Zeiss Photomicroscope I

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
ThomasMc

Zeiss Photomicroscope I

#1 Post by ThomasMc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm

My first serious microscope. Zeiss Photomicroscope I. I will probably be asking a lot of questions, as this thing is 100 times the microscope I expected to find on kijiji. It's in fantastic condition. I did replace to lower lamp housing with an LED light source, since I didn't want to struggle to find the old lightbulb. It also has all the transformers and such.

I am interested in learning all I can about this microscope.

It's really heavy, but not actually causing the table top to bend. :)

daruosha

Re: Zeiss Photomicroscope I

#2 Post by daruosha » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:34 pm

What a beast. Looks gorgeous too.
ThomasMc wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm
It's really heavy, but not actually causing the table top to bend.
I can see the bend on the table top surface :D
Daruosh.

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Nice microscope!

What objectives does it have and why is there a tube element connecting the binocular head to the tubehead?
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

ThomasMc

#4 Post by ThomasMc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Wes, I have no clue why it is set up the way it is. This is how I found it. I can check on the objectives and post them this evening.

I would appreciate ANY advice from anyone more knowledgable than myself. That would basically be everyone here with an opinion. :)

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi Thomas,
do yourself a favour and reinforce that table top. The constant stress through the weight works on the glue joints and they might give when you expect it least.

To the microscope: I have the same one, it should be a Phomi 1, second edition, made from 1961 to about 1970. If you post an image on the nosepiece bayonet we can veryfy this. The older Phomi 1 had a different nosepiece bayonett that wasn't compatible with the later Phomis and Universals.

The upper lamp is probably a mercury high pressure lamp that is dangerous - not recommended to use it.

The green hammerite tube between binocular tube and tube head doesn't belong there and should be removed.

This is a very good microscope with a good used market for parts. It is very productive and can quickly be equipped for differents tasks. The fine focus resistance can be adjusted by turning the fine focus knobs against each other.

Bob

ThomasMc

#6 Post by ThomasMc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Bob, I moved it right away. It is now on a MUCH stronger table.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to microscopes, so please excuse the ridiculous questions, like, what is a nosepiece bayonet? :)

I will look into removing that part. It is marked Zeiss, so I have no clue where it should go if not there.

I am curious about the fluorescent system, and how to get it replaced with something more modern. It looks neat, but if it's not useable I have no need for it.

ThomasMc

#7 Post by ThomasMc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:30 pm

A couple pictures. It is more than just a barrel, but I don't really know what it is for.

Microworldofgems

#8 Post by Microworldofgems » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Awesome scope... same paint job as my standard...until I painted it blue.

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:55 pm

That tube with the levers is from Zeiss and you can check whether it is at home in this position. If there were no optics inside it, it would increase the tube lenght by 40mm or so, this would affect the image quality. You can adjust the microscope so a specimen is sharp in view. Then you can remove the tube. If it is still sharp without much refocussing, the tube has lens elements that take care of the physical tube extension. In this case you could use without negative effect. It is a rare item, I don't know what it is for.

Bob

wstenberg

#10 Post by wstenberg » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:21 pm

Great microscope! I'm a big fan of the Photomicroscope.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

ThomasMc

#11 Post by ThomasMc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Bob,

If I get a chance today I will take it off and take a picture of the inside. I'll then try to put it together without the part. I am new to all of this, but in all my research I have not found a part like this one.

The man I purchased it from had been in microscopy for 60 years, and this was one he had acquired many years ago. He said he never used it, so I think even he didn't know everything about it. It's a fascinating microscope, and will keep me busy, probably, for the rest of my life. :)

Thomas

Charles

#12 Post by Charles » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Here is a view of the two types of Zeiss Photomicroscope I turrets. The one on the left is the common version which all the other Photomicroscopes used, which has a dovetail that slides on and then secures with a knob. The on right is the first version which was pushed up and secured with a knob. The first version is not very secure and if the securing knob is not fully engaged the whole turret with objectives can come crashing down.
Zeiss Regular and Early Nose Piece.jpg
Zeiss Regular and Early Nose Piece.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

Charles

#13 Post by Charles » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Also the first turret did not have a built in telan lens, so there was a separate slide with the lens.

Charles

#14 Post by Charles » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 pm

I have seen that intermediate piece between the binocular head and tube body. It has extra lenses for fluoro use to protect the user. Your scope is set up for fluorescence microscopy with barrier filters in the base and the epi attachement between the head and turret, and the large HBO mercury lamp.

ThomasMc

#15 Post by ThomasMc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Thanks for all the information, Charles. I have all the transformers and other boxes that I assume control the camera. I know how to hook it all up, but I have no clue how to work the fluorescent system. This is WAY more microscope than I need as a beginner, but it is also probably the last microscope I will ever need. I have really enjoyed the basics, so far. I will say, cobwebs from the basement are incredible!

The head is a slide on. I know this because I had to slide it in place to get it to work. :) It's almost like putting a kid behind the wheel of a race car. SO much to learn.

Charles

#16 Post by Charles » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Thomas,

I have the user manual for the Photomicroscope I in PDF. If you would like a copy, I can email it to you.

MicroBob

#17 Post by MicroBob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:18 pm

The nosepiece bayonett was changed in 1961. The older Phomi 1 model had the white camera release button in the base in front of the field aperture. It is much better to have the newer one as some accessories for the older one are difficult to find.
At first this microscope is a bit intimidation, but after getting used to it it is quick to work and change between setups.
When you google for Zeiss Universal and Zeiss Photomicroscope and Photomikroskop you will find a lot of manuals and catalogs. If you start with fluorescence one day I gan give you a couple of specific hints where to start.

Bob

MicroBob

#18 Post by MicroBob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:19 pm

@Charles: Nice to see new posts coming from you, it has been a while!

ThomasMc

#19 Post by ThomasMc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Thank you to Charles and MicroBob. The more I can learn, the better. I would love to learn how to use the fluorescent system in the near future. I keep looking at it and wondering what exactly it is capable of doing. :)

75RR

#20 Post by 75RR » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Wes wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:38 pm
Nice microscope!

What objectives does it have and why is there a tube element connecting the binocular head to the tubehead?
MicroBob wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 pm
The green hammerite tube between binocular tube and tube head doesn't belong there and should be removed.
Original photo has disappeared, but for those who remember it and the odd tube - this looks similar.

Intermediate polarization tube (between lamp house and tripod on Phomi)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mikroskope-Zeis ... Sw249es-ZZ

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)