One Time Magnification Eyepeice

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
MicroscopyLearning

One Time Magnification Eyepeice

#1 Post by MicroscopyLearning » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:02 pm

Hello. Most eyepieces I find are usually 10 times or 25 times. Is there a way to get one that has no magnification and only gets in focus whatever is coming out of the objective. I would like to know if this exists.

Scarodactyl

Re: One Time Magnification Eyepeice

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 pm

No, not for viewing anyway. It would be totally unusable. There are 1x focal eyepieces for goingg direct onto a camera sensor but they aren't usable to the eye.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:36 am

If you set-up a camera lens [or even something simpler] to give 1:1 reproduction, then it would relay the primary image from its plane to somewhere beyond the tube … and also invert it.

You could then observe this on a small screen … but I doubt it would be particularly useful.

MichaelG.

This might serve as a useful optics ‘refresher’ : https://g3ynh.info/photography/articles/opt_mag.html
Too many 'projects'

Chas

#4 Post by Chas » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:30 pm

If you want to look at larger items on the stage then there are some new Chinese 1x and 2x objectives on ebay.....this isnt a recomendation ;-)
( eyepieces can be bought at 5x....old ones seemed to be 6x ).

Chas

#5 Post by Chas » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:53 am

Microscopes have became more 'trapped' over time ..but with older stands (think drawtube /horseshoe stand) it is quite possible to get wider fields of view:
Poor phone pics, through the eyepiece, but just to give a sense of what you can get:
6x on horseshoe stretched.jpg
6x on horseshoe stretched.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
[On the objective changer of a Watson Service, I think ]

Indeed that was a purpose for the RMS thread at the bottom end of a drawtube :-)

Or indeed this...not the right objective ..it is a DIN objective ..stretched on the rack..as it were:
Wider view.jpg
Wider view.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1295 times