Which to choose?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
ChrisColorado

Which to choose?

#1 Post by ChrisColorado » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:37 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to purchase my first microscope, mostly for my son to use in college, and for my wife and I to use for fun.
We would like it to be easy to use for photography or video, and easy to use when wearing glasses.
Here are some choices and I'd like some feedback before I pull the trigger--buy once, cry once :-)
I plan on keeping this tool for 20+ years.
NEW MICROSCOPE AMSOPE 40X-1000X Infinity-corrected Darkfield Microscope with LED Koehler Illumination and Quintuple Nosepiece T670Q-PL-DK2
Infinity-corrected optical system with Koehler illumination
Includes dry and oil darkfield condensers
Suited for blood-analysis
Five Plan objectives: 4X, 10X, 20X, 40X, 100X
Trinocular port for adding photo/video capability
---OR USED---
LEITZ 170 SM-LUX MICROSCOPE WITH 40X PHASE CONTRAST, BF AND DARKFIELD -
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
30 degree binocular tube w/two 10x Periplanatic oculars
XY mechanical stage and condenser with swing-out top lens (As 0.90na)
Push-in phase/darkfield stop provides phase contrast for Leitz PHACO 40x/0.65 achromat
PLAN FLUORITE 4x scanner
PLAN FLOURITE 10x achromat
PLAN oil 100x achromat
Use push-in phase stop for darkfield with 4x and 10x objectives
--OR USED---
Nikon Eclipse E200-F Microscope
Large Mechanical Stage with X/Y translation with position markers
2 - CFI 10x/20 Eyepieces, 20mm FoV
Built-in halogen (6V 30W) illumination - adjustable intensity knob
Field diaphragm
Abbe 1.25 Condenser
4 Infinity Lenses
E Plan 4x / 0.10 Infinity / - WD 30
E Plan 10x / 0.25 Infinity / - WD 7.0
E Plan 40x / 0.65 Infinity / 0.17 WD 0.65
E Plan 4x / 1.25 Infinity / 0.17 WD 0.23
---OR USED---
CARL ZEISS KPL-W10X/18 EYE PIECES 46-40-43-9902
TRINOCULAR HEAD
OBJECTIVES
46-04-32 PLAN 10/0.25
48423330 PLAN 16/0.35
4-07-32 PLAN 40/0.65
PLAN 100/1.25 OEL
PLAN 6,3/0.16 160- 4871675

Assume all are priced around $1000 plus or minus 200

Looking for quality, ease of use, ability to photography, and future reliability and parts/maintenance.

Thank you.
Chris

PeteM

Re: Which to choose?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:56 am

Some quick thoughts, Chris:

1) It would help to know more about what you want to see, how important photos wil be, and so on.

2) AmScope isn't a bad value for a new microscope, but not sure I'd consider it a 20 year microscope. Not many upgrade options, etc.

3) For that money I'd expect a newer Leitz (160 tube length Leitz Laborlux D, S, 12 etc.) and a full complement of objectives. Or maybe something like a newer Leica DMLS. The SM-Lux is beautifully built but dated. As an example, the limited range of the fine focus isn't ideal for focus stacking.

4) Nikon Eclipse E200 is toward the bottom end of their Eclipse line. Build quality goes up with the E400 and E600. Still, it will host those marvelous 20x Nikon Plan Apos still available cheap. So will a better quality Leica DMLS, above. The E600 is one of my favorite scopes and DIC upgradeable, but above your target.

5) The Zeiss has a smaller field of view than the others, some concerns about delamination if you can't inspect it carefully prior to purchase, and even if pristine would be priced a bit high (IMO) in the $800-1000 range. That money should get you something similar (Zeiss Standard trinocular) but with some extra goodlies like, say, phase contrast, Neofluars, or a mag changer etc.

6) You could also start out with a used scope at half that price, better learn what you want, and then sell the old one (or give it to your son) and then spend the $1K.

