Canon EOS DSLR to 23.2mm adapter

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
keikaname

Canon EOS DSLR to 23.2mm adapter

#1 Post by keikaname » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi All,

Could you please advise is it a good idea to buy DSLR to eyepiece adapter? Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Bayonet- ... 3135869781

Of course it'll be necessary to use a tripod :). But what about picture quality?

Scarodactyl

Re: Canon EOS DSLR to 23.2mm adapter

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Results will depend on what microscope you're using but tjey probably won't be great. It definitely won't be parfocal if it's a typical photo eyepiece port since the image will be down inside the tube, a long ways down from where your sensor can sit, and refocusing your optics will push them out of spec and likely introduce optical issues. You will also be missing any eyepiece corrections if applicable. Overall you can probably find a better way to hook up a dslr depending on what system you have.

Papainoeldopolosul

#3 Post by Papainoeldopolosul » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:52 am

Im new here too, but actually had stumble upon the same problem as well.

To sumarize, as stated before, with a generic microscope, i had not much of a good experience with that kind of adapter.

There is a bigger one, with a lens inside (which i think should act like a 10x eyepiece), that will be better (althoug in my microscope also not parfocal or simulfocal, but thats problably on the scope as well). The images below show what I'm talking about. I own a version of the first one, don't know if it is great, but it is definetely better than the one with no lens, at least for my generic chinese scope.

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Watch this video, where I tested a DSLR adapter:
https://youtu.be/Ju8rgeJr3bI

The one with the optics is better, because it can give you mostly a parfocal image. It will pick up the image from inside the tube. The one without optics will introduce extra empty magnification and it is not parfocal, because it is too far out (not there where the objective creates the image).
Oliver
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

keikaname

#5 Post by keikaname » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks to all!

So it looks like the one with lens is a better choice. As I saw in video 2x adapter was used. I also spotted 0.5x and 9.6x options on Ebay, the last one was significantly cheaper. Does it makes a sense to try 9.6x or it will give an empty magnification most likely?

Chas

#6 Post by Chas » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi, I am new here too :-)
But I have an EOS APSC dslr; I have tried 4 different sorts of adapter: I started with a generic 'NDPL-2' and then purchased a more expensive one from Amscope, which was quite a bit better than the first [even though it just said NDPL-2 on the side (No 'Amscope' label or anything)] I then wanted a lower magnification/wider field of view adapter and came across a 'Luxan' brand on ebay and because the of the postage I bought two sorts of theirs ..one with an internal iris and one with just a single lens, like the one in your picture. It might be my bad luck but the one with the iris was a complete waste of time.
The single lens one is 1/2 ok but it gives a red colour to the left of the pics and the images show spherical aberation ( however when you need that extra bit of width, you need it!).
I then got one of the lensless adapters, when I first used it it gave a really foggy photos, however I rolled some 2mm thick black foam sheet (it was called 'eva foam') and put it in the tube and the image was great, the foam causes some vignetting but need not go all the way to the camera mount face. (The foam also comes in 1mm thick which might be better) it now has some telecope flocking in it, just because it 'sounded better'.
I now only use the lens-less camera adapter, but my camera has a tilting backscreen which I focus with, I have a monocular microscope, and as I photograph unmounted/unsectioned objects I end up focus-stacking many photos and the dust that can get on the adapter's lenses make annoying long black streaks when the pics are stacked.
Also, I am not bothered by parfocality and stuff like that.

Chas

#7 Post by Chas » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:50 pm

There is another significant difference between the lens-less and the lensed adapters: With the lensless adapter the image on the camera screen moves in the same way as the object is moved by the stage (and the image is not upside down ) this is not the case with the lensed adapters.
(The exposure time is greater with the Amscope adapter than the lensless one, possibly because the NDPL-2's field of view is smaller).

bonif

#8 Post by bonif » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Chas wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:59 pm
Hi, I am new here too :-)
But I have an EOS APSC dslr; I have tried 4 different sorts of adapter: I started with a generic 'NDPL-2' and then purchased a more expensive one from Amscope, which was quite a bit better than the first [even though it just said NDPL-2 on the side (No 'Amscope' label or anything)] I then wanted a lower magnification/wider field of view adapter and came across a 'Luxan' brand on ebay and because the of the postage I bought two sorts of theirs ..one with an internal iris and one with just a single lens, like the one in your picture. It might be my bad luck but the one with the iris was a complete waste of time.
The single lens one is 1/2 ok but it gives a red colour to the left of the pics and the images show spherical aberation ( however when you need that extra bit of width, you need it!).
I then got one of the lensless adapters, when I first used it it gave a really foggy photos, however I rolled some 2mm thick black foam sheet (it was called 'eva foam') and put it in the tube and the image was great, the foam causes some vignetting but need not go all the way to the camera mount face. (The foam also comes in 1mm thick which might be better) it now has some telecope flocking in it, just because it 'sounded better'.
I now only use the lens-less camera adapter, but my camera has a tilting backscreen which I focus with, I have a monocular microscope, and as I photograph unmounted/unsectioned objects I end up focus-stacking many photos and the dust that can get on the adapter's lenses make annoying long black streaks when the pics are stacked.
Also, I am not bothered by parfocality and stuff like that.
hi chas,

