Microscope for ancient coin restoration: advice needed

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Roerbakmix

Microscope for ancient coin restoration: advice needed

#1 Post by Roerbakmix » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:41 am

Dear all,

Today I joined this forum. I'm an avid ancient coin collector and have been restoring ancient coins for a while now (some examples below). As a kid, I owned a microscope, and the interest in microscopes is still there (though I don't own a microscope anymore ...). I've studied medicine and am working on a PhD in clinical epidemiology.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (356.39 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
I am looking for some advice regarding the purchase of a stereo microscope, ideally:
- space between the lens and the object, to allow (mechanical) restoration of the coin (e.g. 10-15 cm would be perfect)
- magnification of c. 5-100x
- preferably trinocular to allow connection to a camera and video recording (also, my kids are becoming very curious, and magnifying e.g. an insect and showing it on a screen would be fun).
- decent lighting, preferably axial

The budget is around the 300 € (I live in the Netherlands). I have been looking for used products, and find e.g. Euromex and Olympus for comparable prices, however, usually these are rather old. When looking for new products, I've been exploring Aliexpres, where all these options listed below can be found for a very reasonable price. Now the question is: what would you choose: an old Euromex or Olympus, or a new camera (with all options listed above) for the same price?

Regards,
Roerbakmix

75RR

Re: Microscope for ancient coin restoration: advice needed

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:59 pm

Welcome Roerbakmix

what are you using at the moment?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Roerbakmix

#3 Post by Roerbakmix » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi 75RR, thanks for the reaction! I'm not using any microscope at the moment, but use a Nikon d3200 with macro lens. So I'm the true definition of a beginner, hence the beginners corner.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 pm

A good used stereo (actually trinocular) microscope should be great for both your work and those curious kids.

This will be your best value, but you'll want to either buy locally or from a source that allows a return. Many old stereo microscopes are out of alignment, have become dusty and dim with use in a tough environment (e.g. soldering), or if a zoom are not parfocal throughout the zoom range.

This site might get you started: https://engraverscafe.com/threads/stere ... void.3451/

I'm not quite as anti-import scopes as the author (that was written some time ago), but have had better luck with the cheaper Chinese fixed / rotatable lens types (say 10x and 30x) at around $150 than the $500 zooms - the latter are far more complicated and more prone to QC and reliability defects in my experience. I'm right now faced with a new-looking zoom with a broken plastic bevel gear. The problem with the $150 ones for you is that they don't have a very wide field or much working distance. They could be good for the kids, though, especially if they might handle a more expensive trinocular scope roughly in the learning phases.

I've had good luck with Meiji. The older Nikon and Olympus scopes tend to be pretty good if the movements are free and the optics aligned. The classic Bausch & Lomb stereo zooms can be good, but maybe not so available in your area? Perhaps the same for the often-very-good American Optical Cycloptic and zoom scopes. I've had one Zeiss (a type also used for surgery) that was very large but pretty good except for the $$$ delaminated eyepieces. There are many other possibilities - perhaps post here. Surplus medical equipment (surplus surgical scopes, colposcopes, etc.) might also be good and affordable for you. These may have an articulated arm that can hover over your workbench, excellent optics, astounding working distance, and built-in fiber optic illumination.

jfiresto

#5 Post by jfiresto » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:45 pm

PeteM wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 pm
This site might get you started: https://engraverscafe.com/threads/stere ... void.3451/

I'm not quite as anti-import scopes as the author (that was written some time ago)....
When I asked Absolute Clarity about three years ago, they said the serviceability issues they had had with Chinese scopes and their recommendations to buy something else had not changed.
-John

Element 56

#6 Post by Element 56 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:08 am

I use a Zeiss OPMI for my engraving setup. They are very affordable, versatile, easy to find parts for, easy to work on, low maintenance and optically excellent. If you have access to medical surplus it's a good way to find them. eBay is loaded with them and prices are dropping all the time. Beamsplitters are still a bit pricey however they are getting cheaper too.

As mentioned lots of other options if you can put a little time in used equipment. As for new, Zeiss offers the Stemi 330 for around $1000 USD last time I checked. I have one and really like it. I think the main body without a stand was more like $600. Of course you can equip it with all the bells and whistles.

Best of luck!
Kirby

Roerbakmix

#7 Post by Roerbakmix » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:21 am

Thank you all for the excellent information. I've read the link provided by @PeteM, but have not yet found any of these microscopes on the places I look for - perhaps I should expand my search beyond the (Dutch) ebay-like website. I did notice however that the webpage by PeteM was posted a while ago (and not updated?), and the quality of Chinese (cheap) microscopes may have improved meanwhile?

E.g. this (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40001265 ... hweb201603_) microscope includes a camera, and a (probably not superb) stand for only c. 300€, which would be interesting price-wise. Does anyone here have experience with these types of microscopes?

Meanwhile, I'll look around for the brands mentioned in the webpage.
Regards,
Roerbakmix

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:54 pm

Roerbakmix wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:21 am
I've read the link provided by @PeteM, but have not yet found any of these microscopes on the places I look for - perhaps I should expand my search beyond the (Dutch) ebay-like website.
You should definitely go wider, EU at least. Economical shipping and no import taxes! The UK and German Ebays are larger and would have a better selection.

As for going solely on price, well yes if everything else is equal, but then it rarely is.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Element 56

#9 Post by Element 56 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:39 pm

Roerbakmix wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:21 am
Thank you all for the excellent information. I've read the link provided by @PeteM, but have not yet found any of these microscopes on the places I look for - perhaps I should expand my search beyond the (Dutch) ebay-like website. I did notice however that the webpage by PeteM was posted a while ago (and not updated?), and the quality of Chinese (cheap) microscopes may have improved meanwhile?

E.g. this (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40001265 ... hweb201603_) microscope includes a camera, and a (probably not superb) stand for only c. 300€, which would be interesting price-wise. Does anyone here have experience with these types of microscopes?

Meanwhile, I'll look around for the brands mentioned in the webpage.
Regards,
Roerbakmix
I don't know about that one. My gut tells me buyer beware but I could be wrong. I remember a while ago Steve Lindsey was endorsing a stereo microscope from AM Scope for engraving and I think it was around $1100. I have a bad memory so it's possible I imagined this. :mrgreen: His site has some information about microscopes for engraving but he uses an OPMI too.
https://www.airgraver.com/microscopes.htm

I used a AO Cyclops for engraving for years and it was fine. I always liked the scopes with fixed lens systems like the cyclops, OPMI and Stemi. Not much can go wrong with them.

Kirby

Jerradin

#10 Post by Jerradin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:33 am

I don't have much in the way of useful advice, but I want to say I love this subject. I have one passion for hobbyist microscopy, and another for ancient numismatics. I never thought to combine them! Best of luck!

Edit: After reading the thread more carefully, I may have some useful input after all. "Chinese: (Cheap) microscopes" isn't really accurate. While it's true that cheap optics are often from China, it is also indisputable that some of the best optics also come from China. The "Chinese=cheap" generalization may be valid for remote controls, but it isn't for optics. You need to do more investigation into whatever you're considering purchasing than that.