My Kit

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
rnabholz

Re: My Kit

#91 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:42 am

In a "Oh What the Heck" moment on Ebay recently placed a last minute bid and I picked up a nice little gem at bargain price.

The transaction was not as smooth as I would have liked, the scope, advertised as in "operating condition" arrived with a cracked eyepiece and bent focuser knob. The seller claimed it must have happened in shipping, but a closer examination of the auction photos with knowledge of what to look for showed the eyepiece crack. After a short negotiation, he refunded my money and told me to keep it.

I took the refund and found a replacement eyepiece and ordered it. And after some redneck adjustments on the focuser knob, a little elbow grease and TLC, this little beauty graces my bench.
SpencerVintageStereoFront.jpg
SpencerVintageStereoFront.jpg (96.94 KiB) Viewed 11412 times
SpencerVintageStereoSide.jpg
SpencerVintageStereoSide.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 11412 times
SpencerVintageStereoRear.jpg
SpencerVintageStereoRear.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 11412 times
SpencerVintageStereoLogo.jpg
SpencerVintageStereoLogo.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 11412 times
SpencerVintageStereoAtWork.jpg
SpencerVintageStereoAtWork.jpg (104.94 KiB) Viewed 11412 times
The image that it throws up is really a delight. The eyepieces are 9x and the objectives are 3x yielding 27x. I was so pleased with the view I headed back to ebay and found the 2x objective which will add 18x to the mix. Keeping an eye out for the 1x as well.

This model is a single magnification version. The objectives swap into a positive dovetail/pin arrangement, simple and quick. Other versions of the stand exist with a revolving turret that can carry multiple objectives that rotate into place.

I put it right to use cleaning objectives. The size is perfect for quick deployment and easy storage. You surely don't want to put this beauty away.
Last edited by rnabholz on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

#92 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:58 am

Rod,

Did you miss your Cycloptic so much so that you bought this as replacement :mrgreen:

I thought the Cycloptic would provide better optical quality, though many people like black beauty, which I understand.

rnabholz

#93 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:55 am

zzffnn wrote:Rod,

Did you miss your Cycloptic so much so that you bought this as replacement :mrgreen:

I thought the Cycloptic would provide better optical quality, though many people like black beauty, which I understand.
I sold one Cycloptic, but I still have one, not much chance that will change. I haven't compared them side by side, and probably won't make that a high priority, cause I am really happy with it for what it is. As you say, a Black Beauty. :D

rnabholz

#94 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 am

Based on the serial number, I believe the manufacturing date to be 1943.

73 years young!

zzffnn

#95 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:19 am

I think AO cat# 147 15x eyepieces would fit on it, as well as on your Cycloptic.

gekko

#96 Post by gekko » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Very sleek. Congratulations!

75RR

#97 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Nice looking stereoscope. Glad it found a good home.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

rnabholz

#98 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks gekko and 75.

apochronaut

#99 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:45 pm

zzffnn wrote:I think AO cat# 147 15x eyepieces would fit on it, as well as on your Cycloptic.

no. The actual eyepiece pairs for that group of stereo microscopes 22,23,25,26,28 and 29 were newly devised W.F. 23mm types at the time. Previously, W.F. was obtained at Spencer and probably everyone else by using 30mm barrels.
The fields on those eyepieces # 184 9X, # 185 12X, # 186 15X and # 187 18X were very wide for their time and specifically corrected for curvature, over the entire field, to compensate for the curvature defects of the 7 objectives that were developed along with them. Curvature of field in objectives in those days was almost a given. While there are numerous patents out there, showing that experimentally, the issue was solvable, probably the cost to mass produce such objectives for schools and labs, was probably exorbitant. Cat.#'s 184 and 186 by the way were reused for later eyepieces, designed for infinity corrected diascopic microscopes.
The W.F. eyepieces developed for the 2/4 series( # 146 and #147), when used with those objectives, have excessive curvature of field, coma and lateral chromatic aberration. They also exhibit much perspective distortion.
Other , later eyepieces, designed for stereo microscopes, that I have tried on those objectives are mostly o.k., for about 80% of the field but develop coma, over the rest of it. # 145 works o.k., # 134 is terrible, and all of the B & L 23mm stereo eyepieces are terrible. Oddly, AO # 186, a 25X W.F., made for the 569,570 and 572 stereostars, is excellent, probably because it is imaging only the central part of the objective and vignetting the majority of the curvature.
146 and 147 are o.k. for the Cycloptic, though. There is also a 147B, which I think might be more appropriate but I don't know the difference in performance exactly. The 147B, has a slightly different curvature, which possibly flattens the field a little with the Cycloptic.

