My Kit

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
rnabholz

My Kit

#1 Post by rnabholz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:02 am

Hello all,

I have been asked a couple times about sharing information about my equipment, so I thought I would take a moment and offer up some info and pics.

My compound scope is an American Optical One Fifty. It features an adjustable condenser with iris, mechanical stage, variable quartz halogen lighting, a swing in auxiliary condenser, a quad turret, and bino head. I have it outfitted with a nice matched set of AO Plan Achro Objectives in 2.5, 4, 10, 20 40 and 100x Oil. This is my first serious scope, and I am well pleased with it.

My Stereo Scope is an American Optical Cycloptic Model 56. Outfitted with 15x oculars, it offers 15, 20x and 30x. I also have the 2/3rds auxiliary lens making 10, 15, and 20x. The optics are wonderful and the ergonomics are great as well. It is a real pleasure to use, and I always come away from a session saying "wow".

For imaging I have settled on a couple of different rigs. A Sony DSC V3 camera on a digiscoping mount for afocal stills. Very sturdy and capable camera that works very well in this role.

More and more I find myself turning to my Nexus 6 Cell phone. It offers a 13mp camera with extended dynamic range capabilities that seems to really work well in this application. In addition, with push of a button, it will capture full HD video with excellent results. I use it afocally, handheld and mounted via a digiscoping mount and cell phone tripod adapter. The mount is very helpful for freeing hands to manipulate the stage and focus for moving subjects.

I also picked up a Spencer Model 33 and a matching 735 illuminator and have some fun playing with it as well.

Pics Below!
Attachments
AO 150 and 56 Side.jpg
AO 150 and 56 Side.jpg (152.61 KiB) Viewed 16548 times
AO 150 and 56 front.jpg
AO 150 and 56 front.jpg (155 KiB) Viewed 16548 times
sonyprofile.jpg
sonyprofile.jpg (59.8 KiB) Viewed 16548 times
bskit.JPG
bskit.JPG (82.43 KiB) Viewed 16548 times
735setup.jpg
735setup.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 16548 times
Last edited by rnabholz on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: My Kit

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:43 am

That is some very nice equipment and general set up. Have heard nice things about American Optical.
I have to say that I really like both your illuminators and your stainless steel bench. Nice spread of objectives.
Do you have a Field Diaphragm or are you using Critical illumination?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Mintaka

#3 Post by Mintaka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:11 am

What a solid and classy looking microscope. Classic. I especially like the glossy dove grey finish.

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:52 am

75RR wrote:That is some very nice equipment and general set up. Have heard nice things about American Optical.
I have to say that I really like both your illuminators and your stainless steel bench. Nice spread of objectives.
Do you have a Field Diaphragm or are you using Critical illumination?
Thank you. I have found the AO stuff to be very well made and optically excellent as well. It is also readily available at reasonable prices, which was an important consideration as a beginner.

The One Fifty does not have a field diaphragm. Ironically the Spencer 33 and 735 illuminator, which does offer a field diaphragm, will accommodate Kohler Illumination which I have played around with a bit.

Thanks

Rod

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Beautiful and excellent equipment (and appears to be in excellent shape). Congratulations on assembling and organizing it so well.

rnabholz

#6 Post by rnabholz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks Mintaka and Gekko.

Dale

#7 Post by Dale » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:23 am

gorgeous, I wish there were more lab pix. Where would one find an AO56, and what's a ballpark cost?
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:46 am

gorgeous, I wish there were more lab pix. Where would one find an AO56, and what's a ballpark cost?
Hi Dale, a good way to get a ballpark figure is to go to ebay, click on advanced (it is next to search), enter the description, in this case "American Optical Cycloptic Model 56" then tick Sold listings, then hit search.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Charles

#9 Post by Charles » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 am

Ebay is a good way to get an idea of going prices but don't limit yourself on just searching for the 56 since there are a wide variety of models for the AO Cycloptics. They have different magnification options, lighting options including lighting bases and boom stand models.

Here are a couple on lighted bases and one with a photo tube.
AO Cycloptics
AO Cycloptics
AO+Cycloptic+Two+Left.jpg (95.39 KiB) Viewed 16463 times

Dale

#10 Post by Dale » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:41 am

Just spent an hour there, with no luck unless I opened the search to all stereo microscopes. I have spent some time
at the Xmission site, but there were so many options I gave up. The boom models seemed quite a bit cheaper, is that
just from the lack of popularity? Will go back and study some more.

Charles

#11 Post by Charles » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:58 am

Hi Dale,
Search for AO Stereo Microscopes and you'll get all the different models including the zoom scopes. Here is a nice one for about the going price for these: 121587374828. The prisms in some of these do shift in the head and can be misaligned, so make sure you ask them to look through them at a object like a coin and make sure they are not seeing double vision where the object doesn't exactly overlap each other in each eye tube.

