Need help figuring out which compound microscope I should buy.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
mondo1948

Need help figuring out which compound microscope I should buy.

#1 Post by mondo1948 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Hello Everybody,
I haven't gotten a microscope since I was about 10 years old....I'm now 72. That first microscope had no light, had little clips to hold the slides in place, (which constantly fell out), and rediculous lenses that produced very blurry views at higher power. So, here I am, considering the various scopes on the net.

It appears that a basic scope from companies like amscope and omax are around $200.00. From there, they go up in price, like anything we buy, as features are added on. I could use some help with the various features.

1. Do I want a trinocular scope so if I get into taking photos, using a dedicated microscope camera or DSLR camera, I won't have to constantly remove an eyepiece to insert the camera? I've read that the weight of a camera added to one of the bino's can stress the scope. I've also noticed that for around $20.00, you can buy a mount to hold a cell phone over an eyepiece. If that will work, I could stay with a binocular, rather than a trinocular scope. Of course, I wonder if mounting the cell phone will stress the bino.
2. Do I want a larger stage....(that seems to add some to the price)?
3. Do I want the ability for the head to be able to rotate 360 degrees, so I can share views without having to get off the chair and have someone sit down to view in my seat....I think that's what the rotating head is for? I don't find this too critical, but it looks like the way companies bundle features, I might have to go with the rotating head to get a good trinocular.
4. Do I want halogen lighting? If not, is 1w led lighting enough or do I need 3w led lighting?

The Amscope T490B-LED scope, which is offered for $380.00, is a trinocular, has a rotating head, larger base with hand-rest, fine/coarse adjustments, 3w led lighting, has a lock for up and down "stops". If I drop down to a basic trinocular (model t300c), without the rotating head, 1w led lighting and I think the same lenses, the price goes down to $225.00. I think, but am not sure, whether the extra $125.00 is worth the extra features. Of course, what I've learned over the years is sometimes the more expensive package is worth the money and down the road, if you want or need to sell to fund something else, there can be a better return.

Any help would be breatly appreciated.
Mondo
Last edited by mondo1948 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DonSchaeffer

Re: Help figuring out what compound microscope I should buy.

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 pm

The typical low priced Amscope has a rotating head. I think most low end scopes do. I use a camera on my low end one eyepiece scope and never use the eyepiece. I view everything through the computer. That would greatly simplify things for you. Happy hunting.

mondo1948

Re: Help figuring out what compound microscope I should buy.

#3 Post by mondo1948 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:27 pm

Hello Don,
Thanks for replying to my posting!
What kind of camera do you use? I'm intrigued about using a computer to do all the viewing. I was looking for an excuse to get a new laptop anyway.

Thanks,
Mondo

DonSchaeffer

Re: Need help figuring out which compound microscope I should buy.

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:31 am

It's a Hiyear camera. It wasn't expensive. It performs adequately for still images and video.

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:03 am

Hi Mondo,
microscope choice is discussed in this forum frequently and many people look for the same thing as you, a usable microscope to start with, not too limiting, not too expensive. So you might have a look what has been recommdended in the past.
Camera choice is very much a question of expected image quality. Some eyepiece cameras just cover a tiny area from the middle of the field, not usable for more than the most basic expectations. Others give quite an acceptable image.
If you have a better smartphone this could be a perfect microscope camera. When used on a binocular tube it will tend to rotate down and produce vertical images, but this can be avoided with a simple contraption.
Viewing over a computer screen is favoured by some microscopists, especially those who have problems with mouches volantes. USB cameras will have a certain lag though so it might be not the best solution for moving subjects.

Bob

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:16 am

mondo1948 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:02 pm
Hello Everybody,
I haven't gotten a microscope since I was about 10 years old....I'm now 72. That first microscope had no light, had little clips to hold the slides in place, (which constantly fell out), and rediculous lenses that produced very blurry views at higher power. So, here I am, considering the various scopes on the net.

It appears that a basic scope from companies like amscope and omax are around $200.00. From there, they go up in price, like anything we buy, as features are added on. I could use some help with the various features.

1. Do I want a trinocular scope so if I get into taking photos, using a dedicated microscope camera or DSLR camera, I won't have to constantly remove an eyepiece to insert the camera? I've read that the weight of a camera added to one of the bino's can stress the scope. I've also noticed that for around $20.00, you can buy a mount to hold a cell phone over an eyepiece. If that will work, I could stay with a binocular, rather than a trinocular scope. Of course, I wonder if mounting the cell phone will stress the bino.
2. Do I want a larger stage....(that seems to add some to the price)?
3. Do I want the ability for the head to be able to rotate 360 degrees, so I can share views without having to get off the chair and have someone sit down to view in my seat....I think that's what the rotating head is for? I don't find this too critical, but it looks like the way companies bundle features, I might have to go with the rotating head to get a good trinocular.
4. Do I want halogen lighting? If not, is 1w led lighting enough or do I need 3w led lighting?

The Amscope T490B-LED scope, which is offered for $380.00, is a trinocular, has a rotating head, larger base with hand-rest, fine/coarse adjustments, 3w led lighting, has a lock for up and down "stops". If I drop down to a basic trinocular (model t300c), without the rotating head, 1w led lighting and I think the same lenses, the price goes down to $225.00. I think, but am not sure, whether the extra $125.00 is worth the extra features. Of course, what I've learned over the years is sometimes the more expensive package is worth the money and down the road, if you want or need to sell to fund something else, there can be a better return.

Any help would be breatly appreciated.
Mondo
Just my opinion.
A major factor when considering a microscope is ergonomics, convenience, ease of use, mechanical stability. Another major factor is illumination. Good, highly intense illumination is a must.
A trinocular head is important. To enjoy the microscope, it should be ready for action and photography whenever you want. So the camera should be permanently installed, and it is much better with a trino head.
A rotating head is important, but as Don mentioned, it is a common feature even of basic instruments.
A base with hand-rest, although an ergonomic feature, is not that important.
A powerful light source, that yields Kohler illumination, is very important regardless of the type of lamp (halogen/LED). The real drawback of halogen is that it may warm up the specimen and ruin it - unless the bulb is sufficiently remote from the specimen (if it is attached at the back of the scope). Also, must have spare bulbs since they can burn out. A 1W LED sounds much too low - even a 3W is not over-intense.
In addition, knowledge of expandability for other illumination and contrast modes is of interest prior to buying.