AO Spencer stereoscope objectives

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Stomias

AO Spencer stereoscope objectives

#1 Post by Stomias » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:00 pm

I have a AO Spencer Model 26 stereo microscope. It came with 1x and 2x objectives. I won an auction for the complete head of the Spencer version that has the angled prism housing. I bought the whole head for the 4X objective and got it for $10. My question, does anyone know how these objectives are installed? I've looked at the head of mine and it has a center hub with 3 positions to hold the objective and a pin on the outer rim of the head/turret, Does anyone have experience with this? There is an open position on my scope unlike this pic which looks like only 2 positions... https://photos.app.goo.gl/viuxLwBEByfJfdVc6

apochronaut

Re: AO Spencer stereoscope objectives

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:33 pm

You grasp the objective or in the case of the .7X and 1X, the provided handle and lever it out and up.
Installation is the reverse. With the objective body angled radially about 30 degrees out from the vertical, lock the bevelled side of the objective base into the outer spring retainer, then push the bottom of the objective in until it snaps into place.

.Sometimes the objectives can be looser than one would like or too stiff snapping in or breaking free, when removing. The locking springs on the inside can be adjusted so that all the objectives have just the right degree of stiffness.

Stomias

#3 Post by Stomias » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Excellent apo! Thanks. I kind of figured it swung and snapped in. I looked all over for a manual. Found all sorts of stuff but nothing on this process. This stereoscope is in great condition for a 57 year old unit. I'm so glad I bought it, the views are great! I figured it needed that 3rd slot filled and my OCD needed balance! :). I now have 2 sets of eyepieces that fit both 'scopes, (10x and 15x) of course I now am looking at 20x's and even more objectives for the AO Spencer 26. Do you think 20x eyepieces are worth getting? As I've said in other posts, in comparison to telescope eyepieces these things seem crazy inexpensive, and for 2 of them!

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Originally, those scopes had the older stereo eyepieces that came in a 9X, 12X,15X and 18X series. Those are unmarked as to catalogue number but they all look similar, except for the diameter of the eyelens. Later, after the Cycloptic was evolved the #146 , and 147 were used. I don't know of a 20X. Maybe there was.
The difference is that while the earlier series of eyepieces offered decently wide views, the lateral corrections were not quite as good as the later 10X # 146 and 15X # 147 along with wider f's.o.v.
If you could find a 20X set that was decently corrected for those objectives, I'm pretty sure you would be overstepping the boundaries of the optics. It makes more sense to get a full set of objectives : .7X, 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, 6X and 8X.
I use a 28 LF with the articulating arm sometimes for very large objects. You could for instance peer into the foliage of a considerable sized plant or look at the bark of a 12" log. Changing the objectives is a breeze and if you don't require the extra w.d. that a low power X high power combination gives you, the resolution is superior with a high power X low power combination.

Stomias

#5 Post by Stomias » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:53 pm

Ah! That all makes sense. I should just be happy and use the stuff I have before going off and buying more crap. Ebay and Craigslist and FB marketplace will be the death of me. I'll get this 4x objective and put it through the paces. A couple of weeks ago I got a set of B&L 15x eyepieces that give great views! Thanks again for all your insights. This group is great!

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:52 pm

Stomias wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:53 pm
Ah! That all makes sense. I should just be happy and use the stuff I have before going off and buying more crap. Ebay and Craigslist and FB marketplace will be the death of me. I'll get this 4x objective and put it through the paces. A couple of weeks ago I got a set of B&L 15x eyepieces that give great views! Thanks again for all your insights. This group is great!
I am certainly prone to "collector fever" and am forever struggling to not buy stuff I don't need because "it goes with it". What one is working on will determine what's needed, but I find I tend to use 7-20x the vast majority of the time, only occasionally stepping up to higher magnifications for specific tasks that need it. My stereo goes up to 80x with a 2x barlow, but I don't thik I would miss it if I didn't have it; the need is so rare for what I do currently.

Stomias

#7 Post by Stomias » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:23 pm

dtsh wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:52 pm
Stomias wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:53 pm
I am certainly prone to "collector fever" and am forever struggling to not buy stuff I don't need because "it goes with it". What one is working on will determine what's needed, but I find I tend to use 7-20x the vast majority of the time, only occasionally stepping up to higher magnifications for specific tasks that need it. My stereo goes up to 80x with a 2x barlow, but I don't thik I would miss it if I didn't have it; the need is so rare for what I do currently.
:) :)

Stomias

#8 Post by Stomias » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 am

Well I got the objective. I forgot it was a 3x not 4x. The whole shebang was in excellent condition and removing the objective from the old nosepiece and re-installing on mine was easy (thanks apo) A couple of bonuses: The whole head is in great condition (also has a 1X objective on it). The body is completely compatible with my old stand too. It has a real close serial number to mine except it has the tilted ocular holders. I was going to us it to replace my microscope body but discovered it only holds 2 objectives unlike my original that holds 3 (now filled with 1x, 2x, 3x) I thought maybe I'd swap nosepieces so I had the 3 objective one on the new body (I like the idea of the angled eyepieces). The nosepieces look swappable but I'm not 100% sure they are....Ah hell, I'll probably just keep things the way they are....An added bonus to the package, there were 2 eyepieces in the body (I knew this from the auction pix) but also two more 23mm eyepieces a 15x and another 10x. There were also two other longish tubes (don't seem to fit 23mm, 30mm ocular holders AND a 2X barlow) I think the barlow is for .965 telescope eyepiece tubes. There are a couple other adapters also in the mix.....I'll take some pix later and add to this post.....All this stuff for $10.00....No one else bid.. :)

Stomias

#9 Post by Stomias » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:47 pm

So here's the new body of the stereo microscope (With 3X objective removed) I cleaned some ancient hardened glue off the front (probably from some sort of lab or school label). This thing is in great shape! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdPVkSEKEpGTTQ1E7

Here are the tubes and adaptors that were thrown in with it. What their use is is a mystery to me. The fit nothing in the microscope or telescope world that I can find. Not 30mm not 23mm not .965 not 1.25"..... The 2 pieces on the right are .965 telescope eyepiece (20mm Huygens) and 2x barlow. Those silver pieces were attached to the tubes above them. Does anyone know anything about these? https://photos.app.goo.gl/CaS9WnSQAqKHNLtUA