Advice buying a stereomicroscope ~200€

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Krs

Advice buying a stereomicroscope ~200€

#1 Post by Krs » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm

We had a simple cheap Bresser 20x stereoscope. I gave it away for 20 €, because there we things I could not do, or I was missing:

Greater magnification - 40x - 60x.
Posibility to fit/view slightly larger objects ~ 10cm rocks
Better lights
Maybe, Continuos zoom but discrete would be also ok.
Maybe, Attach a canon dsr camera. Again not a must if it asks more than 50€ only for that option.

This would be my dream if not for the hefty price..... :cry:
https://www.bresser.de/Mikroskopie/Mikr ... op-30.html

This would be acceptable (without dslr :( option), only small objects and chainging eyepieces is not something we would like to do.... :cry:
https://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-M ... scope.html

Are there any altèrnatives?
Sidequestion.... I would be able to put a dslr in C mount with c mount to canon eos adapter?

Alexander

Re: Advice buying a stereomicroscope ~200€

#2 Post by Alexander » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 pm

This one gives you a camera port. Its mayor shortfall is free working space.

https://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-M ... light.html

Krs

#3 Post by Krs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am

I glossed over that one because of the space benieth the lens.... but now it does not look that bad :)

One question... this has a max of 40x... is this enough for rocks and leaves and whatnot?
In theory could you put 20x eye pieces and get double the magnification?

And another question can a canon dslr eos be mounted on that trino?

Adam Long

#4 Post by Adam Long » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:35 am

We had a simple cheap Bresser 20x stereoscope
I bought probably the same one for my 8 year-old son. For £60, I was not impressed. After watching ebay for some months I was able to get a Kyowa SDZ-PL for £85. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. Zoom from 7x to 45x, very smooth and parfocal throughout, wide field of view, illumination from above or below, very sharp. It is not trinocular but such versions are available. This and similar scopes are also often rebranded. I got a great deal but for <€150 you should be able to get something similar without too long a wait.

Alexander

#5 Post by Alexander » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Krs wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am

One question... this has a max of 40x... is this enough for rocks and leaves and whatnot?
In theory could you put 20x eye pieces and get double the magnification?

And another question can a canon dslr eos be mounted on that trino?
I own a stereo with 10x 20x and 40x and rarely use the 40x. 10x is of most benefit.

No idea how the Canon will fit. Ask Bresser. I am sure they will answer your questions about it.

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:48 pm

I'll add to what Alexander stated, my stereo goes from 7x to 40x, (up to 80x with an aux lens) but I spend the majority of the time at 10x and only rarely step up from there. I mostly use my stereo for insects and random object that are too small for me to see in detail anymore. At 40x, manually manipulating objects at such magnification can be difficult.
Here's a quick comparison I made a while back for someone else when they were trying to decide what they needed, hopefully it helps. Realize that the image from each mag will fill your field of view, so each will be significantly larger than they appear in the combined image.
stereo_mag_s.jpg
stereo_mag_s.jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 2285 times

Krs

#7 Post by Krs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Ok 40x should be enough :)

Thank you all for all the advice. :mrgreen:

I am prety sure l'll go with: https://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-M ... light.html

But thats in 2-3 weeks... so if anyone has somenthing simillar to advice... please drop a comment.

Roldorf

#8 Post by Roldorf » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:25 pm

I have the same scope without the trinocular tube. Be aware that you wont be able to fit 10cm rocks under the scope and get them in focus. You would need one on a boom. (the one I have is branded Optika, but it is the same).

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage