Swift 380b vs 380t

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
NicholasC.

Swift 380b vs 380t

#1 Post by NicholasC. » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:50 pm

Hey I am new to microscopy and I am battling between which microscope I should get. Either the swift 380 b or 380t. I am leaning towards the b version because I do not need the trim oil at eye piece as I am not doing and photography and if I record I will be doing that through through one of the eye pieces. Does anyone have the 480b and if so how are you liking it.

Thank you

Nicholas

ailevin

Re: Swift 380b vs 380t

#2 Post by ailevin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:39 am

I have a 380B arriving tomorrow, I will let you know what I think. I have little experience with microscopes, so my input will be that of a newcomer. This model was recommended by Oliver Kim, the price seemed right, and it seemed like a reasonable entry point to explore my own interests. I chose the 380B rather than the 380Tmy experience with birding and astronomy tells me I am not very interested in photography except for help in identification. I will still be looking for a stereo microscope as well.

Alan

ailevin

#3 Post by ailevin » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:56 am

I have been having a ball with my 380B microscope. I have done some iphone photography through one of the eyepieces using a Gosky adapter I had bought for a small telescope. I even had some success hand holding a phone during a facetime call to show my granddaughters this evening. So far, I have no regret going for the B version rather than T. I have not used my Gosky adapter very much on my telescope, and I am not sure how much I will be taking pictures through the microscope. However, since I know nothing of microorganisms, but photographing through one of the eyepieces may come in handy. It certainly works well enough for me to get help with identification.

I pretty much followed Oliver's basic introduction to using a microscope to get started. The microscope came with no accessories, so I ordered a prepared set of 25 slides as well as some blank slides and cover slips. I bought all of it on Amazon. The prepared slides I ordered were very inexpensive ($7.99) but once I had ordered everything, I saw that the prepared slides would arrive five days after the microscope, so I ordered a different set of 25 prepared slides that were double the cost but available the same day as the microscope. I was glad I had the prepared slides to work with as I figured things out. Anyway, the second set of slides arrived today, and they appeared almost identical out of the package. They were in the same hardwood box, and it was exactly the same 25 slide in exactly the same order. The only immediately visible difference was that the expensive set had Amscope written on the box and also on each slide. Under the microscope it was a different story. The cheaper slides were worse in so many ways--folded samples, dirt, bubbles, crushed or broken samples. It seems the cheaper set were seconds, or maybe my $15.99 set were seconds and these were thirds, but you get the idea. If you are getting slides, the Amscope branded set was much much better than the cheaper no name set.

I have been very pleased with the telescope. My biggest initial complaint was that the coarse focus did not seem very smooth. However, I read somewhere that there is an outer ring behind the coarse focus on the right hand side which adjusts the tension, and once I set that properly it was much better. I am glad I moved up to a mechanical stage and condenser. It also has a flip out filter holder which I haven't used, but again based on Oliver's advice I am sure I will be making a dark field filter. I guess I could complain that it came with no accessories. A case to store it would be nice. The instructions say little to nothing. Yet it was considerably less expensive than on premium eyepiece for my telescope, so I really can't complain.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Alan
P.S. This image is nothing special from a prepared slide, I'm not even sure I had the focus quite right. Also it is a reduction of the phone picture from 4.3MB to 128KB, but it demonstrates that you can get plenty of detail with a simple set up.
Attachments
IMG_3162.JPG
IMG_3162.JPG (103.38 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

NicholasC.

#4 Post by NicholasC. » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 am

I am sorry for not even responding to this. Your review is amazing and so helpful! Enjoy your microscope and I hope to get it soon!