Stereo microscope for aquatic insects, what to buy?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jov8630

Stereo microscope for aquatic insects, what to buy?

#1 Post by jov8630 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and hope to find some help with picking the right microscope. I'm looking for one to study benthic fauna, mainly to identify the individuals that I'm able to collect here in Finland :) What I would need from a microscope is magnification up at least to x65, enough work space >100 mm, top and bottom lighting. My budget is definitely max at 1000 € (the less the better as I'm still a student at a uni).

https://amscope.de/collections/zoom-pow ... d9b6&_ss=r
https://amscope.de/collections/stereo-m ... 7e95&_ss=r

I'm thinking to pick either one of these scopes. I know that I would need to get x20 objectives for the first one and most probably a proper LED ring for it as well. Amscope customer service suggested that I could consider this latter option as well. I just can't see what is the difference between these two (except the price and magnification) and I'm looking to get any opinions from you guys. I've tried to look for a second hand scope as well for a year, but can't find one. Thanks in advance :)

dtsh

Re: Stereo microscope for aquatic insects, what to buy?

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:21 pm

I'm not familiar with what's available in the EU, but a gently used system can often get you a lot more features and performance for the money spent.
I've seen others share the URLs to a few resellers of such equipment, but I didn't make note of it as it's out of my area. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to provide a few such and add to your options.
There's also the buy/sell sub forum here which I've had good luck with.

Alexander

#3 Post by Alexander » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:55 pm

Both will do the job. Considering your budget a used Zeiss Stemi 305 is within reach.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm

You'd get somewhat brighter images and more versatility (change heads, upgrade to apo objectives, add an iris, various camera adapters, etc.) with a "CMO" (common main objective) stereo microscope.

Around here, under $1000 (with the Euro still worth more, despite the mess in Ukraine) could get something like a Nikon SMZ 10, 10a, or even an SMZ-U. Or a Wild M3z, M7, M8 or its various Leica descendants such as the MZ6. Or, something like an Olympus SZH. Perhaps one of our European members has suggestions on where you might have better luck finding a reasonably priced used scope? Just the heads are light enough, that shipping might be a option with the stand sourced locally.

Generally speaking, I've not been real happy going beyond 10x or 15x and pushing things with 20x eyepieces on most stereo microscopes. Adding a supplemental objective below often gives better resolution. You do lose working distance, though, as is often the case with higher magnifications.

dtsh

#5 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:03 pm

PeteM wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm
Generally speaking, I've not been real happy going beyond 10x or 15x and pushing things with 20x eyepieces on most stereo microscopes. Adding a supplemental objective below often gives better resolution. You do lose working distance, though, as is often the case with higher magnifications.
That's been my experience as well, more than 40x and it gets harder for me to manipulate the insect; add in the increased demand for more lighting and I start wondering why I'm not using the compound. I've found that even when I'm butchering mosquitoes I'm working with less than 40x and transferring things to a slide for more detailed examination under the compound on the occasions that's useful (rarely for me). I do occasionally use a 2x barlow, but it's rare. Perhaps when I get around to the super tiny gnats I occasioanlly see in the catches that make a mosquito look enormous it might be different. I remember when I started this it was suggested to me in a few papers that I'd need a stereo that could go upto 160x or so, I can't even imagine how hard that would be to use as 80x is near unusable for me; though to be fair, my stereo scope is about 50 years old.

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 pm

One difference between the two Amscopes is the stage diameter (95 vs 70mm). That might translate into larger external dimensions of the scope.
IMHO:
1. The larger scope, the better (within limits), since ergonomy is very important.
2. As others commented, 20X eyepieces are not useful. The basic 7x (or 8x) to 45x (or 50x) range is OK. I would prefer to extend it with a 1.5x Barlow lens and possibly 15X eyepieces, even simultaneously in extreme cases.
3. A LED ring around the objective is not needed if the microscope already has built-in top (diagonal) illumination. Even if not, spot desk lamps will do the job.
4. Two diopter rings - one on each eyetube - is superfluous, just one will do.
5. Zoom is a great feature, but most of the time, very few magnification settings are used in practice. So mags of say 7X, 10X, 20X and 50X cover most of the tasks. So when budget presses...
6. Based on experience: a 1-year warranty is essential when buying a new inexpensive unbranded scope. "New" is not a synonym of fault-free.

P.S. I would prefer an LED on a stereo microscope. Neutral white light is great.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatBassPlayer

#7 Post by FatBassPlayer » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:59 pm

Have a look here: https://www.astroshop.eu/microscopy/mic ... t=1&size=0

Their range goes from GBP50 to GBP12k so I imagine that's comprehensive!

I don't know anything about stereo microscopes, and I have no affiliation to astroshop. Just thought it might be helpful.

:)
Picasso is dead,
Mozart is dead,
Einstein is dead,
And I ain't feeling great.

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:43 pm

The first one is based on the Nikon smz645. It is widely used and some people like them. Image quality was fine but I didn't like the copy I owned much because it was uncomfortable to use, but it may have been defective in some way. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10661

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:48 am

Your target magnification of 65X is just beyond the limit that a great many stereo microscopes can achieve without a noticeable drop in contrast and brightness, even if the resolution is there because the former two affect the ability of the eye to make use of the resolution.

Made in China microscopes are generally also rans, when it comes to contrast and resolution but as the price goes up, they are also rans against better winners. At 1000.00 Euro, you are still looking at new scopes that are average when thrown into the ring with a whole bunch of older microscopes that in their day were the pick of the litter. One thing that a new Chinese microscope has is cleanliness, and comparisons to an older scope can favour new over used due to that. Once well cleaned however, many of the vintage or older microscopes come into their own and prove their worth.

Some of those older scopes can achieve 65X and produce excellent imaging due to finely engineered high resolution optical systems whereas the Chinese scopes you have linked to require further magnification with extra optics in order to do so. 20x eyepieces in scope #1 of your links will only bloat the image, not provide more detail. In order to achieve the kind of magnification with appropriate detail you are looking for you probably need to up your budget in a Chinese scope.

I would be looking at a Jena Citoval, Zeiss Stemi, various Wild or Bausch & Lomb stereozoom 7. Be prepared to clean or have them cleaned but for less than 1000.00 Euros you will have something you will really like to use, well built, precise and affordable.
Last edited by apochronaut on Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney

#10 Post by Rodney » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:05 am

If you can find a good one, and I say good one, check out AO Cycloptic, I have and use one a lot for insects. You can fit this scope with a 2x barlow and have 50x.
I go to my compound microscopes for anything over 50x
Those were good stereo microscopes and the one I have is a keeper.
Could save you a few bucks, good luck..

imkap

#11 Post by imkap » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:46 am

I bought this in EU (ebay.it) recently for quite a bit less money than the Amscope you're suggesting...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15369

Waited for 4-5 months for the right thing, with a right price to appear on eBay or locally. So if not in a hurry, a used stereo Olympus, Zeiss, Nikon, Leica or other top brand might be better, and have a resale value. I never looked through an Amscope so don't know the difference, but the word is these should be better...