phase contrast microscopy, the right condenser

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Menemey

phase contrast microscopy, the right condenser

#1 Post by Menemey » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Hello,

After having dealt with brightfield microscopy for a year, I would now like to switch to phase contrast microscopy. I have an Olympus CX 21 and would like to equip it with a phase contrast condenser with the appropriate objectives. The problem is, however, that I don't quite know which phase contrast condenser I need. Would the condenser CH2-PCD perhaps fit? I also have a filter holder from the CH2 models and it fits. Before I spend a lot of money, I wanted to ask you again.

Thanks in advance :)

Tunay

apochronaut

Re: phase contrast microscopy, the right condenser

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:53 pm

I would want to know for sure if such a swap was possible from an optical point of view before I threw money at such a project. In other words find someone who has done it. Having parts that fit is just the first step. The alignment of the phase annulus in the condenser and phase ring in the objective has to be complete in order for some form of useful phase contrast to take place.
Because the dimmensions and focal lengths of the condenser components are critical to bringing the phase annulus, phase plate, image plane and field diaphragm plane into correct alignment it is hard to determine if swapping condensers into a system will work at all, especially when crossing the border from fixed tube to infinity.
It is much easier to bring different objectives into a system and adjust the annular size to suit.

admin
Site Admin

Re: phase contrast microscopy, the right condenser

#3 Post by admin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:16 pm

I would contact someone from Olympus. The phase annuli of the condenser and the phase rings have to match as well.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)