My Microscopes - Olympus CH40, uScope MXII, Euromex

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Oliver

My Microscopes - Olympus CH40, uScope MXII, Euromex

#1 Post by Oliver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:56 am

Here is my equipment:

From left to right:
  1. uSCOPE MXII digital microscope: http://www.uscopes.com
  2. BMS student microscope (4x, 10x, 40x, 100x oil)
  3. Olympus CH 40 (4x, 10x, 20x, 40x, 60x) and a 100x oil in spare. Touptek 3.1 MP camera
  4. Euromex Arnhem stereo microscope (2x/4x objectives producing 20x/40x total magnification)
I bought the Olympus CH40 back in 1998. Here you can see it with the OM SLR camera adapter and a Canon EOS 600D SLR. I like the swing-out LCD screen for easy focusing.

Here is the newest member of the family. The uSCOPE MXII is a slide digitizer for image stitching.

Just for fun: a Lego microscope. Works pretty well. Read more here.

A bit messy, I have to admit. Mounting media, stains, specimen containers...

And my collection of books, several of them in German. Starting top row:
  1. Mikroskopisch-Botanisches Praktikum (Wilhelm Nultsch, Annelise Grahle). 8th ed. Thieme Verlag, 1988. University-level handbook for plant microscopy.
  2. Botanische Mikrotechnik (Dieter Gerlach). 3rd ed. Thieme Verlag, 1984. University-level handbook for plant microscopy.
  3. Das Lichtmikroskop (Dieter Gerlach). 2nd ed. Thieme Verlag, 1985. The book covers in-depth the theory of the light microscope.
  4. Wunderwelt der Mikrofotografie (Claude Nuridsany). Laterna magica, 1979.
  5. Photography through the Microscope (John Gustav Delly). 9th ed. Eastman Kodak Company, 1988.
  6. Mikrokosmos. This is one of the most well-known light microscopy-related periodicals in German. It was founded back in 1907.
  7. Microbehunter Microscopy Magazine: This one is the first issue! http://www.microbehunter.com
  8. Mikroskopieren: Geräte - Objekte - Praxis (Werner Nachtigall). BLV, 1994. This is the single most valuable book for beginning microscopists. The English translation is called "Exploring With the Microscope: A Book of Discovery & Learning". There is a reason why it is so expensive: it's a pretty good book, I think one of the best ones around for beginners.
  9. Mikroskopieren als Hobby (Rudolf Drews). Falken Verlag, 1992.
  10. Das Leben im Wassertropfen (Heinz Streble, Dieter Krauter). 8th ed. Kosmos Verlag, 1988. This is an identification book of water organisms with hundreds of drawings.
  11. Culturing Algae. Carolina Biological Supply Company, 1978.
  12. Das Mikroskop in der Schule (Hartmut Dietle). 5th ed. Kosmos Handbuch, 1983.
  13. This is my lab notebook! :D
  14. Das Mikroskop (Wilhelm Seyser). Gerstenberg Verlag, 1980. A tiny book, but with highly valuable information on how to prepare different types of specimens.
After having typed this whole list, I came to realize that the majority of the books are older than 20 years. But the information contained in them is still valid.

Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

peytr

Re: My Microscopes - Olympus CH40, uScope MXII, Euromex

#2 Post by peytr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Hello Oliver,

I see you have a Breukhoven student microscope. Breukhoven is 'around the next street corner' here and I found myself tempted to buy one of their models. Could you comment on the quality of optics and general build quality of the Breukhoven you have?

>>>edit<<<

Just after I posted my request I found a comparative test you published earlier. Very helpfull. I think I'll take the plunge although there are some Olympus scopes on the local market at the moment. One being a trinocular... ow well....

Peter

Air

Re: My Microscopes - Olympus CH40, uScope MXII, Euromex

#3 Post by Air » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 am

Hey,
Wow, you have some good equipment to work with.

Danke für die Liste der tollen bücher, falls möglich auch weitere bücher auflisten. :mrgreen: :geek:
a political scientist finding his way under Microscopes :mrgreen: