a camera adaptor, then I will still bother all of you in this forum. THANKS

PM: Sorry for the cardboard but I like to isolate the microscope in the picture

coominya

Re: Nikon Stereo Microscope SZM-????

#2 Post by coominya » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 pm

A nice Japanese scope. I'm a fan of such, though I don't have a stereo one. No room really :D

As for different eyepieces, I would do your research before buying anything that wasn't standard issue on the microscope. I bought an upgrade widefield pair of olympus eyepieces for an old olympus ECE biological. Beautiful eyepieces, but the views were worse than the old scratched pair they were to replace. Something was incompatible with the rest of the optical train I guess. It wasn't a total loss though as I subsequently upgraded to the microscope they came from and the spares came in handy for a dedicated phone camera mount for an old galaxy S3 I had laying around .

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Eyepieces are fairly compatible across different stereo scopes, since they generally aren't compensating. It might be worth buying some inexpensive ones to see how they work--I assume these are 23mm, so maybe some WF american optical or bausch and lomb, or some cheaper Chinese ones. The best you can do with 23mm is probably a pair of B&L 15x uwf eyepieces, though they can be hard to come by.

Tarloth

#4 Post by Tarloth » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks coominya, do you know which exact model is this microscope? With the model I can search for compatible parts. The camera adapter sounds excellent, I would like to connect one SRL but I need to search information for the exit pupil and optic characteristics of the ocular first to make my own adapter.

Scarodactyl, thanks for your answer but the ocular it's 30mm diameter, some suggestions? Thanks to answer, it's important to me

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Oh nice. If it's already 30mm you're already in widefield territory (at least by ye olde widefield standards). The next step up would be ultra widefield I guess? You might have luck with Nikon CFUW eyepieces--they are used in compound scopes but don't seem to be particularly compensating from my brief experiments. My dad's SMZ10 came with zeiss stereo eyepieces that work great with it.

Tarloth

#6 Post by Tarloth » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 pm

That's confuse me about this model, the eyepieces are marked only 10x then I think that are not Wide or High Eyepoint, and I expected 23.2 mm ocular in the scope and not 30mm. The old SZM (1 I think) have 30mm eyepieces or this is another model? I still not knowing which model is it exactly

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 pm

It's not an smz-1. This is what an SMZ-1b looks like (which has only slight visual differences from the vanilla SMZ-1).
It does have 30mm eyepieces, probably exactly the same type, just marked 10x 23. All the SMZs I have seen have had their model number clearly marked on the head.
Having a look through Nikon's online microscope museum I'd guess it's an earlier SM model of some kind.
edit: Actually, I think it's an SMZ-2. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-SMZ-2-St ... 1061745225

Tarloth

#8 Post by Tarloth » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Yes, I think that the model would be in any place but nothing! Only Nikon, Japan and a serial number. Original SMZ looks the same that SMZ-2 (not exist SMZ-1? and both are the same?) and the zoom ring it's a collar between top and objetives. SM-5 has not zoom and new SMZ has the zoom as a side knob as your microscope. Really, I know and use new models of SM from Nikon (SMZ-U it's fantastic!) but never work with this model.

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 am

The pictured scope in my post is the smz-1, the linked one is an smz-2 like yours. Nikon seemed to try a lot of different mechanisms for things like this. The smz-10 also has a zoom collar like the smz-2, while other smzs have knobs. I have three -phot series trinocular heads, and each has a completely different mechanism for switching between the eyepieces and photo tube.

Tarloth

#10 Post by Tarloth » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:42 am

Very interesting. I change one of this microscopes in the future to buy one trinocular. I will made an eyepiece adapter for take pictures but I prefer a separate tube for camera. Do you know if exist any manual or web site that have all the microscopes that nikon did make?

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:05 am

I kind of wonder if it would be possible to put the top from an SMZ-10 on the body of the smz-2. Every now and then they come up loose on eBay, though rarely well priced https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-SMZ-10-S ... rk:49:pf:0
The smz-10 is really cool because you can switch which side it is photographing through and make real stereo photos.
Unfortunately the Nikon museum just has highlights, and I haven't found any one place with information. There may be some site but I haven't found it if so.

Tarloth

#12 Post by Tarloth » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:15 am

Some of the new SMZ can be switched, but I thing that old ones no. With time and patience I will buy one of the latest microscopes but for now are ok for me those ones, but I need to connect a camera to the microscope :-).

Tarloth

#13 Post by Tarloth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 am

Hi, after a better cleaning I did notice that the stereo images been not aligned and then I adjusted a bit the right erecting prism and the image seems ok now. Exist any exact form to test the correct stereo alignment of one microscope like this? Thanks

MichaelG.

#14 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:22 am

Tarloth wrote:... Exist any exact form to test the correct stereo alignment of one microscope like this?
That's an interesting question ^^^
I wonder if a Pyramid would be suitable.

Meanwhile: This article by Paul James might be helpful
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... ollim.html

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#15 Post by MicroBob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:42 am

Tarloth wrote:Exist any exact form to test the correct stereo alignment of one microscope like this? Thanks
I'm sure there is but my own standard would be to have a strain-free view and a good image.

MichaelG.

