Olympus BX60F

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Olympus BX60F

#1 Post by zero » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:20 pm

I posted a few photos in my intro but I suppose it would be better placed here. I have an Olympus BX60F with a UplanFL N 4x PhP, UPlanFL N 10x, Plan N 20x, UPlanSApo 40x, UPlanApo 60x, and UPlanApo 100x Oil. I use a Lumenera Infinity 2-3C with Infinity Analyze 7 and Photoshop CC for my capturing/post-processing. The one downside with the Lumenera is the frame-rate however, I really don't want to spend another $1500 on the LMScope tube for my DSLR. I currently have phase, fluorescent, and dark-field capability but was wondering if anyone familiar with the BX series can tell me what I will need to take advantage of DIC on my particular setup.

I also just recently picked up a Leitz 1512 microtome for a crazy low price. However, I could use some advice on how to service it as I have no idea what Letiz Oil #601 or grease #410 are. So, I hope someone can help there!

Image
Image
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

MicroBob
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:11 am
Location: Northern Germany

Re: Olympus BX60F

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:44 am

Hi Zero,
You've got a nice setup there, even with a little chemistry lab corner!
A microtome is more or less a machine tool and can be lubricated like one. First check: Are the lubricated parts from plastics? Then you would need a lubricant that is compatible with it. All metal: Oil is generally better than grease as it carries dirt and wear to the outside while with grease it is trapped. I would suggest HLP 68 (or lawn mower motor oil) for general lubrication, GLP 68 when it has to stick a bit better, GLP 220 when it has to stick even on vertical surfaces. Don't use four stroke HD motor oil or EP gear oils or greases (too many additives, smelly, unhealthy).

Bob

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#3 Post by zero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:33 am

Hi Bob, thank you for the information. It's all metal so I figured a standard gear oil would be fine. I can't seem to find GLP 220 online anywhere stateside but I did find some equivalents.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

User avatar
mrsonchus
Posts: 3813
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: Olympus BX60F

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:00 am

Hi zero, I use sewing-machine oil on my 'tome's (Shandon) advance threads. I use mine quite often but it only seems to require oil about once every couple of years if that!
John B

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#5 Post by zero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:33 am

That's exactly the type of oil I ordered! Good to know. Thanks!
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

PrecisionInstruments
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 11:44 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Olympus BX60F

#6 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:31 am

Hi Zero,
The 1512 is a great instrument that will stand the length of time, if not having done so already.
Leica’s 410 is Kluber Nontrop KR 291. This is used on the knife holder bed, as well as the vertical dovetail type bearing. There are rubber pads used in these bearing surfaces that you have to be carful not not bend or damage.
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#7 Post by zero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:15 am

It certainly feels like it will last another 30 years--if not more. Thanks, however, it's a bit hard to get some of these stateside without ordering direct or oversees. I can get the Kluber Microlube GL261 fairly easily which accordingly to Kluber is designed especially for "micromovements." I believe that would work well for the knife-holder bed.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

User avatar
ImperatorRex
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#8 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 am

Hi Zero,
the adaption of a DSLR to your BX60F can be done rather cheap: just a tube without any optics:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5930&start=60#p73297.
The intermediate image of the microscope fits the size of DSLR with APS-C sensor size.

david_b
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Re: Olympus BX60F

#9 Post by david_b » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm

That Lumenera is $3600 for 3.3mp? :shock:

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#10 Post by zero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:03 pm

That's interesting... I wondered if it could simply be projected onto a sensor as is... I'm confused as to what benefits those optical tubes actually have then. That's great to know, thanks!
david_b wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm
That Lumenera is $3600 for 3.3mp? :shock:
The Lumenera came with my scope so I definitely did not buy it, hah! The best part is actually the software you gain access to. I do want to see how it fairs against my D300s. From what I read and understand is that anything above 1.4MP is akin to empty magnification, just empty resolution. Now that I can get a phototube for the Nikon for fairly cheap, I'll try it out and see.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: Olympus BX60F

#11 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:32 pm

david_b wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm
That Lumenera is $3600 for 3.3mp? :shock:
I guess that it is a highly sensitive camera, probably much more sensitive than a DSLR, at least in some parts of the spectrum. For scientific fluorescence studies, sensitivity can be more important than the no. of pixels. The main challenge in fluorescence is often the very low brightness of the image.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

MicroBob
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:11 am
Location: Northern Germany

Re: Olympus BX60F

#12 Post by MicroBob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:54 pm

zero wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:03 pm
From what I read and understand is that anything above 1.4MP is akin to empty magnification, just empty resolution.
Hi Zero,

the resolution in the miroscope image depends on covered field and numeric aperture of the objective.
A 10:1 objective covers 100 times the area of a 100:1 objective. The n.a. is typically one fifth of that of the 100:1. So the image contains 20 times the overall information than that of the 100:1 objective. I couldn't calculate this but I would estimate from experience that 1,4 MP are not quite enough to capture all available detail from the 100:1. For the 10:1 or lower it won't be sufficient. On the other hand side: For the max. 1024 x 1024 images for this forum it might just do! :D
Most cameras don't offer a 1:1 use of every single pixel, so it is recommended to capture with a bit more pixels and downsize to final size.

