Australian Power Plug/ Adapter Use Question

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
chaosinnature

Australian Power Plug/ Adapter Use Question

#1 Post by chaosinnature » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:42 am

Hello,

I don't know a lot about power compatibility with microscopes, but I've been on the hunt for a Microscope for 6 months now. And it's exhausting.
The issue I come across, again and again, is my location; Australia. Both in price and in specifics.
Every time I find a microscope I like, I find the cheapest price for what I need and then I message the seller and ask if they provide an Australian plug, and nope. They tell me I should just get an "adapter". Now, I would, but my father who I'm sharing the microscope with doesn't want to use an adapter because he thinks it'll affect the Microscope.

What are people's knowledge and/or experience with this. Will an adapter "affect" the microscope in any way?

DrPhoxinus

Re: Australian Power Plug/ Adapter Use Question

#2 Post by DrPhoxinus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 am

I am a ham operator and have been shocked a number of times from high voltage to standing waves of radio energy

You use 230volts at 50 Hz

It would seem that any case a converter should work fine

Amazon US has them for $29

Gerard

chaosinnature

#3 Post by chaosinnature » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 am

DrPhoxinus wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 am
I am a ham operator and have been shocked a number of times from high voltage to standing waves of radio energy

You use 230volts at 50 Hz

It would seem that any case a converter should work fine

Amazon US has them for $29

Gerard
Thanks for this info :)
I don't want to do anything that is unsafe. So a converter/adapter from our 230-240V to the US 110-120V?

PrecisionInstruments

#4 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:30 am

If you’re in Perth, I’ll fit an Aussie plug for you at no charge.
Is the instrument going to be rated for 240VAC 50Hz?
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:20 am

chaosinnature wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:42 am
Hello,

I don't know a lot about power compatibility with microscopes, but I've been on the hunt for a Microscope for 6 months now. And it's exhausting.
The issue I come across, again and again, is my location; Australia. Both in price and in specifics.
Every time I find a microscope I like, I find the cheapest price for what I need and then I message the seller and ask if they provide an Australian plug, and nope. They tell me I should just get an "adapter". Now, I would, but my father who I'm sharing the microscope with doesn't want to use an adapter because he thinks it'll affect the Microscope.

What are people's knowledge and/or experience with this. Will an adapter "affect" the microscope in any way?

What exactly are you looking for in a microscope and have you looked other than in ebay.com (which is effectively ebay USA, hence the 110)

Nothing on ebay.com.au or local second hand sites?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

chaosinnature

#6 Post by chaosinnature » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:23 am

PrecisionInstruments wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:30 am
If you’re in Perth, I’ll fit an Aussie plug for you at no charge.
Is the instrument going to be rated for 240VAC 50Hz?
Thanks but I'm in Victoria.
Unsure what it's rated but I'm looking at the Omax M83ES and the Swift SW380T

chaosinnature

#7 Post by chaosinnature » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 am

75RR wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:20 am
chaosinnature wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:42 am
Hello,

What exactly are you looking for in a microscope and have you looked other than in ebay.com (which is effectively ebay USA, hence the 110)

Nothing on ebay.com.au or local second hand sites?
I'm looking at the OMAX M83ES and the Swift SW380T
I also don't feel confident enough to buy second hand and did look for second hand but couldn't find anything locally anyway (I'm Northern Victorian).