KurtM

#100 Post by KurtM » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Boy, that turned out to be a real beauty, particularly with the price in mind! Bonus points: the glass stage looks great, they're most often badly scratched from years of use.

It reminds me of the little B&L stereo I ran across in an antique shop years ago, and gave less than thirty bucks for. Also a single magnification of 30x in straight-thru eyepieces, it's ultra compact, and the razor sharp optics are simply astonishing - all of which is equally true of these old Spencers (of which I have a few). A great snag, and very nice to see someone else appreciating these grand old instruments. It always grieves me a little to see newcomers dash straight to Amscope, et al, when these can deliver more for less.

Phil, thanks for the eyepiece education!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

rnabholz

#101 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Hey Phil,

Wonderful and useful information on the eyepieces. The 184s do seem to be very well corrected indeed with as you say a pleasantly wide field too.

They are however a bit tight on eye relief for spectacle wearing users, but manageable.

The 9x magnification with the 3x and 2x objectives and hopefully at some point adding a 1x, should cover my typical uses pretty well. Combined with the smaller form and footprint compared with the Cycloptic, I think it will see regular use.

rnabholz

#102 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks Kurt.

Yes the stage is in remarkably good shape. A couple of small clamshell chips on the back corners that are relatively hidden are the only real defects.

I did a good cleaning of the eyepieces, objectives and prisms just before the photo shoot last night and was astonished at just how good the views were. Really something!

As you say, the value for the money is great, For reference (not by way of boasting :oops: ), the auction ended at $20 plus $16 shipping. Because of the issues that entire amount was refunded. I spent $24 shipped to grab the only listed original replacement eyepiece, and have now spent another $26 shipped on the 2x objective.

Obviously you sometimes have to be willing to do a little more with these type of deals to end up with a working scope, but I consider it a challenge and fun, so that only adds to the value for me.

zzffnn

#103 Post by zzffnn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Rod,

I apologize for misleading you on the eyepiece (compensation of macroscope). I was told by a guy who is experienced in macroscope and gemology that most macroscope of that age do not use eyepiece compensation and that one can use most eyepieces with those.

But in view of what Apochronaut said, it is safer to stick with the original eyepieces. I have not critically examine this issue.

rnabholz

#104 Post by rnabholz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 pm

No harm done zz.

My inclination with stereo is to get the lower power end of the magnification spectrum established first anyway, so I am likely to stand pat with the 9x pair.

Thanks

Rod

rnabholz

#105 Post by rnabholz » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:41 pm

img_0612_std.jpg
img_0612_std.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 11304 times
More pictures here:

http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/Ameri ... /index.htm

After recent experience with an Ortho Illuminator under an American Optical 10, I found having a 100 watt lamp could be an advantage for photography. I have that system set up as a dedicated darkfield stand, and as I also had an interest in Phase Contrast it set me to thinking about another stand.

I became interested in the AO 20 as a possible solution. It offered some accessory compatibility to the 10, sported some interesting and useful features like the integrated filter system, and of course, had the 100 watt lighting that would be an asset, especially for Phase Contrast.

I had begun to gather the pieces for a phase system over a month or two as deals would pop up on eBay. First up was the 10 and 40x Plan Achro dark phase objectives. Then came the matching 100x.