Bob

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#13 Post by zero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that information. According to Leica, at higher magnification, maximum effective is around 3-5MP (https://www.leica-microsystems.com/comp ... pplication).
Driven by the mega-pixel hungry consumer market, which users know from photography, digital resolution, or quantity of pixels, is easily misperceived as image quality. Truth is, micro-imaging applications require less pixels than macro-imaging. If you work mostly at very high magnifications, the optical system is limited to about 3–5 megapixels that can be transferred to the sensor of a camera. Setting the camera to a high resolution of, say, 12 megapixels would produce a larger image, but you would not gain any additional information.
As for calculating, I gave it shot, but I have no idea, LOL. However, Nikon has made it easy: https://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials/m ... ion#table1

The camera uses a Sony ICX262 progressive scan CCD sensor. From the spec-sheet, it seems the sensor has a higher dynamic range at low light so Hobby is probably correct. Practically, its color reproduction and low-light sensitivity have been phenomenal. However, personally, the software is what really keeps me from getting a DSLR adapter.

Still learning. Always learning.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

david_b
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Re: Olympus BX60F

#14 Post by david_b » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:32 pm
david_b wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm
That Lumenera is $3600 for 3.3mp? :shock:
I guess that it is a highly sensitive camera, probably much more sensitive than a DSLR, at least in some parts of the spectrum. For scientific fluorescence studies, sensitivity can be more important than the no. of pixels. The main challenge in fluorescence is often the very low brightness of the image.
You must be right though I'm not sure how this is measured.
The spec sheet lists the dynamic range as 58db - about the same as a high end DSLR

User avatar
hkv
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#15 Post by hkv » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 pm

zero wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:20 pm
I currently have phase, fluorescent, and dark-field capability but was wondering if anyone familiar with the BX series can tell me what I will need to take advantage of DIC on my particular setup.

You need DIC prisms in the condenser. The condensers that take prisms are U-UCD8 and U-UCDB. DIC can be achieved for Fluorite-objectives and APOs. For the Flourites, you will need the prism called "DPx", eg. DP20 for the 20X objective and so on. The APOs take the DICx prism. For the SAPO40X, you will need the prism DIC40. There is manual of the U-UCD8 on the internet that lists the prisms you need for different objectives. I do not think you can achieve DIC with the plain PlanN objectives. At least not officially, but it may work if you try different prisms.

I see that you have the correct turret with a slot for the DIC-slider. You can buy U-DICTS or U-DICT. I prefer U-DICTS. Then you just need an analyzer in a slot above the objective turret. I have a slot for that purpose in my fluorescent attachment, but otherwise there is an intermediate piece with a slot for the analyzer that you can find on ebay (U-OPA).

So in short:

Condenser U-UCDB or U-UCD8 (Possible with both oil and dry top lens (U-TLD and U-TLO))
DIC-prism (DPx and DICx). One for each objective you will use.
U-DICTS
U-PO (I think) for used with the slot in a fluorescent attachment. U-AN360P for use with U-OPA intermediate attachment. Look at the parts diagram here to make sure you get the right-sized filters for the slot you want to use.

Then you are good to go!

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#16 Post by zero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:04 pm

hkv wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 pm
zero wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:20 pm
I currently have phase, fluorescent, and dark-field capability but was wondering if anyone familiar with the BX series can tell me what I will need to take advantage of DIC on my particular setup.

You need DIC prisms in the condenser. The condensers that take prisms are U-UCD8 and U-UCDB. DIC can be achieved for Fluorite-objectives and APOs. For the Flourites, you will need the prism called "DPx", eg. DP20 for the 20X objective and so on. The APOs take the DICx prism. For the SAPO40X, you will need the prism DIC40. There is manual of the U-UCD8 on the internet that lists the prisms you need for different objectives. I do not think you can achieve DIC with the plain PlanN objectives. At least not officially, but it may work if you try different prisms.

I see that you have the correct turret with a slot for the DIC-slider. You can buy U-DICTS or U-DICT. I prefer U-DICTS. Then you just need an analyzer in a slot above the objective turret. I have a slot for that purpose in my fluorescent attachment, but otherwise there is an intermediate piece with a slot for the analyzer that you can find on ebay (U-OPA).

So in short:

Condenser U-UCDB or U-UCD8 (Possible with both oil and dry top lens (U-TLD and U-TLO))
DIC-prism (DPx and DICx). One for each objective you will use.
U-DICTS
U-PO (I think) for used with the slot in a fluorescent attachment. U-AN360P for use with U-OPA intermediate attachment. Look at the parts diagram here to make sure you get the right-sized filters for the slot you want to use.

Then you are good to go!
This is perfect! Thank you! However, seeing the prices I'll probably piece it together over time when I can find decent deals. I also have the U-AN analyzer. I believe I will need the U-ANT though for transmitted, correct?
Last edited by zero on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

User avatar
ImperatorRex
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#17 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:45 am

On my BX60F3 the U-AN analyzer works fine for transmitted light and DIC.

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#18 Post by zero » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm

ImperatorRex wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:45 am
On my BX60F3 the U-AN analyzer works fine for transmitted light and DIC.
Well, one less expense... Thank you =)
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

User avatar
hkv
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#19 Post by hkv » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:03 pm

Yes, unfortunately, DIC is not cheap. For some reason the prices refuse to drop on ebay. Used Olympus (BX) equipment are almost more expensive nowadays than they were 3-4 years ago.

/Håkan

MJB
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Olympus BX60F

#20 Post by MJB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 pm

I have a copy of the Leitz 1512 parts and service manual if you are interested. Let me know where to send it if you are.

Mike

einman
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:03 am

Re: Olympus BX60F

#21 Post by einman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:30 am

I have the Leitz 1512 microtome as well. Built like a tank.

sinabro
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Re: Olympus BX60F

#22 Post by sinabro » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi zero

You can find what you want here ==> http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.com/e ... Manual.pdf

User avatar
zero
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Olympus BX60F

#23 Post by zero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:46 am

sinabro wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Hi zero

You can find what you want here ==> http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.com/e ... Manual.pdf
Thanks! This will be helpful when the time comes!
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

Post Reply