How do I attach a bridge camera

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Katie2020

How do I attach a bridge camera

#1 Post by Katie2020 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:47 pm

So sorry for the super generic question, I promise i have googled and read many different articles/watched videos but I still don't really understand and feeling a bit overloaded with information (I'm on really heavy medication which means I currently have the cognitive power of a teacake.)

I'd like to get better photos from my Leitz SM-LUX Monocular Microscope. So far I have been using a mobile phone. I have a couple of cameras at home I can borrow from family members, both are bridge type maybe DSLR cameras. I have a Fujifilm Finepix Hs20 exr and a Nikon D3100. I have a tripod i can use for both to hold it up as I'm aware weight can be an issue. But what do I need between the camera and the eyepiece?
I'm looking for the cheapest option.

Would any of these work? Do I need a T2 ring as well? :

http://www.brunelmicroscopessecure.co.u ... ories.html (the SLR adapter)

http://www.brunelmicroscopessecure.co.u ... phy-1.html (the top one here)(no idea what 35mm means)

http://www.brunelmicroscopessecure.co.u ... gital.html (the Unilink and one of the adapters)

Any help would be appreciated :?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: How do I attach a bridge camera

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:58 pm

35mm is a common size of photographic film. Adapters will often have lenses to change the size of the image coming from the tube to better match either the sensor or the photographic film. Otherwise, you get either black space around your zoomed-out image called vignetting or too much cropping/ only a small part of the image. For the ideal setup you will need to know exactly what the sensor size of the camera you're going to use is.

Whether or not you want the eyepiece in there(and the camera lens too then) depends on how critical the eyepiece corrections are. On one of my microscope I have a .5 reduction lens to fit the real image on to a 1/2.3 image sensor, no eyepiece or camera lens. The other scope I have correcting eyepieces I need to include so for that one I have an adapter to keep the camera focused on the eyepiece. That camera is outfitted with a telefoto lens to reduce vignetting on the 1/2.5 sensor in that camera.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Katie2020

#3 Post by Katie2020 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:35 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:58 pm
35mm is a common size of photographic film. Adapters will often have lenses to change the size of the image coming from the tube to better match either the sensor or the photographic film. Otherwise, you get either black space around your zoomed-out image called vignetting or too much cropping/ only a small part of the image. For the ideal setup you will need to know exactly what the sensor size of the camera you're going to use is.

Whether or not you want the eyepiece in there(and the camera lens too then) depends on how critical the eyepiece corrections are. On one of my microscope I have a .5 reduction lens to fit the real image on to a 1/2.3 image sensor, no eyepiece or camera lens. The other scope I have correcting eyepieces I need to include so for that one I have an adapter to keep the camera focused on the eyepiece. That camera is outfitted with a telefoto lens to reduce vignetting on the 1/2.5 sensor in that camera.
Thanks for the reply

So my eyepiece is a 10x periplan nf 23.2mm.
The sensor in a nikon d3100 is a 23.1 x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor, the fujifilm has a 1/2" sensor. I kinda understand the concept of a sensor and what you explained, i just don't know how to translate that into buying an adapter.

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Someone may come along with the perfect solution but I will continue to be loud and unhelpful by saying that I make my adapters out of wood. If you end up using direct imaging (losing the eyepiece and camera lens) I would expect you would need less reduction than the .5 lens I have as you sensors are larger. In fact, the Nikon may need none at all. You should try the Brunel and you may need an additional adapter that fits the adapter to the camera as I don't think cameras have just raw threads to fix lenses to anymore.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm

I'd like to get better photos from my Leitz SM-LUX Monocular Microscope
Can you post a side photo of your microscope to remind us what you have.

An inclined monocular is not ideal to hang a camera on, as gravity will not be on your side.

Can you get hold of a trinocular head for it?

Update: Had a look and could not find a reference to a trinocular head so your next best bet would be a vertical monocular tube that would let you place your camera on it.

Viewing would then be via a monitor/laptop

How you attach your camera depends on what method you will be using.

You can try to place your sensor on the intermediate image (no camera lens), project the intermediate image on to your sensor (no camera lens) or use an afocal setup (camera with lens). See first link

http://www.krebsmicro.com/pdf/trinoc_a3.pdf

http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... atalog.pdf
Attachments
Leitz-SM-LUX-tube.jpg
Leitz-SM-LUX-tube.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Element 56

#6 Post by Element 56 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm just going to add that the Nikon D3100 is not an ideal camera to use with the microscope. The sole reason I say this is related to tethering with the computer. I've tried but to the best of knowledge you can't live view on your computer monitor with that camera. What you can do is use a program like Digicam (I think the other one I found that worked is Mycam) to remote shoot and you can then view the photo taken to make your adjustments according to the results of the final image (not ideal). You can of course rely on the camera screen but for me it was very difficult to see fine adjustments. I have the D3100 and spent a lot of time trying to use it but I finally gave up and bought a Canon T7. Unfortunately I didn't buy the T7i but that's another story. The T7 with a 40mm pancake lens is a nice package for the microscope that really isn't that expensive. Maybe $300-400 if you shop eBay. It would be more for the "i" camera but probably worth the extra money to be able to use mirror lockup.

I wish you the best with your endeavor.

Kirby

BTW,

Katie2020

#7 Post by Katie2020 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:44 pm

75RR wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm
I'd like to get better photos from my Leitz SM-LUX Monocular Microscope
Can you post a side photo of your microscope to remind us what you have.

An inclined monocular is not ideal to hang a camera on, as gravity will not be on your side.

Can you get hold of a trinocular head for it?

Update: Had a look and could not find a reference to a trinocular head so your next best bet would be a vertical monocular tube that would let you place your camera on it.

Viewing would then be via a monitor/laptop

How you attach your camera depends on what method you will be using.

You can try to place your sensor on the intermediate image (no camera lens), project the intermediate image on to your sensor (no camera lens) or use an afocal setup (camera with lens). See first link

http://www.krebsmicro.com/pdf/trinoc_a3.pdf

http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... atalog.pdf

Hey, thanks for helping, that pdf was really useful. I have a tripod that i can use to support the cameras weight, or failing that i dont mind slotting it in and holding it for quick photos.
I was thinking of something that projects the image into the sensor, as I couldn't use the camera afocally because the camera lens was too wide if that makes sense. I just don't know what accessories are necessary to do this.

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:14 pm

Katie,

I have just posted this link in another topic ... but I think you will find it very useful, so here it is:
https://www.quekett.org/wp-content/uplo ... camera.pdf

It’s a few years old, but highly relevant to your plans

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'