My new Microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
NK7Z

My new Microscope

#1 Post by NK7Z » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi,
Name is Dave, and I am new... Was asked to shoot a few photos of my new Microscope, so here they are... First decent Microscope I have owned... Picked it up at a Ham Radio convention. There is some sort of simi sharpened metal device in one of the photos. If anyone knows what this is, I would be interested... Interested in any comments on where one might find a Phase Contrast condenser, and/or a cheap, but good camera, for this Microscope.
Attachments
No idea what this is...  It was in the box, any ideas?
No idea what this is... It was in the box, any ideas?
What.JPG (130.16 KiB) Viewed 11746 times
View of focus knob and part of stage.
View of focus knob and part of stage.
focus.JPG (356.98 KiB) Viewed 11746 times
View of Condenser.
View of Condenser.
Condenser.JPG (460.45 KiB) Viewed 11746 times
Overview of entire microscope.
Overview of entire microscope.
overview1.JPG (487.18 KiB) Viewed 11746 times
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z
https://www.nk7z.net

75RR

Re: My new Microscope

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Congratulations! That is a very nice looking microscope in amazing condition.

As to taking photographs, you might want to use your phone for now (assuming you have one of those clever ones) until you can locate a trinocular head. Assuming there is one.

I have seen some very good images taken with them.

You will need an adapter similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Cell-Phone-Adapt ... 07P7MVX1Y/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Congratulations on having this pretty microscope.

Previous threads in this forum (search for "Bristoline") indicate that it is a good starter scope.

As an alternative to a smartphone camera, you might consider an inexpensive (~70 USD and below) 5MP USB eyepiece camera, that comes with a 0.3X-0.5X reduction lens. Together with the lumped software ar the Micam free software, it can be convenient and useful. Such microscope-camera setup is a good starter.
I like the fact that it has wide field, high eyepoint eyepieces.

geo_man

#4 Post by geo_man » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:11 pm

beautiful scope, congrats!! and good luck with it :)

and i like that cary case!

apatientspider

#5 Post by apatientspider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Congrats! That's a pretty scope. The two items you found in the box: the plastic sheath is a cover for the box key. The metal triangular thing - if not an odd shaped key - is probably a screwdriver of sorts. Microscopes are often held in by a screw or bolt coming up through the bottom of the case.

Jim

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Nice fresh looking microscope. 1 micron fine focus, all metal. Very fine. Grey, like the Kyowas although many of the Bristoline were a very attractive moss green.

That is a sleeve for the key. Other as noted is a screwdriver. I see the cord for the key attached to the carry handle, which would have had or may still have the key attached. The cord was long enough to allow the door to be unlocked without removing it from it's tether. If prying fingers might be involved , the cord and key could be looped off of the handle, and kept elsewhere.

NK7Z

#7 Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm

75RR wrote:Congratulations! That is a very nice looking microscope in amazing condition.
Thank you! I was quite pleased with it... I will probably get an insertable camera of some sort, and use one tube for viewing, and one for photography.
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z

NK7Z

#8 Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Congratulations on having this pretty microscope.

Previous threads in this forum (search for "Bristoline") indicate that it is a good starter scope.

As an alternative to a smartphone camera, you might consider an inexpensive (~70 USD and below) 5MP USB eyepiece camera, that comes with a 0.3X-0.5X reduction lens. Together with the lumped software ar the Micam free software, it can be convenient and useful. Such microscope-camera setup is a good starter.
I like the fact that it has wide field, high eyepoint eyepieces.
Thanks for the comment on the Microscope, I like it! As you suggested, I will go with an insertable camera. I looked at the cell phone camera, and it looks a bit flimsy, and like it might damage the eyepiece. I have done Astrophotography for decades, so getting an insertable camera seems the only way...
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z

NK7Z

#9 Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:48 pm

geo_man wrote:beautiful scope, congrats!! and good luck with it :)

and i like that cary case!
Thank you so much!
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z

NK7Z

#10 Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:50 pm

apatientspider wrote:Congrats! That's a pretty scope. The two items you found in the box: the plastic sheath is a cover for the box key. The metal triangular thing - if not an odd shaped key - is probably a screwdriver of sorts. Microscopes are often held in by a screw or bolt coming up through the bottom of the case.

Jim
Thank you! The end is not sharp, but looks like it is intentionally reduced in width... The scope has a threaded mounting hole in the base, so that is probably what it is...
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z

NK7Z

#11 Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm

apochronaut wrote:Nice fresh looking microscope. 1 micron fine focus, all metal. Very fine. Grey, like the Kyowas although many of the Bristoline were a very attractive moss green.

That is a sleeve for the key. Other as noted is a screwdriver. I see the cord for the key attached to the carry handle, which would have had or may still have the key attached. The cord was long enough to allow the door to be unlocked without removing it from it's tether. If prying fingers might be involved , the cord and key could be looped off of the handle, and kept elsewhere.
Yes, It did, and still does, have a key attached. Inside the carry case, was a second key. That key has made it to my key hanger in a closet, that way, I don't lock myself out.
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z

NK7Z

#12 Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm

I have two questions regarding my new Microscope:

1. On the condenser, the section the filter ring is mounted on, and which also has the diagram control, rotates freely, is this as it should be, or should it be non rotating?
2. Are all microscope eyepiece tubes the same ID? I am thinking of getting the 5 MP camera suggested, and want to insure it fits.
Thanks and 73,
Dave
NK7Z

Hobbyst46

#13 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:25 pm

NK7Z wrote:2. Are all microscope eyepiece tubes the same ID? I am thinking of getting the 5 MP camera suggested, and want to insure it fits.
The most popular ID used to be 23.2mm ("23mm"), and eyepiece cameras usually have adapters for 23mm or 30mm or 30.5mm. The latter are more abundant on stereoscopes (although there are stereoscopes with ID of 23mm).
An interesting, though not so cheap astro camera for microscopy was very recently posted by Bradscopegems in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7516&p=66342&hilit=astro#p66342
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billbillt

#14 Post by billbillt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Hello!,

That is wonderful microscope.. No need to "upgrade", as it is fine enough to give you a lifetime of hobby pleasure... It has the Jenstch type head, that I personally prefer over the Siedentopf type...

Warmest Regards,
BillT

rcmjonesmicro

#15 Post by rcmjonesmicro » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:32 pm

Hello, I am brand new to the forum and have the exact same Bristoline as you. I bought it used, in it's original wooden case in pristine condition around 1985 and have enjoyed it immensely. The bulbs for it are hard to find, but I've bought several from a eBay seller in France for under $6 (search for "6V 21W BA15D BULB CAR TURN SIGNAL LIGHT LAMP MOTORCYCLE VINTAGE SIDE INDICATOR"). Recently, I purchased a slightly newer Nikon Alphaphot-2 which, optically, I can't see a huge difference from the 50 year old Bristoline. Enjoy your scope!