Considering mounting alternatives for an Olympus BX 53 and Canon EOS Rebel SL3.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
lperepol1

Considering mounting alternatives for an Olympus BX 53 and Canon EOS Rebel SL3.

#1 Post by lperepol1 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:02 pm

I am looking for mounting alternatives to mount a Canon EOS Rebel SL3 to an Olympus BX 53. Can someone help?
I have two cameras:
1) Omax 18mp
2) and an Olympus Dp 23

The OMAX is slow to respond to focal changes, and the Olympus DP 23 works excellently.
However, micrographs taken with both cameras have a poor resolution of images taken with a 10x objective.
I want a multi-functional camera and am considering a Canon EOS Rebel SL3 and hoping for better micrographs using lower-powered objectives.

blekenbleu

Re: Considering mounting alternatives for an Olympus BX 53 and Canon EOS Rebel SL3.

#2 Post by blekenbleu » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:20 pm

The Olympus BX 53 appears to use infinity objectives, with no corrections in oculars.
If so, then an afocal setup over the photo port should work with no relay lens.
For Canon APS-C, an EF-S 55-250mm zoom should work.
Those are available used for less than US$100.
Once a focal length which nicely fills the sensor is established,
an internal focusing prime telephoto with filter step-up/down adapter rings could yield even better images.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

viktor j nilsson

Re: Considering mounting alternatives for an Olympus BX 53 and Canon EOS Rebel SL3.

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:35 pm

Direct projection to full frame (ideal) or aps-c would be my preferred method. A friend recently bought a BX53 and set it up for direct projection with a Nikon Z7 full frame camera using the method described in the link below (U-TV1x-2 -> U-TMAD -> T2-Z adapter -> Z7). The results are awesome. For full frame you may need to remove a baffle in the U-TMAD to avoid vignetting.

https://macrocosmosblog.wordpress.com/2 ... r-cameras/

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:06 pm

If you have a 3d printer it is easiest to remove the top dovetail which is held on with three bolts and replace it with a threaded adapter. Then you can use spacers and a helicoid to get the exact placement of the camera and not worry about adapting hardware meant for smaller formats. Aps-c will capture all of the rated image circle and a bit more, I suspect full frame corners will be a bit into diminishing returns territory depending on the objective but I have not tested it (and even if it is it could be totally worthwhile).

Macro_Cosmos

#6 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Tue May 09, 2023 12:03 am

You can download CAD models from Evident's website to modify.
I did that to make adaptors. If you have a fluorescence arm installed, direct projection to a full frame camera will not work well as you will see lots of mechanical vignetting.

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue May 09, 2023 8:37 pm

At least for the BX51:
AFAIK Olympus-made microscope cameras (probably the DP23 as well) are meant to be used without an eyepiece.
If the FOV is too small, Olympus sells a 0.5 or 0.6 reduction lens between the camera and head. Not the least expensive coupling method but it should work.