What will your son be studying? How will a microscope complement you and your wife's fun activities? Good news is that $800 to $1000 should get you a great scope - a notch above what you've listed.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:54 am

ChrisColorado wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:37 am
...I'm looking to purchase my first microscope, mostly for my son to use in college, and for my wife and I to use for fun....
None of the used microscopes mentioned above is lightweight or otherwise adapted for frequent commuting (between home and college). Maybe the extent and scope of usage at each site should be considered when choosing a model.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:05 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:54 am
ChrisColorado wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:37 am
...I'm looking to purchase my first microscope, mostly for my son to use in college, and for my wife and I to use for fun....
None of the used microscopes mentioned above is lightweight or otherwise adapted for frequent commuting (between home and college). Maybe the extent and scope of usage at each site should be considered when choosing a model.
Good point. The amount of usage your son will be able to give it, how necessary will it be to the courses he is taking and will he have a safe place to store it and use it should all be addressed.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

ChrisColorado

#5 Post by ChrisColorado » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:45 am

Hi,
I just want to thank everyone here for sharing their knowledge and wisdom.
I had not considered travel to and from school--spoke with my son, and with COVID, it would be rare.
I'm glad of the recommendation to get one less expensive, practice and learn, and then a nicer one if necessary.
I had a long discussion with my son, and he is much more partial to computer science than biology at the moment--both future proof careers. Pete--that was some good advice on maybe starting a bit lower.
So, my criteria have changed: Under $500, reliable, easy to use, and better than a toy. He does not need more than 400x or 600x at most per class requirements. I've removed the video/photography requirement--figure that could come later.
Guess I'm teachable :-)
I've got it down to the following now: Which would you recommend for a new person
***BALPLAN Microscope with Objectives
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-Ba ... 3177427290 (from an earlier post in this forum)
***OLYMPUS CH30 CH30RF100 RESEARCH BINOCULAR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-CH30-C ... 3405919453
***NIKON Alphaphot YS2-T
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Alphapho ... 4461862319
***REICHERT
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reichert-Micro ... 0972.m5489

I'm not sure if any of them are compatible with the 20x Nikon Plan Apos objective Pete mentioned like the Leica DMLS, but alas, I found one for a Leica for $750 and put in an offer on it--might get lucky.

Chris
I'm an engineer--like to buy a tool once and be set, so it was really hard to listen and research with a new low limit...and then stumble upon a DMLS that was within 33% of my objective. Good advice all around. Still learning...

ChrisColorado

#6 Post by ChrisColorado » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:53 am

I won it!
$525 including state taxes and delivery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-DMLS-Mic ... 7675.l2557

Now to find me one of those 20x Nikon Plan Apos objectivies: Any recommendations with a link?

Quite excited--it arrives on Friday, so Saturday will be my day and Sunday my son will get it :-)

Thank you Pete and everyone else.

Chris

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:36 am

Congrats.

There's a much longer story with the 20x Nikon Plan Apo. It's a 60mm parfocal objective with a 25mm thread. Your Leitz objectives are 45mm with a 25mm thread. The way I've used a DMLS to host Nikon objectives in the past is to put all 60mm Nikon objectives (and a Nikon head) on it OR to put a mix of objectives on 15mm parfocal extenders. Too much of a hassle to start over with Nikon objectives I'd think - or to fit your new scope with extenders.

You could use one of the Nikons, mindful of the huge difference in height, but that would only make sense if you're into photography and want to shoot a lot of subjects at 200x.

I'd suggest just using the scope you now have for a while. It's a decent scope and fairly priced. If and when ready to upgrade in the future we can help you take your time and get you to a next best step.

BramHuntingNematodes

#8 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 pm

PeteM wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:36 am

I'd suggest just using the scope you now have for a while. It's a decent scope and fairly priced. If and when ready to upgrade in the future we can help you take your time and get you to a next best step.
It will probably take no small amount of practice for a new microscopist to be able to set up the scope to be able to take advantage of apo lenses and, once that is achieved, to be able to discern the difference in the image quality.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

ChrisColorado

#9 Post by ChrisColorado » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:40 am

I just want to say THANK YOU.
My son is enjoying the DMLS microscope and it's working great.
I went out on a limb and got a 20x lens with adapter, works great. Now he has all five lenses (4,10,20,40,100).
I get to see some of the stuff he's doing in class. Pretty neat. Can't wait until he's done with his class so we can play some more.
Neat hobby. Looking at the world a bit differently now. Cool stuff!
Thanks again! I would not have had the confidence to buy without the help here, and all the other posts.
:-)
Chris
DMLS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-DMLS-Mic ... 7675.l2557
LENS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEICA-Vist ... 2749.l2649
ADAPTER
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M25x0-75-male- ... 2749.l2649

PeteM

#10 Post by PeteM » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Chris, Congratulations on the Leica DMLS - it's an excellent scope and looks like the 20x you bought should be superb.

I'd be curious to know what things end up interesting your son (and you) the most.