Looking to get my first compound microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
FireNIceFly

Looking to get my first compound microscope

#1 Post by FireNIceFly » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to get a compound microscope, suitable for amateur and lab work, and microphotography. I already have a telescope, why I mention this is because I have bought a reducer lens for astrophotography that fits on my DSLR camera and was wondering if I could use the reducer for microphotography when using the DSLR. I've been looking at trinocular compound microscopes (or at least a microscope that allows for both physically viewing and using a camera at the same time).

Before that though I need the microscope but there seems to be so many choices but the two that seem to come more often on searches are AmScope and Brunel microscopes. I have looked into second hand as well but they seem to be very difficult to get hold off, even on the Brunel site there's not many.

So any advise, microscope brands, etc. would be very helpful. I have about £600 budget at the moment but that's flexible.

Thank you

Adz

dtsh

Re: Looking to get my first compound microscope

#2 Post by dtsh » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 am

Hello,

I'm not into the photography angle, so my info in that regard will be limited; that said...
Most astro gear is 1.25" or 2" and many microscopes are 22.2mm, so you'll likely need a different tube for the T-adapter (or whatever it is you're using).

As for what to get, the better you can describe what you want to do, the better the recommendations you'll get. Where you are also matters quite a bit; those in Europe will have better access to certain brands and those in North America will have access to other brands, etc. Given the units, I'm guessing you're nowhere near me so I'll have to leave brand advice to those nearer to you. There's a whole complex world of microscopy and marcophotography, so I would advise you to read as much as you can and ask lots of questions.

What subjects are you hoping to see? Anything in particular?
For things like insects down to multicellular pond life and large plant cells, a stereo microscope is probably the best bet, but for many single-celled protists, bacteria, etc you'll need a compound. Each has it's place and has strengths and weaknesses.

One can drop as much or as little into this and still get "results" (within reason) so there's a lot of wiggle room, especially if you're willing to accept a good used microscope; advanced features such as DIC can drive the price up rapidly, even for an older model.

I'm still relatively new myself, having been at this in earnest only a couple of years, so the questions I wish I had asked are still relatively fresh in my mind.

FireNIceFly

#3 Post by FireNIceFly » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I have been using microscopes in college but lack some of the features I want. I live in the UK (so unfortunately and frustratingly Brexit has obviously impacted on choice now).

With a microscope, I want to be viewing things as small as bacteria and up in size from there to pond life, for example. I have looked at stereo microscopes as well, but that will be further down the line for now.

Microphotography will be a big area for me here, especially with university experiments that will be conducted in and out of the lab. Other than the smaller tube for T-Adapters, I assume I could still use the reducer lens then. I would ideally have a good contrast so cells, pond life, etc. will show up well.

I've struggled to find much in the way of second hand microscopes if I'm honest but that would be a good option if I can find a place to get them.

How are you finding microscopy?

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:36 pm

I don't know how things are there, but around here used microscopes are effectively invisible; there's plenty of them, but they are hard to spot unless you look in the right places. Ebay and the like should get you an idea of what's available; if you're lucky there will be someone in your area who can offer more precise info.

As for how am I enjoying it? I have my fingers in a lot of pies, microscopy being only one of them so my time is necessarily divided. For me microscopy is about 1/3 practical 2/3 play, as I tend to use it to monitor the health of our animals; a few of which have some chronic issues. It saves me a few dollars here and there, but mostly it helps us to spot a problem before it gets out of hand.

I do find it interesting how sometimes a practical solution becomes a hobby and vice-versa. I moved to a new home a few years ago, this one located in a swamp. As one would expect the biting flies and mosquitoes were more than just an annoyance, so I took to studying them; "know your enemy" and all that. I picked up a stereo microscope early last year to help me with that and it has paid off well and has allowed me to better deploy traps and other measures basd on species particulars, which keeps the populations tolerable; plus it has been quite interesting.

FireNIceFly

#5 Post by FireNIceFly » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:53 pm

It seems to be very difficult to find microscopes, even on ebay they tend to be either kids ones or basic ones that are not anywhere near what I'm looking for. The closest to what I'm looking for is on the Brunel's site but what they have second hand is limited. It may be a case of buying new if there isn't any decent second hand microscopes about.

I agree, it is funny how practical work can turn into a hobby, though it does sound like your line of work is more interesting than the general kind of work out there. I'll be splitting microscopy between that, astronomy (I have a new 9.25" telescope I've not really had a chance to properly use yet thanks to study and weather), photography, studying (for a masters in astro sciences), general home life and needing some relax time. How nice it would be to have more time. Are you a vet then?

That does sound like an interesting and practical use/solution to the flies in your area. Where about do you live (if you don't mind me asking)? I don't tend to get those problems here, except in summer but it's only gnats as dusk anyway.

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:50 pm

FireNIceFly wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:53 pm
It seems to be very difficult to find microscopes, even on ebay they tend to be either kids ones or basic ones that are not anywhere near what I'm looking for. The closest to what I'm looking for is on the Brunel's site but what they have second hand is limited. It may be a case of buying new if there isn't any decent second hand microscopes about.
Have you tried posting in the for sale/wanted sub-forum?
FireNIceFly wrote:
I agree, it is funny how practical work can turn into a hobby, though it does sound like your line of work is more interesting than the general kind of work out there. I'll be splitting microscopy between that, astronomy (I have a new 9.25" telescope I've not really had a chance to properly use yet thanks to study and weather), photography, studying (for a masters in astro sciences), general home life and needing some relax time. How nice it would be to have more time. Are you a vet then?
Not a vet, IT by profession; though that too was once a hobby. I too share an interest in astronomy, including some dabbling in ATM. Even I have trouble at times understanding how I get involved some interests, but it keeps me out of trouble.
FireNIceFly wrote:
That does sound like an interesting and practical use/solution to the flies in your area. Where about do you live (if you don't mind me asking)? I don't tend to get those problems here, except in summer but it's only gnats as dusk anyway.
The northern USA, Wisconsin, it's off-season now with everything locked in ice so I have been studying specimens caught earlier in the year.

Chas

#7 Post by Chas » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 pm

FireNIceFly, this may be a bit late and you have got yourself sorted, but have you considered the older monocular English microscopes (the black/grey ones) ? - They might be a bit under your budget but they are very enjoyable to use ; you see the benefits from cleaning their optics and feel the benefit from cleaning, greasing and adjusting their focus controls.
Beck 47's are very sturdy as are Watsons, the Cooke Troughton Simms M1000 is a very lovely thing [and you can tell that CTS were instrument makers] - you might draw a short straw on the clarity objectives, but you can always purchase a Nikon CFI or two if you want to start off with brand new glass.

Stomias

#8 Post by Stomias » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:01 pm

A month in to this for me. I have been an amateur astronomer for 50 years and HAVE found uses for telescopic 1.25" T adapters for microscopy. Hadn't even thought about trying my reducer/corrector for this though. :) I bought 2 microscopes, a Reichert Microstar IV off of ebay for $150.00. A wonderful instrument. Also bought a stereo microscope (A.O. Spencer model 26 from 1964). $100.00 for that. Another great scope! Assorted accessories and I'm all in for about $400.00. Am loving it!!!

My aquarium has been a rich source of entertainment......................

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZnPTo25D8fsJtGh9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpVqcZnin7H9wUEa7

Chas

#9 Post by Chas » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Really enjoyable photographs and videos, Stomias...I can now see why one might have an aquarium ;-)

FireNIceFly; Have you looked at the 'Used and ex-demonstration equipment' section on the Brunel Microscopes website?
I have purchased a few older/used objectives from them and they have all been bright and clear.