Wondering if this microscope kit is a good deal

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
snef

Wondering if this microscope kit is a good deal

#1 Post by snef » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:46 pm

Hello,

I'm considering getting a microscope starter kit created by the people behind the youtube channel "Journey to the Microscosmos" listed here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ward=false.

As I am just getting started with microscopy, I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a good deal for what is included, and what the quality of the microscope is. I've been able to find some other kits that seem comparable and are cheaper, for example this AmScope https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-M500-Mag ... B004UNFSYG. I do want to use a phone adapter to capture images/live feed, which is included in the Microcosmos kit, so I would need to factor in the cost of that for any kits that don't include one.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine the quality of this starter kit from Microcosmos, and whether it is a good deal for me to get. I do want to support the channel, but I'm wondering if I would be able to get a kit of similar quality and including similar items for cheaper.

Thanks for any help!

Scarodactyl

Re: Wondering if this microscope kit is a good deal

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:15 pm

It's probably fine, but it doesn't look like an insanely good deal either. Anyone can order these direct from China--hopefully they plan to do a little QC before sending them out. The kit looks fun and all but the accessories are all things you can source separately.

If you really want thr maximum bang for your buck there are a used research-grade microscopes available selling for pennies on the dollar of their original price points. Depending on where you are located there may be a wealth of great options which will make it a lot easier to get results like they show on their channel (DIC excluded, since it will pretty much always be very expensive). This forum is an incredible resource for information on scopes of many kinds.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:36 pm

This kit is what kits are often: A collection of a lot of parts which mostly won't be used a single time.
A good starting kit depends on what you will actually try to observe, but some are used all the time:
- a pack of slides
- cover slips, ideally in different sizes, and round and rectangular
- a pipette
- a preparation needle
- a scalpel
- a fine pair of scissors
- sample containers
- some well slides
- a first slide box in case you make permanent slides

I do have some homemade Rheinberg filters and oblique and COL stops somewhere but haven't used them for years. For oblique I just swing out the auxillary lens or place a finger in the light path.
So I would think an order in a lab supply company would help you more.

Bob

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:41 pm

I'm no expert. That microscope looks good to me. I bet it's overpriced though.

Plasmid

#5 Post by Plasmid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 am

I saw it when they launched their last video, and was not impressed, like some members have already indicated there is tons of excellent lab grade microscopes that can be had on the used market for next to nothing. I'm not sure if the $275 includes their plan objectives, otherwise you are just getting non plan objectives. there is a certain appeal to this kit as it'll probably include a starter kit with instructions for people that have never used a microscope. Additionally you'll be supporting the channel, kind of like buying a pair of socks with their logo for $20 or a Tshirt for $30. The other downsize to this is that like all microscopes this one too will be made in China ( not that theres any problem with it) however for that amount of money ($500) you can actually buy a Chinese microscope from a more establish company, some will even come with a camera and trinocular head for pictures( https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-advan ... scope.html). To sum it all up in one sentence "if you're going to buy Chinese food don't buy it from a gas station" ;)
Last edited by Plasmid on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 am

Neither Firefox nor Chrome browsers show me any pix of this scope. I gather others are seeing more than the text description and prices??

Plasmid

#7 Post by Plasmid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am

PeteM wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 am
Neither Firefox nor Chrome browsers show me any pix of this scope. I gather others are seeing more than the text description and prices??

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:50 am

Thanks for that link, Plasmid.

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:55 am

Another thing you can check out is the clearance section on the Amscope site. Good savings there.
Greg

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 am

Here they show what the kits include: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... wards_page