I finally got an (epi) DIC scope! (Olympus bh2)

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Scarodactyl

I finally got an (epi) DIC scope! (Olympus bh2)

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:19 am

I've been trying to be good and not get any more scopes, but this one came up on eBay priced well below the usual and I couldn't resist.
It has a BHM base with the universal BH2-UMA illuminator. It has neo splan 10x, 20x and 50x objectives with the DIC prisms and a 100w lamp house. It was shipped poorly but somehow arrived intact anyway, though I still need to find one of the magnetic side ports.
The DIC effect is very cool, great for looking at crystal surfaces (as Microworldofgems had demonstrated--I was inspired by his work to be looking for one of these in the first place).
I have a lot to learn here! One odd thing is I get some minor doubling in the image when using DIC. It seems to be always present but a bit variable depending on positioj of the polarizer and prism, and is not present when the prism is out.
I assume the slider on the front is just for engaging the darkfield prism, but the way it's marked makes it look like it wtiches between finite and infinite--I assume that's judt a wrong reading?

Another cool thing--the objectives use an m26 thread, same as Mitutoyo m plan apos, which also have similar NAs. When I attached my mitty 10x in place of the olympus objective it also produced a great DIC effect, though of course at an inconveniently long working distance for the stage. It also pushes against the prism slider if it's fully screwed in so it would need a washer or something to keep it back a bit. Still, that was an unexpected bonus!

I like this baby a lot, and I'm hoping to learn it in and out.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

Re: I finally got an (epi) DIC scope! (Olympus bh2)

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:33 am

Congrats!

MichaelG.

Re: I finally got an (epi) DIC scope! (Olympus bh2)

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:34 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:19 am
I assume the slider on the front is just for engaging the darkfield prism, but the way it's marked makes it look like it wtiches between finite and infinite--I assume that's judt a wrong reading?
I think your assumption is correct, and that the marking is simply a ‘statement of fact’
this is infinity corrected, with a tube lens of 180mm focal length.
Fabulous looking instrument anyway !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'