STAINS.. Sooo many these days

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
HPulchripes

STAINS.. Sooo many these days

#1 Post by HPulchripes » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:10 am

I was an avid microscopist when i was younger, but life changed and i ended up falling into IT. however I have decided to get back into it, since its lockdown and I havent much else to do. so I got a Swift SW380B and bits, which is fantastic. but I cant remember from my A-Level Biology (A* btw) which stains we used.
looking online they have all changed names and there appears to be 10 times the amount than i remember.
As advice which stains would you recommend I get to assist with each of these areas of interest?

Bacteriology
Mycology
Haematology
Parasitology
Histology

75RR

Re: STAINS.. Sooo many these days

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 am

I don't know if you are aware of Mic-UK, it is a very good source of microscopy information.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi,
here is an extensive database on stains: http://aeisner.de/
Some staining processes are fairly simple, some, like the beautiful Azan histology stain very involved. Generally stains are often unhealthy as they are made to attatch to cells. So when reading recipes like these it is important to check whether one is willing to cope with these substances and has the means to dispose them properly. The recipes don't point out these important differences! Some staining processes require fixation with pi-acid or mercury and one better is a chemist with lab experience to handle these substances. Nothing for the kitchen lab too!!! In the last decades a lot of valuable knowledge has ben developed of the dangers of chemicals. So some substances that were used in A levels school chemistry would bee seen as very unattractive today.
So I would recommend to pick one area and look for the acceptable methods there and apply them. This will keep you busy for a while. :D
Nice to hear that you are back in microscopy!

Bob

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Agree with Bob, start perhaps with the simple 'gram-stain' for bacteria - 2-stain method available cheaply in a kit.

Cotton-blue - for fungi perhaps, again easy.
John B

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:46 am

mrsonchus wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm
simple 'gram-stain'
This stain uses crystal violet - which creates cancer. In my view one should have some experience in preparation before using stain of this level. It is too easy to stain ones thumb! Happened recently on a group meeting...

Bob

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:06 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:46 am
This stain uses crystal violet - which creates cancer. In my view one should have some experience in preparation before using stain of this level. It is too easy to stain ones thumb! Happened recently on a group meeting...
There is always some type of risk in most chemicals these days. I performed many gram stains 30-40 years ago. We always used staining racks and forceps to keep from getting stained fingers. You can also use gloves.

Tom Jones

#7 Post by Tom Jones » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:33 pm

It might be a bit excessive, and it's certainly thorough, but there's always this to help you make up your mind: https://www.amazon.com/Conns-Biological ... 1859960995 :shock:

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:06 pm
We always used staining racks and forceps to keep from getting stained fingers. You can also use gloves.
Hi Charles, this is part of the lab method know how that is useful to use critical stuff in a safe way. So of cause it can be handled safely but one has to be set up in a sensible way.

Bob