My stereo setup

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
KenK

My stereo setup

#1 Post by KenK » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:05 pm

My microscope is a fairly standard, Chinese, stereo-zoom, Image device. It is essentially an industrial inspection microscope on a boom stand. Although not typical for biologic applications the boom stand provides a lot of flexibility to view objects of different sizes.

The microscope came with a LED ring light, but I did not like how the LEDs reflected on shiny samples. It also did not work well when working close with the 2X barlow. I have switched to using a dual-head LED illuminator. Careful positioning of the lights and adjusting camera parameters is critical to getting decent images. I have a bottom light on the way.

For photography I have an inexpensive 5MP c-mount camera connected to an older Samsung tablet PC. Currently I am just using the tablet display which is a limitation. Next step, an external display.
Attachments
SelectX1024.jpg
SelectX1024.jpg (201.59 KiB) Viewed 5231 times

daruosha

Re: My stereo setup

#2 Post by daruosha » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Nice setup Ken.
For stereo microscopes and optimum lighting, I suggest one of the four-zones LED ring lights like this one:

https://www.amscope.com/144-led-lightin ... apter.html

It's very versatile and you can have different illumination angles to eliminate unwanted reflections and better observation possibilities.
Daruosh.

einman

Re: My stereo setup

#3 Post by einman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:58 am

Very nice clean set-up. I agree the 4 zone LED assist in removing the reflection that occurs on shiny specimens. I also use a halogen twin pipe fiberoptic illuminator and a halogen ring light as I prefer the color spectrum at times over the LED. I recently acquired an SX2-ILLT led illuminated base which offers brightfield, oblique and darkfield illumination. I had wanted one for quite some time and came across a great deal. I still enjoy using the IKEA LED lamps, very cheap and versatile.