Objective changes opinions please.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
cpsTN

Objective changes opinions please.

#1 Post by cpsTN » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:03 pm

As with a billion other people, the 'scope I have, the Amscope M500B, has four objectives: 4x, 10x, 40x, and 100x. Although, I do view water droplets and other ACTUAL micoscopic things, most of what I observe are not microscopic; insects, flower parts, seeds, coins, etc. I regularly use the 4x and 10x objectives, and I even have a use for the 40x. I don't, however, use the 100x, nor do I plan on it. It's just too much magnification, even with the smallest EP (eyepiece), 5x, and I don't want to contend with the oil. I don't want to have an objective I don't use, just hanging out. I am considering replacing it with either a 2x or a 20x, or SOMETHING to get use of all four places. I know the 40x can't be used effectively with any subject with depth. It would be a good one to use in the world of the novel Flatland. lol The same thing might be true with a 20x, I don't know. A 2x objective would give me a power down to 10x. I don't know if this would be enough to be useable since I have a 4x obj. The best thing, as has been suggested, would be to move to a stereo scope, but I don't want to be limited to powers of 40x or so from what I've seen. I really get a lot of use of the 200x power. I am wondering what others do, aside from buying two 'scopes. ...Let me add that I don't have an objection to buying a stereo scope and having both, but with observing the night sky with TELESCOPES for nearly 30 years, since 1986, I know if I get two, I will invaribly use one or the other and the remaining one will start collecting dust.

Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN
Amscope M500B
12" f/5 Newtonian
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

75RR

Re: Objective changes opinions please.

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:29 pm

... I will invaribly use one or the other and the remaining one will start collecting dust.
In microscopy, since each scope will effectively have different uses - this should not be the case.

One alternative would be to buy both a 2x and a 20x objective as well as 5x and 16x eyepieces - this would give you a wider range of magnifications.

This is perhaps a good moment to consider whether it would make more sense to start thinking of an upgrade - putting what you would spend on this towards your next scope.

5x eyepieces at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-EP5X23-Pa ... +Eyepieces
16x eyepieces at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-EP16X23-W ... +Eyepieces
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Amscope does not offer a 2X objective for your microscope, or any of their scopes, that I'm aware of. A used 2X may cost more than the scope on which you plan to use it.

More importantly is that you keep in mind the intended specimen for the objective you are using and don't worry so much about magnification. As others have mentioned I believe a stereo microscope would be your best bet for the specimens you are observing. I find that they are invaluable when the specimen is appropriate. The lower magnifications offer a better contextual observation.

Of courses, this is my opinion... (and should be strongly considered... :lol: )

lorez

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I believe both of the above comments are excellent and I cannot add usefully to them. I will, however, say that if I were you, I would use the equipment I have for a few months and learn and practice how to get the best results from them. Then you will know exactly which way to supplement/augment/improve your equipment to achieve what you see as your current (and maybe future) goals in this hobby, and you will be in a position to ask specific questions such as, "I want to buy xyz, my allotted budget is abc, what would you recommend?"

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:51 pm

"I want to buy xyz, my allotted budget is abc, what would you recommend?"
STP

lorez

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi, charles sands...please consider a used Plan 2X objective from a reputable eBay seller...I sense it might not be as expensive as your current stand (cmpd scope that is).

Please visit issue #49 of MicrobeHunter...look at my images of 'spring time kits and mud puppies'...there is a lot you can image with your Plan 2X, Plan 4X objectives...those mud pups are imaged with the 2X and 4X Plan objectives+the CFW 10X oculars.

With your 5X occulars...you can get more macro-micro borderlands of observations. That is if you have a 160TL stand..if yours is: 'infinity optics'...I have no idea what the costs are!

Like you I enjoy telescopes, charles, so I guess this thread is 'chuck full of amatuer astronomers'...ooops, my bad!

I never made the switch to infinity optics only because I am of an...err age...when I was enjoying hobby bench microscopy with used but excellent stands . Yes I have two vintage binoc stands, and a flea market aquired 'antique binoc stand'...but I just don't seem to need these stands for my microscopy...especially with a 2X objective...and I might have 8X ocullars...which I just do not use. thanks for your querry charlie guevara with first of the year snow on the ground

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Depending in how critical you are with image quality, there are DIN standard 1x and 2x objectives that should fit your scope:

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-A2X-Achro ... B005PPOXEE

http://www.microscopenet.com/plan-achro ... -9072.html

You would have to take off the top lens of your condenser to fill the view field with even light though (regular unmodified condenser may not provide even light cone for such low power objectives).

I have a similar 2x objective and like it just fine for casual use.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:11 pm

With the types of subjects you typically gravitate towards, adding an inexpensive stereo microscope to your toolkit wouldn't detract from your use of the Amscope. It's not like having both a reflector and a refractor, which have largely duplicate uses. You should be able to land a good used stereo, likely with transmitted illumination too, for less than 150.00. You will use them both.

cpsTN

#9 Post by cpsTN » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:59 pm

I Thank all for their responses. I believe I will take the advice of both Gekko and Apochronaut. I have had my current microscope for only 8 months, but I'm going to try to expand my observing and see what I might want to do next, like I did with astronomy. Probably, this spring I will end up with both Compound and Stereo scopes.

Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN
Amscope M500B
12" f/5 Newtonian
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo

JimT

#10 Post by JimT » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:20 pm

I second your decision. Think that a compound microscope is like for observing detail on planets and dim deep sky objects. Think that a stereo scope is like binoculars, good for enjoying brighter nebula and open clusters.

I endorse the advice of both Gekko and Apochronaut. Use what you have and then decide.

BTW, you must get a lot of light pollution from Nashville.

JimT

cpsTN

#11 Post by cpsTN » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:33 am

Good way to look at the microscopes. I am about 20 miles SE of Downtown Nashville, but only about 9 miles from the Nashville border, in a bordering county, Rutherford, but I know what you mean. I am just outside a city of 40k, Smyrna, and about 7 miles NW of a city of 120k, Murfreesboro. From the house in a somewhat rural subdivision less than half a mile from several farms, I can see 4th magnitude stars without trouble and the glow of the Milky Way is noticable most nights. I am primarily a L&P observer, so light is not really an issue. Been thinking of downgrading FROM my 12" to something smaller, maybe go back to an 8". The 12" is easy to move around (wheel barrow handles and wheels) so maybe not.

Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN
Amscope M500B
12" f/5 Newtonian
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo

Microworld Steve

#12 Post by Microworld Steve » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:15 pm

I have both an OMAX and an AmScope and I added a few extras to each, such as a 60x and a 20x objectives and different powered eyepieces, and a few other extras. :)
If I can't see it with my microscope, it ain't worth looking at. :D