Another beginner looking for Microscope Selection help

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Suamere

Another beginner looking for Microscope Selection help

#1 Post by Suamere » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:26 pm

I have done a lot of research, and I have settled on some requested features such as the following. An advanced person may recognize that I am using words with only partial understanding of their meaning. This is mainly for my 14 year old who is loving her Biology class.

1. Budget: I'm expecting to pay in the $1k - $2k range
2. Trinocular: I have a nice Nikon DSLR and already have some attachments and cabling. Though depending on the 'scope, I may need an adapter? Are they all standard?
3. Zoom Quality: I understand I want a 10x wide field eyepiece(s), and would spend most of my time with the lower objectives, but I do want a high quality 100x oil objective. Achromatic is probably fine.
4. Modular: I want to be able to swap parts where necessary. For example, swapping between bright/darkfield condensers? Also possibly DIN fittings over RMS?
5. Application: I was hoping to mainly focus on biological (if that isn't already obvious). But I hoped to also be able to review small solid things with my daughter. Feathers, Leaves, Pebbles, etc.

I realize the lighting comes from different places for a Compound vs Stereo microscopes. I also realize there is a difference in Working Distance, where Biological is much closer. It just boggles my mind that I can't find a Microscope that allows for a bit of both. Even if not the top of the line in either.

Wired is probably preferred
Good documentation and online support is preferred.

Scarodactyl

Re: Another beginner looking for Microscope Selection help

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:45 pm

You probably want both a stereo and a compound, yeah. It is possible to do a but of both in one scope, but it is always a bit of a compromise, so outside of some specific applications it makes sense to just have one of each. Plus side, your budget is big enough to get both in style.
This one just came up on eBay and seems like a potential deal
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114546451678
Totally modular and part of an excellent series. All set up for phase contrast but you can do brightfield with phase objectives with only a little degradation. I'm not sure if the condenser allows for brightfield by default? But if you made an offer around 1k it might be accepted which leaves some room for other components. You'd need a couple more parts to adapt your nikon camera but they aren't particularly expensive. Then you can think about maybe a different condenser or objectives.
You can do very well with other series too. The olympus bh2, nikon labophot/optiphot, zeiss universal, some american optical/reichert options and more, all quite viable in your price range. Then you can add on a decent stereo from a good name brand for 200-400 and still be within budget.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Agree with the above - starting the 14 year old with a stereo microscope and adding a compound microscope.

I can offer a PDF guide to various brands and models if you message me. I'd hold off spending the big bucks until your biology-interested daughter has some experience. Alternately, does she have something in particular of interest to see - maybe some upcoming science fair project?

To add - one of our local serial entrepreneurs is working on robotic agriculture - with the perfect time for plant picking (as well as when and what to feed plants) determined by digital spectrometry. I mention this because a $2000 budget could eventually buy a nice stereo microscope, a competent compound microscope, a spectrometer, and a 3D printer. All depends on where your daughter's interests take her?

Horseflesh

#4 Post by Horseflesh » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:21 am

I almost could have written that post... I have similar interests except I can pass on the stereo capabilities and I am hoping to spend $1k or less. Trinocular for camera support is a must. I have several cameras, I don't even care which one I hook up... DSLR or pocket camera would be fine, whatever is easiest to adapt.

Suamere

#5 Post by Suamere » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Thank you all very much. That particular ebay posting is expired now, but my algorithms say not to trust him anyway.

While I am all for eBay, I went ahead and purchased this one on sale (Plus discounted with code BF15 for black friday) for under $1500: https://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-brigh ... scope.html

My main issue is that, when I was young, my parents (or somebody, lol) bought me a Microscope from target or something, probably about $50 Stereo. I was excited at first, until I realized it only zoomed as far as I could honestly see if I just looked close and squinted. It took all my excitement and trampled it to nothingness.

So I want to nourish my daughter's excitement and not give her a cheap experience. I plan to spend time finding and preparing specimens, logging details, and going through the whole shabang. Thanks for the help.

Even though I already pulled the trigger, please feel free to share any concerns you would have with the microscope I purchased.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:52 pm

The microscope will work well enough. The price you paid is somewhat high. You have to take with a grain or more likely quite a few grains of salt, the quoted pricing scale that Amscope uses. Their list prices come from their dreams, as in how much they would like to fleece people for.

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 pm

I'm not surprised the olympus sold quickly. New that was several thousand bucks.
I hope you enjoy the amscope--do come back and tell us what you think after trying it out.