Is it safe to buy an old microscope used in a biohazard lab?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
penn_central

Is it safe to buy an old microscope used in a biohazard lab?

#1 Post by penn_central » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:36 am

There's a beautiful old microscope being sold near me ( http://chambersburg.craigslist.org/atq/4831129354.html ) but markings suggest it was once used at the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, a biological warfare research facility.

I'm worried about residual pathogens or other biohazards - is it safe to buy this microscope?

Thank you

75RR

Re: Is it safe to buy an old microscope used in a biohazard

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:18 am

I'm worried about residual pathogens or other biohazards - is it safe to buy this microscope?
Don't know, though I doubt it is a problem, but at $40 OBO worth an attempt at a rebuild I think.
Last edited by 75RR on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

penn_central

#3 Post by penn_central » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:28 am

The price is definitely right - I just don't want to get small pox or something.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:40 am

By the look of it, it has not been used for many years.
I imagine if there had been a risk that it were unsafe it would have been decommissioned.

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:10 am

For what it is worth, and to offer a contrasting opinion: I don't know about the possible risk (myself I would not take an unnecessary risk). But toxins and pathogens apart, to my eyes the microscope appears to be in very poor shape with much rust, and the seller apparently does not stand behind it ("I know nothing...") which may mean that it is not in working order. Since it has not been in use for a long time, and may have been stored in humid conditions (and the rust suggests this may be true), the optical elements may be infected with fungus. Unless you are experienced with microscopes/optical instruments and inclined to work on it and possibly spend money on parts for it on ebay, I would leave it alone.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:27 am

Price is low, especially the OBO part, but gekko is right to point out that if this is your first microscope a "rebuild" is a step or two too far. Microscope will most likely need sourced parts and a service. Not for the first timer.
Note that every objective that has fungus will need to be replaced.
Graigslist is local so visit the shop, take someone with you who knows about microscopes if you do not and look at it dispassionately.
It may turn out not to be a bargain.