Various eye pieces

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Greg Howald

Various eye pieces

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:18 pm

My binocular finite scope came with super widefield eyepieces. My stereo scope came with extreme widefield eyepieces.
Am I sacrificing performance if I use the extreme widefield eyepieces in the binocular scope?
Do I need to buy super widefield 20x eyepieces for the binocular scope or just use extreme widefield eyepieces.
Is that breaking the rules regarding optical clarity?.
Thanks, Greg

PeteM

Re: Various eye pieces

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Depends on whether your microscope requires eyepiece corrections.

Generally, you'll get better resolution by choosing a higher power objective than going from a 10x to 20x eyepiece.

If it's just for visual observation, just try them and decide what you like.

For taking photos, then the possible need of corrections, the higher resolution from letting the objectives do the heavy lifting, and the likely better planarity of the proper not-super-duper-widefield eyepieces (and the same for the proper photo eyepiece if a trinocular scope) come into play.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks Pete.
Greg

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:49 pm

There are some eyepieces that work ok if not ideally for both compound and stereo, but some will be obviously intended for one or the other. The correct eyepieces for the Balplan, for example, are unusable on the stereozoom. You should be able.to tell by looking!
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:53 am

Some are interchangeable (nikon's are pretty much) others less so. And even if it works, getting a wider field number that looks good also depends on the head and objectives being able to deliver an image big enough and corrected out to the edges which isn't a guarantee either.