My two microscopes

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
kville79

My two microscopes

#1 Post by kville79 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi,

I'd thought I'd share my scopes. I'm new to the game, so my scopes aren't the best, and I have parts on order to improve them. but here they are

The first is my Selopt petrographic microscope. It's a very basic Korean made student petrographic scope I picked up for about $200 shipped on ebay. It comes with the typical Analyzer, betrand lens, 1/4 wavelength plate, and three objectives: 4x, 10x, and 40x, two eye pieces: 10x and 20x, and a cover and a case. Currently have a LED light source on order to replace the substage mirror.
Pol2.jpg
Pol2.jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
Pol1.jpg
Pol1.jpg (124.85 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
The second is my Nikon S. Got this for $60 at an estate sale. Classic black enamel paint, binocular head with 10x eyepieces, a 3 objective nose piece with a 10x, 40x, and 100 HI objective. Currently looking at all my options for an illumination source, I have the lamp housing, but no lamp. Haven't given up on finding the original external lamp for this scope... but if that fails I'll get an LED replacement.
Nikon 2.jpg
Nikon 2.jpg (120.05 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
Nikon 1.jpg
Nikon 1.jpg (145.73 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
I'm also trying to piece together a Zeiss Standard WL scope, hopefully that will be sooner than later

microbob3

Re: My two microscopes

#2 Post by microbob3 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:03 pm

Nice scopes their. All you need now is a Stereo Microscope. Have fun.

sandnamek

#3 Post by sandnamek » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 am

That Nikon is sexy looking. Good find!

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi kville79-I’ve got mainly lower end Olympus scopes but I do have that Nikon S type with seperate fine focus knob like yours (except mine has a early Kohler type body with a back tube I just stick a torch in) and have found its speed in changing fine focus for chasing microbes moving above and below the focal point to be easily the best of all my scopes especially if it still moves buttery smooth like mine does. So I’m keeping it just for that reason alone-microscopic chase scenes! Way cool to have a petroscope that’s that portable and cute.Does the petro stage rotate smoothly? Been wanting to film microbes with rotating stage to get different looking footage rather than just X-Y movement. You really picked good starter scopes at a sensible budget-Well done-I’ve wacked finite 160 objectives from all companies on the Nikon and works fine especially if you get matching eyepieces.I’d recommend getting a more modern screw on Nikon S X-Y stage if you want to chase microbes in the horizontal space more quickly-often pretty cheap on eBay. The Nikon S oblique condenser is a good upgrade-helps define things more if you can’t afford a phase turret/objectives.
Good luck
Regards ross
Attachments
324C87EE-E1AC-4D95-B4C8-1529B19943FD.jpeg
324C87EE-E1AC-4D95-B4C8-1529B19943FD.jpeg (213.15 KiB) Viewed 4187 times

kville79

#5 Post by kville79 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 am

Rossf wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 pm
Hi kville79-I’ve got mainly lower end Olympus scopes but I do have that Nikon S type with seperate fine focus knob like yours (except mine has a early Kohler type body with a back tube I just stick a torch in) and have found its speed in changing fine focus for chasing microbes moving above and below the focal point to be easily the best of all my scopes especially if it still moves buttery smooth like mine does. So I’m keeping it just for that reason alone-microscopic chase scenes! Way cool to have a petroscope that’s that portable and cute.Does the petro stage rotate smoothly? Been wanting to film microbes with rotating stage to get different looking footage rather than just X-Y movement. You really picked good starter scopes at a sensible budget-Well done-I’ve wacked finite 160 objectives from all companies on the Nikon and works fine especially if you get matching eyepieces.I’d recommend getting a more modern screw on Nikon S X-Y stage if you want to chase microbes in the horizontal space more quickly-often pretty cheap on eBay. The Nikon S oblique condenser is a good upgrade-helps define things more if you can’t afford a phase turret/objectives.
Good luck
Regards ross
The Nikon S is very buttery smooth with it's fine focus! The Selopt stage rotates well enough, it's not smooth like some leica scopes I've used in the past. There are stages that have both XY movements and rotate for Zeiss Standard scopes, but those can be pricey... as are all the future scope equipment I'm looking at in the future!

I have a few older zeiss phase contrast objectives and would just need the condenser, but I'll also definitely look into the Oblique condenser though.

Rossf

#6 Post by Rossf » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 am

kville79 -just so you know before you find your dream zeiss setup I’ve got a set of Zeiss neofluors all ph2 (16x,25x,40x) and the Nikon S phase condenser 40X annulus is a pretty good fit for all these mags just in case you find one cheap as a stop gap-boy that zeiss rotating x/y stage does sound pretty good!
Regards