im just looking for a adapter and your experience help me :D
could you illustrate your system lens-less please? maybe indicate a lensless adapter?
could you provide also few pictures took in the system without lens? please :D

many thanks

Chas

#9 Post by Chas » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 pm

bonif, it is a really simple thing ; an empty tube that is joined to a canon ef lens mount:
Attachments
Eos adapter shrunk pic.jpg
Eos adapter shrunk pic.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 6048 times

bonif

#10 Post by bonif » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:29 am

Chas wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 pm
bonif, it is a really simple thing ; an empty tube that is joined to a canon ef lens mount:
thanks chas... i think i will take the risk heheh
cheers

Chas

#11 Post by Chas » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:50 pm

bonif, well done :-) You may already have some way of taking the photos without having to press the button on the camera body?? -If your camera has a socket on the side for it; a ' Remote Shutter Release Switch Control' (as they are called on ebay ) is a very nice thing. On my camera it is underneath the rubber flap that says "MIC" on it.
I have found the very cheapest ones work ok.
Chas
(Dont forget to put something in the adapter-tube ; the 'roughness' of the material seems to be more important than its 'blackness' ).

bonif

#12 Post by bonif » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Chas wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:50 pm
bonif, well done :-) You may already have some way of taking the photos without having to press the button on the camera body?? -If your camera has a socket on the side for it; a ' Remote Shutter Release Switch Control' (as they are called on ebay ) is a very nice thing. On my camera it is underneath the rubber flap that says "MIC" on it.
I have found the very cheapest ones work ok.
Chas
(Dont forget to put something in the adapter-tube ; the 'roughness' of the material seems to be more important than its 'blackness' ).
hey chas thanks for the advice :D
theoretically i can use the an app to shut with my nikon camera. need yet to check.

also, i just saw in the ebay webpage of the svbony adapter that it does not fit mirrorless camera. maybe because they have a different type of connection (z mount). But could be because the field of view is too small in the full frame sensor.

i could ask you a photo done using your adapter in the APSC sensor please ?
i assume that the field of view from the microscope (rounded) doesn't fit the full image (rectangular) when you make a shut?

thanks

Chas

#13 Post by Chas » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Mirrorless!
-Bonif, the sensor in my mirrored apsc camera sits about 45mm behind the flange on the front of the camera, that gives the light some distance to spread out from the adapter and cover the sensor . In a mirrorless camera the sensor is much closer to the front of the camera (as there no need to make room for the mirror to swing up and out of the way) so there isnt as much room for the light to spreadout and so it could vignette quite badly, if mounted as closely.
However I see that there are lens-less adapters for Nikon mirrorless cameras (I think ) on ebay and these have an extra ~3 cm extension-tube between the camera body and microscope part.
There shouldnt be any reason why, given this extra distance, they should give a different image than the closer-mounted adapter, on my mirrored canon, but I could be wrong.
I quite envy the idea of being able to focus the microscope and take the photos using an Ipad / phone !!
Chas
I do get a tiny bit of vignetting in the corners of some pics but I can eliminate that using extension tubes, but I don't bother. By cutting the black lining so that it finishes ~5mm before the back of the adapter it is hardly noticable.

bonif

#14 Post by bonif » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:45 am

i will take a look if i find that adapter youre talking about.
im waking an adapter i have bought yesterday. we gonna see how it will works heheh

best wishes

Chas

#15 Post by Chas » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:20 pm

A search for something like ' 23.2mm microscope adapter tube for Nikon mirrorless camera' will show them, I think.
This shows the the extra extension tube that comes with the mirrorless version of the lens-less adapter (in this case for a Canon eos M series):
Attachments
eos M mount microscope adapter crop.jpg
eos M mount microscope adapter crop.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

bonif

#16 Post by bonif » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 am

thanks chas.
i will keep in mind, but first i need to test that i have bought already heheh