Olympus VT-II Stereo Microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Bryan

Olympus VT-II Stereo Microscope

#1 Post by Bryan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

I've been trying to learn how to make permanent mounted insect slides and one problem I ran into was manipulating the little buggers into position with the equipment I have. I decided to break down and get a stereo microscope for this purpose. What I got is an Olympus VT-II, it's a good sturdy metal scope in quite good condition. It's mounted on a base with a light and an adjustable concave mirror with a white plate on the other side. The mirror can swivel and rotate to any position. It has 1X and 2X objectives. The eye pieces have a few numbers on them, G20X and 12.2, they are made by Olympus. I'm assuming the 20X is the power.

It has some numbers painted on the back like it was one of several at some kind of institution. I doubt it was a school, it's in too nice of condition for that.

This is my first stereo microscope, besides using them briefly in school long ago I have very little experience with them. It's very simple to operate, I don't think I'll need the instructions for this but if anyone has some to share that would be appreciated. There is very little information about this scope that I can find on the internet. The focus is a little stiff so I may need to clean it out and re-lube the gears. One thing I noticed when adjusting the mirror is that I get a dark field effect, is this normal for stereo scopes? I do enjoy the stereo effect, I think I'm going to have fun with this one.
P6101182+s.jpg
P6101182+s.jpg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 8122 times

MicroBob

Re: Olympus VT-II Stereo Microscope

#2 Post by MicroBob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi Bryan,
congratulations to the new stereo microscope! You will probably find lots of uses for it. I would really really miss mine, at home and at work.
I have an (I think) older Olympus model, the nuclear reactor design type. I use it with 10x eyepieces which resolve everything the objectives have to offer and give a wider field. The original eyepieces were keyhole models where you have to press your eyelids onto the eyepiece to see anything. I bought newer Olympus ones that are much better for me.

Bob

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Bryan wrote:The eye pieces have a few numbers on them, G20X and 12.2, they are made by Olympus. I'm assuming the 20X is the power.
...It's very simple to operate, I don't think I'll need the instructions for this but if anyone has some to share that would be appreciated. There is very little information about this scope that I can find on the internet. The focus is a little stiff so I may need to clean it out and re-lube the gears. One thing I noticed when adjusting the mirror is that I get a dark field effect, is this normal for stereo scopes? I do enjoy the stereo effect, I think I'm going to have fun with this one.
Congratulations!! the stereoscope is a source of fun right from the start.
If finding the instruction manual on Google is futile, I would try and ask Alan Wood through his web site, he is extremely nice and helpful.
I use my scope at the low mag (10 X 1=10) most of the time, the (10 X 4 = 40) is much less useful since the working space is shallow.
the G20X(12.2) is indeed 20X power, 12.2 field diameter. On my microscope, I prefer lower power and wider field. I purchased a pair of non-brand WF10X/23 eyepieces, quite inexpensive of eBay, and I enjoy them a lot. Olympus also offered eyepieces GWH10X(23) and 15X for the VM microscopes, almost sure they fit on the VT.
I cleaned the focusing gear of my stereoscope and lubricated it with Nyogel 767A grease.
The option of simultaneous illumination, trans- and epi-, is a great benefit.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Bryan wrote:One thing I noticed when adjusting the mirror is that I get a dark field effect, is this normal for stereo scopes?
Having directional oblique illumination is not uncommon on stereos, and it is a bit easoer to implement than full 360° darkfield. A lot of high end bases take this approach.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from this scope. I really like the olympus stereos I have used. I agree that gettojg 10x eyepieces is a good idea to broaden your options.

Bryan

#5 Post by Bryan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Thanks for all the information everyone, I'll definitely be looking for some 10X eye pieces. It looks like Olympus made a G10X 22 that should work with this scope properly.

Antonio

#6 Post by Antonio » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Dear Brian, I would ask you for a favour: Would you please measure the internal part of the ring that holds the main part of the microscope. I need this piece and I have seen I can get it at Internet, but I don't know it fits in my microscope. If you can provide a photo with a metre will be much appreciate.
Many thanks

Antonio

Bryan

#7 Post by Bryan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:37 pm

Antonio wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:00 pm
Dear Brian, I would ask you for a favour: Would you please measure the internal part of the ring that holds the main part of the microscope. I need this piece and I have seen I can get it at Internet, but I don't know it fits in my microscope. If you can provide a photo with a metre will be much appreciate.
Many thanks

Antonio
If this is what you are talking about it looks like about 2.35 inches or 5.99 cm.
Olympus VT-II.jpg
Olympus VT-II.jpg (66.78 KiB) Viewed 5717 times

Antonio

#8 Post by Antonio » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Dear Brian, many thanks for your quick response. And for the nice photo.

Now it is clear that the body of my microscope would not fit inside this ring. I have an Olympus SZ-III, and the internal diametre of the ring is 83 mm.
I will try another way.

Thanks again and regards

Antonio