#16 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 am

Interesting that our reading of the question was so different, Bob

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#17 Post by MicroBob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Michael,
where do you see the difference?

Bob

MichaelG.

#18 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 pm

MicroBob wrote:Hi Michael,
where do you see the difference?

Bob
I was thinking of a physical 'test object'
... You appeared to be thinking either of a 'reference standard' microscope, or a subjective assessment of viewing comfort.

Please forgive me if I mis-understood your comment.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#19 Post by MicroBob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:07 pm

I just wanted to suggest to not to put too much emphasis on microscope technic at the very beginning.
Lots of microscopy newbies loose their initial interest after spending too much time with their equipment and too little with the objects the wanted to observe in the first place. With a well worn and bumped zoom stereo microscope it might be very difficult to acheive an image that withstands all objective testing methods. But it could never the less be good enough for practical use.

Tarloth

#20 Post by Tarloth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm agree, I did use the microscope to see almost 50 or 60 different things like pleurodeles larvae, classify phalaenopsis seeds, apistogramma alevins, a lot of aquatic critters an a multitude of very old UV erasable IC's and new PCB to control. I'm happy like a child! B&L did work perfect since first day after cleaning, Nikon since beginning had has a better contrasted individual image but near impossible to form stereo image. I aligned it yesterday, I can see in stereo without notice my eyes tired after 30 min of use but if I could in the near future I like to align it as better as I can.

But I am "desperate" to take photographs with my DSLR, I'm seeing how do that now :-)

THANKS

MicroBob

#21 Post by MicroBob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi Tarloth,

these stereo microscopes often tend to have a hard life, so every(bad)thing is possible. :shock:.
It's good you have two stereo microscopes, so you are not out of order while you work on one.
With a zoom stereo there is also possible wear of guides of the zoom mechanism and hardened grease that can lead to bad sight. You might also check whether the eyepieces really work the same (no lenses inverted, no parts lost or exchanged...). The article of Paul James that MichaelG linked is probably a good start for a systematic search. I would suggest to first start from the very outside, the visual apperance, alignment of parts, horizonltals and verticals, dents, sticky movements, slack etc.. Some of these instruments have already flown into a scrap container before they are sold...
All normal stereo microscopes have barely enough natural aperture (this determines the possible resolution) to satisfy your eye. So there is no need to get out the best camera to capture this mediocre amount of detail. Just today I tried to take photos of a heap of wonderful recent deep sea radiolaria material. On the stereo microscope I got the best images with my 70€ China-smartphone. Only problem was that it was dark field and my camera app didn't keep the exposure correction value I set. :roll:

With you B&L it might be just dust or cigarette smoke on some surfaces. This can often be reduced partly without much dismantling

Bob

Tarloth

#22 Post by Tarloth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks Bob, B&L have not any scratch or dent in the movement because came from a researcher in a local University that did died and his grandson did sell me it. I knew the history of the microscope after buy it.

Nikon had a more rude life. In the vertical focus one exist a problem with one gear's tooth, not serious but I notice it and in the zoom mechanism exist a small glitch that I asume that it's wear of mechanics of zoom. Gear's problem it's easy to solve, zoom mechanics are more difficult.

My cellphone it's a very old model (with a heavy signal strength!) that not take decent photos anymore, but I have two DSLR's and two or three old point &shoot digital cameras from my wife. Next week I see for buy a cheap adapter or make one for one of them , but I """" NEED""""" take photos. :lol:

PeteM

#23 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 pm

I've had two or three of those scopes and my recollection is that at least some came with Nikon eyepieces with a larger glass area - probably 21 or 22mm field number.

I'd stick with 10x -- and use the screw-on supplemental lenses if you want either more working distance or higher magnification.

Nice scope.

Tarloth

#24 Post by Tarloth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Yes, cristal at pupil exit it's huge! I don't know field number because the eyepiece has no other marking than "10x", but yes, great scope! What are you using for take photographs? It's necessary an adapter with optics or only mount a tube adapter? Thanks

PeteM

#25 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:38 pm

I use one of my trinocular stereo scopes (Meiji or American Optical) if taking photos. But really don't take that many photos since you're not getting a stereo view; just the equivalent of a macro photograph.

That said, any of the tube mounted options (phone camera in holder, a USB or HDMI camera inserted in place of a lens, or a dozen ways to couple a regular camera) will work. The first two, especially the eyepiece-like camera, are easiest to switch in and out. They're fine if you're just trying to document something; rather than take an amazing photo.

Depending upon what magnification you need, you might find a macro photography stand another option? Something in the range of 5:1 to 1:1 can provide amazing detal and these setups can be less subject to vibration, more suitable for focus stacking, and easier (ergonomically) to use. If you shoot something at 2:1, by the time you enlarge and print a photo, the effective enlargement is in the stereo zoom upper range.

You could also use a macro stand to hold a camera over one of your tubes; but at the cost of easily switching back and forth between live viewing and photos.

Tarloth

#26 Post by Tarloth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:54 pm

OK, yes, I need to take photographs to register now but in the near future I like to take good pictures. I know that trinocular microscopes are the way, but those two microscopes where cheap when I did bought. When I have more money I would love to buy a more professional trinocular microscope! Finger cross :-)