Where to buy chemicals? *Philippines

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Kevin_r

Where to buy chemicals? *Philippines

#1 Post by Kevin_r » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi!
I am new to this field and I’m planning to buy stains and mounting medium (Euparal or alternatives).
I don’t know where to look for these chemicals.
I looked online but it’s either not available or the shipping is too costly.

I hope to hear from y’all!

Also, I’m from Philippines. (Any fellow Filipino here? 😊)

Element 56

Re: Where to buy chemicals? *Philippines

#2 Post by Element 56 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:34 pm

I don't know anything about staying however, think I read a thread here recently where someone mentioned reading up on 19th century mounting and staining. Back then they used some natural ingredients that may be easier for you to obtain. To me that seemed like a logical place to start for someone just getting into it.

I know from personal experience that the coloring additives used in 19th century lacquer recipes are very effective so I can imagine there would be some effective natural stain recipes worth exploring.

There's a great free online resource for that I've used a lot for lacquer recipes called chest of books. You would have to dig around a bit to see if anything applies to staining microscope specimens but I did find this very interesting book that might be helpful.

https://chestofbooks.com/science/chemis ... index.html

Good luck!
Kirby

deBult

Re: Where to buy chemicals? *Philippines

#3 Post by deBult » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:51 am

May I suggest to look into this book: using household chemicals replacing the traditional stuff

SAFE MICROSCOPIC TECHNIQUES FOR AMATEURS
by Mr Walter Dioni (Author)