My first microscope, will need help upgrading it

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Mycotemis

My first microscope, will need help upgrading it

#1 Post by Mycotemis » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to microscopy and I waited more than 2 years before buying one because I was waiting for a very versatile one that I could slowly upgrade as my needs evolve.

I mainly want to do mycology and observe/take photos of mushroom cells.

So I got my hands on a Nikon Eclipse 80i that was used for blood analysis. It comes with a very nice camera too. I will probably have to change the condenser since it has darkfield oil but maybe It can be useful. I also have to think what are the next objectives I will put on it. I do not have the budget to put those 2K+ objectives. I want quality and working objectives but at a good price.

I think I had a great deal since it appear to usually be quite expensive. What do you guys think it is worth those days? It is in very nice condition.

Here are the specs:

Camera: Lumenera infinity 3 digital camera

Scope:
  • 80i main body for right side stage handle with substage left handle built-in filter cassette (NCB11, ND6, ND32), diffuser, field diaphragm, fine and coarse focusing with focus stopper
  • 2 CFI Eyepiece 10x/22 with diopter ajustment
  • Y-TF Trinocular tube "F", UW (F. O. V 22mm or 25mm) (2 way: 100/0, 0/100)
  • Y-T TV Tube for C mount adapter A
  • Rectangular mechanichal Stage with right Handle
  • Specimen holder 2L
  • D-LM Precentered lamphouse
  • Condenser Darkfield Oil F/E&X
  • CFI C-N Turret 6 places F/E8,6
  • C-Mount TV adapter A
  • C-Mount TV adapter VM 2.5x
  • CFI FF Achro 10x-A/0.20/5.0mm
  • CFI achromat 100x oil with iris diaphragm N.A. 1.25, W.D. 0.18mm, spring loaded
  • C-CEL expander lens

MichaelG.

Re: My first microscope, will need help upgrading it

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 pm

If you have a Lumenera Infinity 3 camera on it ... You are way above my league already.
https://www.lumenera.com/infinity3-3ur.html

Looks like you have "jumped in at the deep end"

MichaelG.
P.S. If you don't have it already, this may be useful:
http://www.mvi-inc.com/wp-content/uploa ... Manual.pdf
Last edited by MichaelG. on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm

It's an excellent microscope; very pricey new.

Looks like you have just a 10x and 100x objective? I'd urge you to get one of the Nikon CFI Plan Apo 20x UV DIC objectives now on Ebay for as little as $130 each. These are spectacular objectives, new old stock, at a bargain price.

Mycotemis

#4 Post by Mycotemis » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm

PeteM wrote:It's an excellent microscope; very pricey new.

Looks like you have just a 10x and 100x objective? I'd urge you to get one of the Nikon CFI Plan Apo 20x UV DIC objectives now on Ebay for as little as $130 each. These are spectacular objectives, new old stock, at a bargain price.

It's tempting but as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6208&p=56025&hilit= ... pse#p56025

Someone says that image would be bad unless I use very thick coverslips??

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 am

Mycotemis wrote:

It's tempting but as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6208&p=56025&hilit= ... pse#p56025

The one I bought has a full Nikon engraving with .17 cover slip correction and a WD (working distance) of 1mm. NA of .75. It's perfect for standard microscope slides and cover slips. Mine had all that engraved on the barrel and was priced higher, seem to recall around $170. Still a huge bargain. I know some seem to be missing the Nikon name and markings.

Mycotemis

#6 Post by Mycotemis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 am

PeteM wrote:
Mycotemis wrote:

The one I bought has a full Nikon engraving with .17 cover slip correction and a WD (working distance) of 1mm. NA of .75. It's perfect for standard microscope slides and cover slips. Mine had all that engraved on the barrel and was priced higher, seem to recall around $170. Still a huge bargain. I know some seem to be missing the Nikon name and markings.
Something like this one? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-CFI-Plan- ... SwxOVbwroq

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:39 am

Yes, pretty sure that's the seller I bought from. It's a wonderful objective. Try an offer and good luck.