What's the best way to examine sediment-dwelling protozoa?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Jerradin

What's the best way to examine sediment-dwelling protozoa?

#1 Post by Jerradin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:54 am

I'd like to find some sediment-dwellers, but putting even a tiny grain of sediment on the slide lifts up the cover slip quite a bit and unbalances it.
I know the trick of putting two cover slips underneath the third in order to lift it up, but then I run into the problem that there's quite a lot of vertical movement open to the organisms, and I can't keep them in focus for long enough to take a picture.
Also, I feel like I'm going to crash my high-power objective with the slip lifted up like this.
How do people usually observe these organisms? Thanks!

Charles

Re: What's the best way to examine sediment-dwelling protozoa?

#2 Post by Charles » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:42 pm

What I do for hunting diatoms from sediment, I think you could do the same. Collect a bunch of sediment in a test tube or jar, add water to the sediment and shake into a mixture. Let it settle for a few seconds for the sand and gravel to settle and pour off the water with the sediment dwelling protozoa into another container.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi Jerradin,
meiofauna animals tend to cling to the sand grains. One way to get then off is to paralyse them with a 7,5% MgCl2 solution. If your sample is more silt than sand you can put a layer of sand on the sample, store cool for 1-3 days, remove only sand, extract animals with MgCl2. Generally you can move the animals by affecting the climate in the sample.

Bob

Sabatini

#4 Post by Sabatini » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Thank for the instructions.