Advice and guidance

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Haider

Advice and guidance

#1 Post by Haider » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 am

Hi there,

I am very new to this forum and the world of microscopes.
I have inherited a microscope, unknown brand, but from my search, it appears to be a cheap make one. Nonetheless, does what its intended.

I was hoping I get more clarification and help from you guys:
Currently I have an iphone holder through the binocular as you can see from the picture. And I use the iphone as a screen. However, I would like to utilise the trinocular space, and connect the iphone there instead of C Mount camera, and actually use the binoculars to look through!
1.jpg
1.jpg (71.73 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (62.36 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

There seem to be a mount on thread that measures around 27mm inside
and if removed the inlet is 22.6mm inside
so the standard 23.2mm eye pieces do not fit in!!!!

any solution or guidance, I would be very much grateful.

Thank you in advance

PeteM

Re: Advice and guidance

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:17 pm

The measured dimensions are a bit off, but I suspect your trinocular head expects a C-mount camera. If so, some of those are affordable.

To use your cell phone, you'd want to make up a tube to fit both your trinocular port and an eyepiece. You could approximate the distance needed to be parfocal by holding an eyepiece-attached phone over the port in a darkened room.

Haider

#3 Post by Haider » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:25 pm

Thank you for your swift reply.

Yes that’s correct, I have already a C Mount camera, but i find an iPhone a lot easier to AirPlay and save photos/videos than C Mount camera/usb etc, hence not using it.

I will try your advice tomorrow and see how I get on.
Thought I may need a specific lens/item…

One question
Why when I place the iPhone on the binocular eyepiece, I can see through it. But when placed over the trinocular C Mount holder no image appears? Where as the C Mount picks up an image?
Sorry if it’s a stupid question!

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:35 pm

With your cell phone, the regular camera eyepiece acts as a photo relay lens and the cell phone lens focuses it on the sensor. This is "afocal" imaging, which you can look up.

With a C-mount camera, you're close enough not to need a photo relay lens. This is the "direct projection" method, which you can also look up.

To use a camera phone over the trinocular port, you need to have an eyepiece in the loop, once again, to focus things. Here, we're back to "afocal" imaging.

Good luck. You can likely search for various methods of mounting cameras. It's a bit confusing, but there are lots of resources on the Web.

Haider

#5 Post by Haider » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi there,

So I've tried hovering the eyepieces that i have (WF 10x22) over the trinocular inlet with phone attached. But i could not see any image.
Should i get (10x18) eyepiece instead? does the length of the tube matter?

what does 1/2 mount adapter mean? Can that be used at all?