The boom stand ones are heavy and take up more space, but they are a lot more convenient in that you don't need a stage and you can move it swing it around to where you need it and then swing it back out of the way when you don't.

The AO Cycloptics come in a basic configuration. The different models refer to the number of magnifiers in the mag changer and the type of stand it has. The basic stand can screw onto a light base and it becomes a different model. The whole head is mounted on a boom stand and it becomes a different model. The mag changer may only have one magnification or 3-5 and it becomes a different model. Sellers don't usually list them as a particular model, so a general search for AO stereo microscopes will get you most of the.

Dale

#12 Post by Dale » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm

I think I could fix the prism mirror you mentioned, the Xmission repair page has a very detailed procedure. I am really just gathering data as my AO-10 trinocular is still in limbo and my funds are running low.
There is a cool website named GovDeals where surplus stuff is auctioned off, but there is NO shipping. They sell stuff from the post office, schools,etc. I have seen pallets of microscopes!
I am watching this one 111651247506 what do you think?
Dale

rnabholz

#13 Post by rnabholz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Sorry I am late in responding, but you have gotten some very good advice.

The issue either the misaligned prisms is very common. Bought one that bad before getting a good one. The fix is tricky, so just beware.

My understanding is that the AO "cycloptic" scopes are a bit better optically than the zoom models, but I do not have first hand experience on that.

The various cycloptic models vary in magnification level and lighting, so depending on your needs, many models may work for you.

As to cost, It varies, but $100 to $200 should get a good one bought, a fantastic bargain in my opinion.

There is a catalog for the Cycloptic available for download at the XOMission sight that can be useful for reference as you shop.

Good Luck

Rod

Charles

#14 Post by Charles » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Dale,

I've bought from that seller before and I'm sure he would be willing to negotiate a best offer price. The negative is that the stage is missing the stage plate but you can use most anything to replace it and it doesn't need to be glass if used with reflected light and the shipping is high. The bonus is the light/transformer and 15X eye pieces.

The one I suggested has the transmitted light base, stage glass, the shipping is half as much and it's also listed as best offer so you should be able to pick it up for cheaper than the BIN price. No light but you can always pickup a cheap one later or even use gooseneck lamps for reflected light and for transmitted. Ikea has the Janscko LED lamps for $10 which work great.

But in either case, make sure the mag changer rotates and works, the focus knob works the head up and down and see it they are aligned.

Sorry Rob for hijacking your post but you inspired someone with your setup! :-)
Charles

rnabholz

#15 Post by rnabholz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Charles wrote: Sorry Rob for hijacking your post but you inspired someone with your setup! :-)
Charles
No worry at all. If something I did causes someone to end up with an AO Cycloptic, well, that has to be good for the old karma. ;^)

Dale

#16 Post by Dale » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:56 am

Rob, what make and model of led illuminating ring are you using? I've been reading that adapters are needed
for the B&L scopes. Some include an adapter ring, but don't say from what to what! Do you think it matters
how many led's there are? I would think that heat would be the determining factor in the rings life span, so fewer
elements might be better?
Dale

rnabholz

#17 Post by rnabholz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:59 am

Hi Dale,

Mine came from eBay, it is this one: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 64&alt=web

I went big, 144 LEDs, not sure that heat is a big issue with LEDs, but it is dimmable, and I often use it at less than full power. At a cost of $25 shipped, it is a good value, and darn near disposable. It does works well for many situations.

While it may seem that this type of light is the perfect lighting solution, there are times when something a bit different seems to work a bit better. For example, reflective specimens, like a petri dish of water, will return a perfect reflection of the led ring array, interfering with your observation. The lighting can also be very flat, and sometimes will not do the best job of revealing fine detail. In those cases, a light positioned slightly off axis can be a better choice. That is the reason for the AO Illuminator that you see in the photo. It addresses those situation nicely.

Can't shed any light on the adapter question, no experience with that, sorry.

Rod

Dale

#18 Post by Dale » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks Rod. I'm trying to find that model in US. It is shaped a little different than most, so I believe that is why you
did not need an adapter. Or else your scope has a supplemental lens which protudes down far enough for the light to
fasten to. If the scope has the normal objective you buy a 38mm adapter ring for the light to fasten to, another $30.
You have l.e.d. me in the right direction,
Dale

rnabholz

#19 Post by rnabholz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:42 am

pic
Attachments
img_20151023_192342_std.jpg
img_20151023_192342_std.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 15973 times

gekko

#20 Post by gekko » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:38 am

Good to see again a post from you, Rod. I hope we will soon see some of your beautiful pictures taken through your microscope.

rnabholz

#21 Post by rnabholz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Gekko,

I am sure you will again soon. The warmer weather takes me away from the microscope to other interests. But it is starting to get a bit cooler, which means more scope time is coming.

