Old But Not Irrelevant

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
nboyer

Old But Not Irrelevant

#1 Post by nboyer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:11 am

Hello Folks. My microscope arrived and I could not be any happier. The microscope was used in a nursing school that shut down. Either the students were extra careful with it or it did not get much use. I looked at some prepared slides and got bored, so I pricked my finger and took a look at my blood cells :lol: . Without further ado, here she is. Cheers! -Norm
Attachments
DSC_3617.jpg
DSC_3617.jpg (119.92 KiB) Viewed 9779 times
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

billbillt

Re: Old But Not Irrelevant

#2 Post by billbillt » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:34 am

Hi norm,

Congrats on you new/old microscope... She is a fine looking machine..

Regards,
BillT

nboyer

#3 Post by nboyer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Thank you Bill! Cheers. -Norm
billbillt wrote:Hi norm,

Congrats on you new/old microscope... She is a fine looking machine..

Regards,
BillT
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:21 am

Always good to see a perfectly good microscope , USED , rather than thrown in the trash. Those are great little basic microscopes. Here are some other ideas for quick samples. 1)Squeeze the juice out of a potato. you can add a tiny needle end full of iodine or beet juice or turmeric. Lots of starch grains. Add a tiny piece of bread or a few grains of sugar 2)smear the slippery parts of a green onion and add some stain as above on a slide. it will show up the cells.
If you have plants that have some drift in the tray underneath from over watering, that is usually a good place to find protists.
Moulds can be found by scraping your finger along the bottom gasket of your fridge or freezer; especially after the summer.
have fun . the possible specimens are endless.

coominya

#5 Post by coominya » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:20 pm

A nice unit to be sure norm. I bought something a while back with the same objectives, and a tip for you, is be gentle touching these objectives, as the printing can wear off them if handled a lot.

nboyer

#6 Post by nboyer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 am

Getting back to this thread a little late. Thanks to everyone for the warm congratulatory note. I've been quite pleased with it so far. Cheers! -Norm
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

nboyer

#7 Post by nboyer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:32 am

Special thanks to you, apochronaut, for some useful and interesting tips. Cheers! -Norm
apochronaut wrote:Always good to see a perfectly good microscope , USED , rather than thrown in the trash. Those are great little basic microscopes. Here are some other ideas for quick samples. 1)Squeeze the juice out of a potato. you can add a tiny needle end full of iodine or beet juice or turmeric. Lots of starch grains. Add a tiny piece of bread or a few grains of sugar 2)smear the slippery parts of a green onion and add some stain as above on a slide. it will show up the cells.
If you have plants that have some drift in the tray underneath from over watering, that is usually a good place to find protists.
Moulds can be found by scraping your finger along the bottom gasket of your fridge or freezer; especially after the summer.
have fun . the possible specimens are endless.
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

nboyer

#8 Post by nboyer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 am

Thanks, coominya, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve seen a few with the letterings rubbed off for sure when looking for one on eBay. Wonder why Olympus didn’t use better paint? Cheers! -Norm
coominya wrote:A nice unit to be sure norm. I bought something a while back with the same objectives, and a tip for you, is be gentle touching these objectives, as the printing can wear off them if handled a lot.
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25