Transformer for Olympus Tokyo E model

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Novice

Transformer for Olympus Tokyo E model

#1 Post by Novice » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 am

Hi!
I need to buy a used transformer to power the illuminator for a vintage Olympus model ECE Bi microscope and I have a question so I have a shot at getting one that works. Will the light on the transformer go on if the transformer is plugged in and switched on even if the illuminator is not plugged in? I would assume it should, but wanted to make sure. Also, my manual has no images of the proper transformer for the E model, but online I've seen them paired with a couple of different transformers, so I'm assuming some of the Olympus Tokyo transformers are interchangeable, as long as the transformer is low voltage the leads from the illuminator fit the plug on the transformer. Does this sound about right?
Thank you, anyone who can respond. I am very new to this. Many thanks, Christy

deBult

Re: Transformer for Olympus Tokyo E model

#2 Post by deBult » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:17 am

The Olympus power supplies for E series are variable voltage 6V (max approx 8V) - 5 A altering current supplies.
The bulb requires a lot of current.

As long as the leads fit the plug and the trafo can supply sufficient current (A) you are OK (even Zeiss, Leitz etc with same power capabilities will work).

From memory - not 100% sure the indicator lamp on the trafo will light when powered on ( even with no lighting unit connected).

I may have one spare (have to check), I’m in Europe (220 V mains voltage input) , so mains plus Transport cost are probably prohibitive.

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-e ... ctions.pdf

Novice

Re: Transformer for Olympus Tokyo E model

#3 Post by Novice » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 am

Perfect. Thank you so much for your help!
Very kind of you.