Brinkmann

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
dtsh

Brinkmann

#1 Post by dtsh » Thu May 16, 2019 5:14 am

Here is my Brinkmann, I don't have much information about it and I welcome any and all information about it.

I have heard is actually a Zeiss model. If this is true, I am wondering how compatible it might be with other models should I choose to expand it's functionality at some point.

Design-wise, it is a 160mm DIN with a binocular head. The objectives are labelled Brinkmann, 3/0.08 (A0535), 10/0.30 (C0808), 40/0.75 (F0659), 100/1.30 (K0622) and are all parfocal. Both the 40x and 100x objectives are spring-loaded, though the 40x spring is very stiff and does not expand again without some assistance. I presume it will need some cleaning, but I do not yet know the correct method of doing so and have thus not attempted a repair.

The course and fine focus are separate knobs and when focusing, the arm itself moves instead of the stage. The fine focus only travels 4mm with a hard stop at both ends of the fine focus range. According to labelling,
one mark on the fine dial is equal to 0.002.

The condenser is marked KD-W 0.95 and has a swing out top lens, iris, and a 32mm filter tray; I presume the 0.95 is the NA of the condenser. The condenser drops into the condenser ring from the top and has a dovetail which the screws in the mounting ring clamp onto.

The illumination is via a lamp that sits below the condenser with a frosted glass disk at the top to diffuse the light. The bulb is tungsten bulb with an E14 base.

On the side below the fine focus knob is what I assume to be a serial number "36669" and what might be a model number "AS 2".

It came with 10x PL eyepieces, however one is cracked so I picked up a cheap set of widefields which are what's in it now.

If additional info/images can help identify, ask and I will try my best to provide more details.

Since a picture is worth 1000 words, here they are...
brinkmann_top.jpg
brinkmann_top.jpg (257.53 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
Here is a photo from the side, with the arm all the way down
brinkmann_side1_down.jpg
brinkmann_side1_down.jpg (207.87 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
Same side, with the arm all the way up. Both of these photos show the suspected serial and model number partly obscured by the fine focus knob.
brinkmann_side1_up.jpg
brinkmann_side1_up.jpg (209.79 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
A view of the other side, note the 4mm scale near the stage and the label.
brinkmann_side2.jpg
brinkmann_side2.jpg (175.51 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
A shot of the bino head.
brinkmann_bino.jpg
brinkmann_bino.jpg (161.38 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
Last edited by dtsh on Thu May 16, 2019 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

dtsh

Re: Brinkmann

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu May 16, 2019 5:16 am

Here is an image of the stage
brinkmann_stage.jpg
brinkmann_stage.jpg (172.42 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
And lastly, the condenser.
brinkmann_condenser.jpg
brinkmann_condenser.jpg (109.8 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
And the lamp housing
brinkmann_lamp.jpg
brinkmann_lamp.jpg (217.82 KiB) Viewed 6897 times

Any information is much appreciated!

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:30 am

It was frustrating that this scope yielded very poor views. I had cleaned all of the exposed optics as well as the inside surfaces of anything easily reached, yet it performed substantially less than the much abused Olympus BHC I have. I kept saying to myself that I would disassemble the binonocular head some day to see if I could find a resolution to the issue and it took me until today to do just that.
Above the objective is a lens cell attached to the bottom of the binocular head, I had previously cleaned the only exposed surface and, previously unwilling to risk making matters worse, I had not attempted further disassembly. That cell contains two lens elements the inner one being the culptit. Exactly how it managed to get so gross I can only speculate, but after cleaning it the views are much better. I'll have to set the scopes up side by side and compare them again now.

Chris Dee

#4 Post by Chris Dee » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:53 am

Looks like a very sturdy scope. Congratulations on taking the plunge and disassembling/cleaning the secondary optic. Generations of tobacco smoke, dust, and skin oils make their way into the most unlikely places.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am

The design looks like a Tiyoda - perhaps made by them for Brinkman? If you search for Tiyoda might find a bit of the post WWII borrowing of designs from Zeiss.

As you say, your model is somewhat unusual in having a fixed stage height and the whole arm moving for focus. Fixed stage was good for some types of lab work. The focusing arm gets cumbersome if you try to put a heavy camera on one of the Tiyoda trinocular heads.

It's a very nicely built scope, with optics from a somewhat older era.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:11 am

Nice microscope!
On the stage is written "Made in Germany" which means West Germany. There was no microscope maker "Brinkmann" but we had several mircoscope companies in Wetzlar that made OEM products. This could have been made by Will, Kaps, Hertel&Reuss, CBS Beck or a few others. Usually this were mechanically well made microscopes with average optics, intended e.g. for medical routine work.

Bob

viktor j nilsson

#7 Post by viktor j nilsson » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:50 am

PeteM wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am
iss.

As you say, your model is somewhat unusual in having a fixed stage height and the whole arm moving for focus. Fixed stage was good for some types of lab work.
Actually, the coarse focus wheel moves the arm. The fine focus wheel moves the stage (within the 4mm limit). It's the same system as on my Wild M20.

dtsh

#8 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:30 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:50 am
PeteM wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am
iss.

As you say, your model is somewhat unusual in having a fixed stage height and the whole arm moving for focus. Fixed stage was good for some types of lab work.
Actually, the coarse focus wheel moves the arm. The fine focus wheel moves the stage (within the 4mm limit). It's the same system as on my Wild M20.
Huh, I had not noticed/considered that!

dtsh

#9 Post by dtsh » Mon May 25, 2020 6:54 pm

The illuminator is unpleasant to say the least, so I made a new one. 10W Cree LED but my chosen driver only goes upto 7W with a built-in dimmer circuit. The LED is mounted in an aluminum heatsink I cast for the purpose with a 3D printed PLA cover to hold it all and look nice. The frosted glass cover came from the previous illuminator.

I tested it by leaving it run at full power for 2 hours with no noticeable softening of the PLA. Eventually I will print a knob for the potentiometer, but for now the bare shaft works OK.
illuminator1.jpg
illuminator1.jpg (147.4 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
illuminator2.jpg
illuminator2.jpg (104.93 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Still some changes to make to it, but here's a diatom I found in some swamp water while searching for mosqito larvae.
diatom_example.png
diatom_example.png (470.45 KiB) Viewed 4320 times

Charles

#10 Post by Charles » Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Nice diatom shot.

Brinkmann rebranded/put their name, on a lot of microscopes they didn't make. The microscope has Made in Germany under the focus knob and was probably made by Beck Kassel.