Choosing Camera

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Latvia
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:16 am

Choosing Camera

#1 Post by Latvia » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:20 am

Hi I have just purchased a Swift SW 380T Trinocular scope and woud like to buy a camera for it has anyone got this scope or could someone recommend a good camera for this scope thankyou Stephen.

User avatar
mrsonchus
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: Choosing Camera

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Well, for simplicity and quality at reasonable levels I'd say a 'Toupcam' USB-2 to start you off.
This would really only do well for stills though as they are quite slow when shooting video...

For stills and/or video I'd go for a used Canon, perhaps an 1100D or 1200D depending on price, with a std DSLR adapter with optics built-in for the trinocular port.

The main thing at this stage is to learn how to use a microscope, and your choice looks pretty ideal for this. Keep the camera acquisition as simple as you can too, and perhaps spend a week or two mastering the 'scope as it comes out-of-the-box. If too many additions are made before mastery of basic use is achieved, you'll very likely be discouraged with this superbly-rewarding and enjoyable hobby...

Many are sure to advise you here with this common scenario, lots of very experienced and kind folk are members of this forum.
John B

garstro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm

Re: Choosing Camera

#3 Post by garstro » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Also have Swift 380t. I opted for a industrial camera with hdmi, USB2, with TF card. You will need a .5x adapter to parfocal with eyepieces. Also a card reader for TF card to see photo & video on computer. You can also hook up USB directly to computer. I went with this as a low cost alternative to dslr cameras with all the attachment problems. Looking at big screen with hdmi makes things so much easier. Save photos & video to TF card to save to computer for editing. I use a 21mp camera. There are different manufactures & models on ebay or amazon. Hope this helps.

User avatar
mrsonchus
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: Choosing Camera

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:56 pm

garstro wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 pm
Also have Swift 380t. I opted for a industrial camera with hdmi, USB2, with TF card. You will need a .5x adapter to parfocal with eyepieces. Also a card reader for TF card to see photo & video on computer. You can also hook up USB directly to computer. I went with this as a low cost alternative to dslr cameras with all the attachment problems. Looking at big screen with hdmi makes things so much easier. Save photos & video to TF card to save to computer for editing. I use a 21mp camera. There are different manufactures & models on ebay or amazon. Hope this helps.
Hello garstro, coincidentally I'm looking at these 'industrial' HDMI/USB2 cameras as an earlier (or at least lower-end as it has only VGA output not HDMI and no card-slot for recording) version came with a stereozoom I recently purchased for it's simul-focal capability, with a view to recording video of dissections as I carry them out with the 'scope.
I'm hoping to choose one that has HDMI output, USB2 and card-recording capabilities. I also want the version that is able to be controlled via it's built-in software with a USB mouse as an option that avoids the need for a computer-link when desired.

Would it be posssible to post some images of and shot-with your camera, and some video too if you have time? I'm finding it almost impossible to choose one as there are literally dozens of them from China! Their frame-rate is excellent as you'll know. I also picked-up a 19 inch VGA-input monitor to 'test the principle' of using one, for only £8 from a local charity-shop!
John B

garstro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm

Re: Choosing Camera

#5 Post by garstro » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:36 pm

OK uploaded to youtube Will post links for video????? I hope. New to this. https://youtu.be/WlLvW7SksAU https://youtu.be/Ibs3VJHXFj4 https://youtu.be/1ksBBmM1Zwk Seems to work Yaaaaaaa. Camera I have is Koppace 21mp. Hayear & probably others also makes similar camera. Software for USB is pretty much view video, will save to software, no editing or anything else I found.

User avatar
mrsonchus
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK

Re: Choosing Camera

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks garstro - that video (both in fact) looks crystal-clear to me. Did you have the reduction lens in and what resolution/format are these recorded in originally, before YT's adjustments?

Does this record to the TF vcard or does it record to a laptop via USB?
Thanks for posting.
John B

garstro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm

Re: Choosing Camera

#7 Post by garstro » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 pm
Thanks garstro - that video (both in fact) looks crystal-clear to me. Did you have the reduction lens in and what resolution/format are these recorded in originally, before YT's adjustments?

Does this record to the TF vcard or does it record to a laptop via USB?
Thanks for posting.
I think you have to use one or the other(hdmi or usb) not both at same time. With hdmi it can record to tf card & I believe you get better quality than usb. usb will plug into computer & save to software that came with camera. Use the .5x reduction adapter to parfocal the eyepieces with the monitor by adjusting the threaded adapter that came with the scope. These were recorded on tf card & loaded into computer. The videos are as they were recorded. The video files are huge unless you edit them, even photos can't be sent by email. Think I used 4x & 10x objectives Not sure. This unit came with remote that will adjust various settings & take photos & video without touching camera.

Latvia
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:16 am

Re: Choosing Camera

#8 Post by Latvia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi thanks for helping me decide what camera to buy.I bought one on E_.A_. I do not know if you are allowed to name places you bought from.I paid £100 for it here are some photos of what I bought.Where can I get the software download for this camera as it comes on a mini disc,And I can not access it also does any imaging capture software work with this camera or must it be dedicated software for this camera can someone have a quess what is the make and model of this camera as ones like this all look like some sort of clone from another make,also does this seem a good price for what I have bought cheers Stephen.Here are the photos.
Attachments
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg (72.77 KiB) Viewed 160 times
s-l1600[3].jpg
s-l1600[3].jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 160 times
s-l1600[2].jpg
s-l1600[2].jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 160 times
1111190060112-2[1].jpg
1111190060112-2[1].jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 160 times

grahamma
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Re: Choosing Camera

#9 Post by grahamma » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Latvia wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Hi thanks for helping me decide what camera to buy.I bought one on E_.A_. I do not know if you are allowed to name places you bought from.I paid £100 for it here are some photos of what I bought.Where can I get the software download for this camera as it comes on a mini disc,And I can not access it also does any imaging capture software work with this camera or must it be dedicated software for this camera can someone have a quess what is the make and model of this camera as ones like this all look like some sort of clone from another make,also does this seem a good price for what I have bought cheers Stephen.Here are the photos.
Based on the pictures that you posted, I think I've found the same camera and I believe that the brand is, "Hayear" (HAYEAR 41MP Microscope Camera). I was able to find a page containing software for this camera by googling: hayear camera software

I also recall reading posts from people who use VLC to view video from various USB cams, but setup is more manual / involved.

There are some reviews of this camera on Youtube and it looks great, I think I might grab one of these myself.

Post Reply