Kurt had mentioned that he might have a Phase Condenser Turret he would let go, so I took him up on his offer and we struck a deal. He advised that he did not have the 100x annulus, so that was added to the shopping list.

Needing the annulus and the 20x Plan Phase objective. I placed a Wanted Ad on MicrobeHunter and sent a couple of emails as well to people that I knew might be able to help. Charles stepped forward, and was able to supply both for me and so a deal was made.

Special Thanks to both Kurt and Charles for their help.

I had the bits for the phase system, now I needed a stand.
Watching eBay for a AO 20, eventually one turned up. Seemed to be in good shape, trinoc, lampholder and transformer included and in working order. As I was watching the listing and contemplating the purchase, the seller lowered the price 20%, which I took as a sign, and bought it.

Upon arrival all seemed to be as represented. Even before cleaning it up I stepped through the setup procedure for a quick look in brightfield. It became immediately clear something was wrong. There was a very large shadow showing in the 10x field whose presence could be seen to a lesser, but unacceptable degree at higher powers as well. Further inspection showed that the rear condenser was cracked. Not good.
DSC_4590-480x853.JPG
DSC_4590-480x853.JPG (99.03 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
IMG_20160723_084539-600x800-600x800.jpg
IMG_20160723_084539-600x800-600x800.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I advised the seller of the issue, and after a quick discussion we agreed that I would see if I could find the part to fix it, if I could I would advise as to the cost and the seller would decide how they wanted to proceed.

After a wanted ad and some calls did not turn up the part, I started to consider buying a parts stand. I found one in good shape that was missing the lampholder and transformer, I advised the original seller of the cost and we settled on a refund that amounted to about half of the original scope's cost.

I asked the seller of the parts stand to check the rear condenser to assure me that it was not cracked, and finding it was in good shape the deal was made.

A few days later it arrived. While a bit dusty, it was in good shape. I removed the bottom plate to swap out the condensers, and immediately noticed that things were very different. The condenser seemed to be of a different design, the cast metal lamphouse frame was different with a different sheet metal shielding around it. The entire lamphouse was positioned further back by about an inch. This might be a problem.
First Stand
First Stand
IMG_20160728_184731-800x600.jpg (124.07 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
Second Stand
Second Stand
IMG_20160728_184633-800x600.jpg (122.02 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
As I sat and contemplated the issue, I examined the scope a bit further. It really was in good shape. It had a nice graduated stage that also showed less wear than the first scope. It also amazingly had all eight of the filters present in the filter wheels, where as the first scope had none. It seemed to me that the difference in the lamphouse arrangement was likely an advantage as well. It occurred to me that maybe this was the stand to use to build my system.

I installed the lampholder and turned the transformer to the lowest position, 9.5V. The lamp was incredibly bright. I had removed the filters for cleaning and it was clear that I needed to get at least the neutral density filters back in place to be able to use the scope. I cleaned and reinstalled all of the filter and tried again with the 50% ND filter in line - much better.

After a quick look at the manual for a refresher on the Kohler set up procedure for this scope, it was throwing up some very nice views. The stage movements were a bit stiff, but nothing that couldn't be addressed with cleaning and relubing. This was the stand.

After a good and thorough dusting, cleaning up stains, scuffs, adhesive tape residue, and some cleaning and relubing some of the mechanisms, it was looking great and working well.

Installation and calibration of the phase system went without issue. I had picked up the AO Phasestar Aperture Viewing Unit for the scope. Installed under the head, it performs the task of the phase telescope in helping align the phase ring in the objective with the phase annulus in the turret. It is a very nice convenience, and made dialing in the phase system quick and easy.

So while it took a bit more effort and time than I planned, in the end I accomplished what I had set out to do. A really nice 100 watt stand with a great Phase Contrast system. Now to mount up that camera and get to "work".
Last edited by rnabholz on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Charles

#106 Post by Charles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Yup! Well worth the effort!

Looks real good Rod!

