Selecting BH2 adapter for photo AND video

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
mfemia

Selecting BH2 adapter for photo AND video

#1 Post by mfemia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:51 pm

I have a full-frame sony DSLR (my spouse's) and plan on purchasing the NFK 2.5x photo eyepiece. However, it isn't clicking with me which of the tube adapters to purchase to achieve both optimal photo AND video.

I've read through Alan Wood's and Charles Krebs' documents about setting up either a photo OR a video setup with the BH2 -- as well as a handful of threads on here. The Photomicro Adapter L seems recommended for photo -- assuming because OEM. But the U-PMTVC (or MTV-3) adapter seems recommended both on here and Alan Wood's doc for video. Intuitively it seems that the 0.3x magnification on the U-PMTVC would alter the magnification for image setup of full-frame + NFK 2.5x, but am I missing key information about video with DSLR (in general) that makes the 0.3x mag optimal? On a similar note, I see the U-PMTVC referred by user @Tom Jones with his micro 4/3 lumix gh4, and he mentioned he used this setup for video almost exclusively on a few different threads but I THINK this was to specifically optimize the 4/3 format. Please correct me if wrong.

Regrettably, I'm quite new to photography and video outside of using modern research scopes on the job (which were already setup!), which is why I've placed this thread here and not the imaging forum.

TLDR: I'm trying to understand which adapter I need to accommodate both photo and video on a BH2 using a full-frame dslr and NFK 2.5x and also try to understand how a photo setup might be different from a video setup.

Scarodactyl

Re: Selecting BH2 adapter for photo AND video

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 pm

When the mtv-3 is recommended for 'video' it means small film/small sensor video cameras. You only need one adapter for your camera, the nfk + photomicro L or equivalent.

Tom Jones

Re: Selecting BH2 adapter for photo AND video

#3 Post by Tom Jones » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:16 pm

Which Sony? Find out what part of the sensor is being used for the video resolution you intend to shoot. If it shoots video using the full frame at that resolution, your good with the NFK 2.5x. If it's smaller than full frame, you'll either need to accept the crop factor or come up with another solution. You won't know until you see what part of the frame is being used for video.