Does anyone use a 4x objective?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
MichaelG.

Re: Does anyone use a 4x objective?

#31 Post by MichaelG. » Tue May 22, 2018 7:32 am

billbillt wrote:Hi Michael,
Some of what you seek is here:

https://arachnoid.com/OpticalRayTracer/
Thanks for that link, Bill ... certainly worth a look.
I am currently using [dabbling with] RayLab by Kamyar Ghandi, on the iPad Pro
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/raylab/id710190065?mt=8

:oops: I risk hi-jacking coominya's thread, so I will leave it at that.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

coominya

#32 Post by coominya » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm

billbillt wrote:I would also be interested in seeing some of your work with your inverted stand...

The Best, BillT
I got the 4x, it's very useful, and have begun using the IMT as my main scope now I have a full set of objectives. It is quite a step up from the old ECE and the phase contrast is remarkable in showing detail, once I align the rings properly. I got quite used to brightfield and at first the PH views looked like just a mass of glowing rings. Then I began to decipher the information and can certainly see a lot more detail in my subjects. I find it's not useful for a cluttered field of view though, I need to have one subject up close filling as much of the EP as possible to make any sense from it. The microscope came with a mechanical stage that sits atop the standard stage but I have not installed this yet. I think I will do that next as pushing my dishes around by hand is not a satisfactory technique at higher magnifications.

The camera is still a way off I think.

billbillt

#33 Post by billbillt » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks for the update!... I am interested in all you do with it... I have been thinking about getting one myself..

Thanks,
BillT

Hobbyst46

#34 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 am

coominya wrote:...The microscope came with a mechanical stage that sits atop the standard stage but I have not installed this yet. I think I will do that next as pushing my dishes around by hand is not a satisfactory technique at higher magnifications...
For higher magnifications on inverted microscopes, there exist commercial single and multi-well dishes (6-well etc) with thin cover-slip bottoms. Used in for cell culture research (e.g. confocal microscopy), fairly expensive and designated "dispensable". But it is possible to clean and re-use them, even from live cell remnants and debris. DIY such devices are possible, if one manages to glue the coverslip in an exactly flat position.

billbillt

#35 Post by billbillt » Thu May 31, 2018 7:40 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
coominya wrote:...The microscope came with a mechanical stage that sits atop the standard stage but I have not installed this yet. I think I will do that next as pushing my dishes around by hand is not a satisfactory technique at higher magnifications...
For higher magnifications on inverted microscopes, there exist commercial single and multi-well dishes (6-well etc) with thin cover-slip bottoms. Used in for cell culture research (e.g. confocal microscopy), fairly expensive and designated "dispensable". But it is possible to clean and re-use them, even from live cell remnants and debris. DIY such devices are possible, if one manages to glue the coverslip in an exactly flat position.
Thanks for the info...
BillT

Hobbyst46

#36 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
coominya wrote:there exist commercial single and multi-well dishes (6-well etc) with thin cover-slip bottoms. Used in for cell culture research (e.g. confocal microscopy), fairly expensive and designated "dispensable".
Sorry for wrong word! I meant "disposable".

Kenskid

#37 Post by Kenskid » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:00 pm

Hello. I too am not getting full field of view with this condenser and 4x. When I remove the condenser, it is all good.

The 4x objective is not PLAN. I was wondering if that could be the issue or is it just not comparable with 4x.

Condenser is. Nikon. Universal. ACHR-APL. Con.A 1.4

Thanks for your help.

Javier

#38 Post by Javier » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:07 pm

Kenskid wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:00 pm
Hello. I too am not getting full field of view with this condenser and 4x. When I remove the condenser, it is all good.

The 4x objective is not PLAN. I was wondering if that could be the issue or is it just not comparable with 4x.

Condenser is. Nikon. Universal. ACHR-APL. Con.A 1.4

Thanks for your help.
Lowering a bit the condenser should help to get rid of the vignetting. Hope this helps.