75RR

#107 Post by 75RR » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Agree with Charles - well worth it indeed - it will outlast us all!

KurtM

#108 Post by KurtM » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Ehhh, quit stalling, I wanna see some images. 8-) :lol:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

gekko

#109 Post by gekko » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Sounds like you're in business. Thanks for the interesting story and I'm glad it turned out well.

rnabholz

#110 Post by rnabholz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:46 am

Charles wrote:Yup! Well worth the effort!

Looks real good Rod!
Thank you Charles, of course, the effort is at least half the fun. Thanks again for the help.

Rod

rnabholz

#111 Post by rnabholz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 am

75RR wrote:Agree with Charles - well worth it indeed - it will outlast us all!
Thanks 75,

Do you suppose it will end up in my estate sale, be acquired by an eBay reseller and sold again? In the event that will happen, I will endeavor to leave it in operating condition for the next guy...... ;^)

rnabholz

#112 Post by rnabholz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 am

KurtM wrote:Ehhh, quit stalling, I wanna see some images. 8-) :lol:
While you were here rabblerousing, I was editing photos..... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3552

rnabholz

#113 Post by rnabholz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:53 am

gekko wrote:Sounds like you're in business. Thanks for the interesting story and I'm glad it turned out well.
Thanks Gekko, yes I think so.

I hope some of you out there find the story interesting. I do think that kind of thing is a common occurrence with Ebay sellers, so I thought that sharing the experience might help someone make a decision on whether they want to undertake that process.

Obviously it can have a happy ending, but might require more patience than some have.

Thanks for the interest,

Rod

75RR

#114 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 am

rnabholz wrote:
Thanks 75,

Do you suppose it will end up in my estate sale, be acquired by an eBay reseller and sold again? In the event that will happen, I will endeavor to leave it in operating condition for the next guy...... ;^)
With solid well built equipment one should always think of the next guy - because there will be one.
(You might as well go whole hog and plant a tree as well) ;)

If you post the serial number along with photos of it and also add it to photos taken with it - and if you do this long enough to be picked up by one of the search crawler bots - who knows ... the new owner might be able to trace it.

rnabholz

#115 Post by rnabholz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

75RR wrote:
rnabholz wrote:
Thanks 75,

With solid well built equipment one should always think of the next guy - because there will be one.
(You might as well go whole hog and plant a tree as well) ;)

If you post the serial number along with photos of it and also add it to photos taken with it - and if you do this long enough to be picked up by one of the search crawler bots - who knows ... the new owner might be able to trace it.
An Interwebs Time Capsule of sorts. Interesting idea.

Of course I expect that the Smithsonian will want mine...baaaahahahaha.

rnabholz

#116 Post by rnabholz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:36 am

I saw this on the Ol' Ebay recently and for a mere pittance and a smidge more for shipping she was mine.

The drive screw was frozen when it arrived, but with a bit of messing about I was able to get it loose, relubed and working again.

It is in very nice shape and great working order. Should be fun to use.

A Swift Table Microtome
SM Out Box.jpg
SM Out Box.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 10988 times
SM Side.jpg
SM Side.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 10988 times
SM Top.jpg
SM Top.jpg (114.95 KiB) Viewed 10988 times
SM Works.jpg
SM Works.jpg (112.07 KiB) Viewed 10988 times
SM Sheet.jpg
SM Sheet.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 10988 times

75RR

#117 Post by 75RR » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:52 am

That is a neat little microtome! I want one!!!

rnabholz

#118 Post by rnabholz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:17 am

75RR wrote:That is a neat little microtome! I want one!!!
Thanks 75. It is kinda cool isn't it?

I wish I could tell you where to get one. I am sure they are out there somewhere.

rnabholz

#119 Post by rnabholz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Here's a brand new one:. http://www.carolina.com/instructional-e ... /628164.pr

A bit pricey.... Maybe the included knife is a REALLY good one.....

zzffnn

#120 Post by zzffnn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Isn't your AO microtome jealous ;)