Rod

charlie g

#22 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Rod and gekko...I am quite pleased this thread openned again,,,I love your spacious metal 'bench',Rod.

I had immediate family in Ottumwa,Ia, Rod...so it is nice for me to visit your Iowa microscopes at your bench.

Yes,yes I love seeing those microscopes you share, and it's always great to have Charles offer the detailed comments on the microscopes (so thank you too,Charles...hijacker or not!).

all the best, charlie guevara

rnabholz

#23 Post by rnabholz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:31 am

charlie g wrote:Hi Rod and gekko...I am quite pleased this thread openned again,,,I love your spacious metal 'bench',Rod.

I had immediate family in Ottumwa,Ia, Rod...so it is nice for me to visit your Iowa microscopes at your bench.

Yes,yes I love seeing those microscopes you share, and it's always great to have Charles offer the detailed comments on the microscopes (so thank you too,Charles...hijacker or not!).

all the best, charlie guevara
Thanks Charlie,

On behalf of Iowa, glad to have your visit, via internet or otherwise.

The story on the stainless bench. My Stepfather was in commercial refrigeration. One of the chain grocery stores had an outbreak of Listeria in their deli department. This table was a food prep table in that deli. With the potential liability, the grocery store was taking no chances that the steam cleaning and antibacterial treatments they subjected the deli to solved the problem, and the ordered the removal and disposal of all of the kitchen equipment. My Stepfather took the opportunity to snag a number of these tables. We cleaned them again with bleach, and as none are involved in food preparation, I think we are perfectly safe. He has the nicest garage work benches in the state. He offered, and I took this one. It is perfect for this hobby - among others.

Dale

#24 Post by Dale » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:44 am

Question: did you have any trouble keeping your ringlight on whatever your scope has?
I have a Bausch & Lomb Stereozoom with the 2X aux-lens. My ringlight is nearly identical
to yours, but the aux-lens is tapered, which lets the light drop off. The ringlight screws
are blunt, so I'm thinking of sharpening them, or maybe drilling a slight recess into the
lens barrel for the screws to fit into.
The extra magnification doesn't offset the loss of working distance, but I'm still new at
this, and it was a challenge finding the aux-lens.
Any ideas?
Dale

rnabholz

#25 Post by rnabholz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Dale wrote:Question: did you have any trouble keeping your ringlight on whatever your scope has?
I have a Bausch & Lomb Stereozoom with the 2X aux-lens. My ringlight is nearly identical
to yours, but the aux-lens is tapered, which lets the light drop off. The ringlight screws
are blunt, so I'm thinking of sharpening them, or maybe drilling a slight recess into the
lens barrel for the screws to fit into.
The extra magnification doesn't offset the loss of working distance, but I'm still new at
this, and it was a challenge finding the aux-lens.
Any ideas?
Dale
Sorry for the delayed response.

I did not have any issues with that.

Might I suggest adding 3 quarter inch square pieces of the foam based double sided tape to the spots that the ring lights screws contact the objective? The compression of the foam will give the screws something to bite into, and it easily removable at any time.

Hope that helps

Rod

Dale

#26 Post by Dale » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 am

i ended up using the mototool and grinding 2 screws to a chisel point, and letting the 3rd screw push the
light into them. Has worked out very well. Now to mount the Olympus stage, then the specimen holders, is
it ever over?
Dale

rnabholz

#27 Post by rnabholz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Dale wrote:is it ever over?
Dale
I hope not, then the fun would end!

Dale

#28 Post by Dale » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:16 am

Amen

rnabholz

#29 Post by rnabholz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:17 am

I made a change in the Line Up Card.

I sold the One Fifty and acquired an American Optical One Ten.

I was interested in the capability of the One Ten to do Kohler Illumination. The unit i picked up has a 5 position turret that I have populated with 2.5, 4, 10, 20, and 40 Plan Objectives and a matched 100 in reserve as needed.

It is working great and is a pleasure to use. Here are some pics
Attachments
OneTenQuarterL.jpg
OneTenQuarterL.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 15674 times
OneTenSide.jpg
OneTenSide.jpg (77.51 KiB) Viewed 15674 times
OneTenBase.jpg
OneTenBase.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 15674 times
OneTenHead.jpg
OneTenHead.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 15674 times
OneTenTurret.jpg
OneTenTurret.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 15674 times