Lighting issue Olympus MJ metallurgical microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Tailgunner

Lighting issue Olympus MJ metallurgical microscope

#1 Post by Tailgunner » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:43 pm

I recently purchased this metallurgical microscope primarily for looking at dies of integrated circuits.
Only info I found on this microscope is this leaflet:
https://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olym ... eaflet.pdf

Problem I have is with the lighting that comes with the microscope, I can't seem to get it to work properly.
If I turn the light of and use a flashlight to illuminate the sample, I can see it through the eyepieces, not very bright of course because of the small working distance.
So I know the microscope is working.

When I turn the light on that comes with the microscope there are a few nobs and levers that you can actuate to control the brightness of the subject.
I can see the light hitting the sample I want to look at but when I look through the eyepieces I just see the bright light.
And can't see anything else. I tried turning the intensity down, there's a knob for a filter that you can turn,...
All of this didn't help, literally blinded by the light.
Does anyone have any experience with this microscope?

PeteM

Re: Lighting issue Olympus MJ metallurgical microscope

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:29 am

Some things to check:

1) It sounds like when you turn the light on and focus on a specimen, that you're getting a tiny focused spot of light on the specimen. Right?

2) If not (and even so) make sure the half-reflecting mirror present in the optical chain and clean. This will take light from the illuminator and use it to illuminate the specimen.

3) Are all the irises open, to begin? There should be at least one, and usually two.

4) Is everything centered?

Tailgunner

#3 Post by Tailgunner » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:45 am

PeteM wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:29 am
Some things to check:

1) It sounds like when you turn the light on and focus on a specimen, that you're getting a tiny focused spot of light on the specimen. Right?
Yes, I can focus the light on the specimen

2) If not (and even so) make sure the half-reflecting mirror present in the optical chain and clean. This will take light from the illuminator and use it to illuminate the specimen.
I, will clean the mirror.

3) Are all the irises open, to begin? There should be at least one, and usually two.
I don't understand. I see the light on the specimen and I see it through the eyepieces.

4) Is everything centered?
Will have to check.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Once everything is centered, you can try closing down the irises a bit to gain contrast.