DARKFIELD WITH OLYMPUS CH2

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Ange20

DARKFIELD WITH OLYMPUS CH2

#1 Post by Ange20 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:24 pm

hello guys,
i have buy an Olympus CH2 with achromatic objective and it's great!!
But I have a problem, I can't do the Darkfield with the little filter!!!! :cry: :cry:
With the 4X and 10X the dark field is going, but with the 40X is not working, I see completely dark!!! :?: :?:
The condenser is a standard condenser with the hole for the filters..
I have tried to move the condenser but it's not working.
I need some helps thanks :D :D

deBult

Re: DARKFIELD WITH OLYMPUS CH2

#2 Post by deBult » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:11 am

Ange,

Detailed pictures of your configuration will help us helping you, common reasons why DF does not work

A: The condenser has to be “up” and nearly touching your slide to make it work with the 40*.
Several of the entry versions of the CH2 have a simple condenser mechanism to move the condenser up/down. This mechanism (metal on “plastic?”) is nearly always stuck. I have several :and never been able to get this mechanism going again.

B: Wrong position of the DF stop. There is a snap in filter holder a the bottom of the condenser with a blue filter: replace this blue filter with the dark field stop.

Ange20

#3 Post by Ange20 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:22 am

deBult wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:11 am
Ange,

Detailed pictures of your configuration will help us helping you, common reasons why DF does not work

A: The condenser has to be “up” and nearly touching your slide to make it work with the 40*.
Several of the entry versions of the CH2 have a simple condenser mechanism to move the condenser up/down. This mechanism (metal on “plastic?”) is nearly always stuck. I have several :and never been able to get this mechanism going again.

B: Wrong position of the DF stop. There is a snap in filter holder a the bottom of the condenser with a blue filter: replace this blue filter with the dark field stop.
thanks a lot debut. I send you a picture of my scope. Yes, my condenser is mobile, I have tried to move up and down but nothing seems to work...
I also have insert the DF filter in the bottom of the condenser, and yes with the 4X and 10X is working very well, but with the 40X nothing... :cry: :cry:
i have a lot of filters for DF and I don't know which use for doing DF with 40X. :?: :?:
Attachments
3363d163-b9af-451f-8fb2-95fb14595ed7.JPG
3363d163-b9af-451f-8fb2-95fb14595ed7.JPG (183.27 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

Chas

#4 Post by Chas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Have you been switching between darkfield and brightfield? ....as you might have closed down the condenser's iris a bit in 'brightfield' and so shut off the light that, previously, was going around the darkfield patch ;-)

The other ways to end up with a completely dark image is if the 40x objective isn't dead in the middle of the condenser's light and there two kinds of ways this can happen:

1] the condenser lines up, only roughly, with the middle of the 4x and 10x ...and you are getting away with this misalignment with them, but not with the 40x

2] The objectives arent exactly looking in the same spot

It is quite easy to check the second problem ; find some feature on a slide that is very easily recognisable ..it could even be a bit of dust on a blank slide, get that exactly in the middle of the view using the 40x objective and then see if it is exactly in the middle of the view using the 10x (and the 4x if you want).

BTW these aren't CH2-specific suggestions

deBult

#5 Post by deBult » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:18 pm

Darkfield using a 40* requires critical centering as stated in previous post.

The ORIGINAL Olympus dark field stop (size does matter here) is readily available on the US .bay and “reasonable” priced.

A few pictures of the condenser will help to verify what condenser version you have, looks like you do NOT have the “hopeless” version though.

Check the Alan Wood website for the CH2 repair manual (and watch the video on the BH2 substage repair to get the “feeling” on what (not) to do. Cleaning (lighter fluid is OK) the mechanical parts of the condensor and Plastilube break grease is recommend for re-greasing.

Screw heads may look like “Philips” but are actually JIS (Japanese Industry Standard), using Philips screw drivers will strip the heads.

Ange20

#6 Post by Ange20 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:59 pm

thank you guys!!! :D :D
I will search this information in these website.
I have the condenser Abbe, I think, with the hole for the filter in the bottom... :?
I think is the alignment of the objective?? How can I Check it??
in the bright field the objective 40X seems very dark, compared with the 4X and 10X... it's also a problem with the alignment of the objective?? :?: :?:

Chas

#7 Post by Chas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:37 pm

Ange20, not all condensers/ setups can do darkfield with a patchstop with a 40x objective... so dont panic (achieving this is often more of a 'sport' than a routine method)
as above ...i.e. find a bit of something on a slide ..centre it into the middle of the view with the 10x and see if it is in the view of the 40x (?) if it isnt , centre it in the view of the 40x , switch back to the 10x and make an estimate of how far across the view it is (in a perfect world it should be in the middle).

If it is badly out; check that all your objectives are tight in the nosepiece and that the nosepiece doesnt 'wobble' noticably, also check that the revolving nosepiece is changing objectives with some definite 'certainty' ...old grease can get a bit thick and then the position selected by the nose can become more (sometimes too) uncertain.

As a check of the the alignment of your condenser to your lower power objectives, focus on the top of a blank slide with a 4x then close the iris on the condenser and then lower it ...you should at some point see the 'hole' of the closed iris diapragm in focus ... and it should be pretty much in the centre of your view... is it? You might be able to do this with the 10x too.

These suggestions are not specific to your microscope, others will know much more about what is likely to go out of line !

Ange20

#8 Post by Ange20 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:38 pm

Chas wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:37 pm
Ange20, not all condensers/ setups can do darkfield with a patchstop with a 40x objective... so dont panic (achieving this is often more of a 'sport' than a routine method)
as above ...i.e. find a bit of something on a slide ..centre it into the middle of the view with the 10x and see if it is in the view of the 40x (?) if it isnt , centre it in the view of the 40x , switch back to the 10x and make an estimate of how far across the view it is (in a perfect world it should be in the middle).

If it is badly out; check that all your objectives are tight in the nosepiece and that the nosepiece doesnt 'wobble' noticably, also check that the revolving nosepiece is changing objectives with some definite 'certainty' ...old grease can get a bit thick and then the position selected by the nose can become more (sometimes too) uncertain.

As a check of the the alignment of your condenser to your lower power objectives, focus on the top of a blank slide with a 4x then close the iris on the condenser and then lower it ...you should at some point see the 'hole' of the closed iris diapragm in focus ... and it should be pretty much in the centre of your view... is it? You might be able to do this with the 10x too.

These suggestions are not specific to your microscope, others will know much more about what is likely to go out of line !
Thanks a lot Chas!!! :D :D
For a Darkfield with the 40X and 100X what condenser is necessary?? :?:
Thanks for the tips, tomorrow I will check out this!!! I hope it's adjustable! :D :D
Another questions... How can I do good photos/video with my iPhone directly from the eyepiece of the scope?? there are good adaptor on the internet?? :geek:

Chas

#9 Post by Chas » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:49 am

Ange20, you might be getting 'totally black with 40x' if the condenser isn't getting close enough to the underneath of the slide.
It has to be very close ( I am guessing , but I am think the thickness of a coverslip or less).
It is very hard to estimate this gap by eye.
So ; put a drop of immersion oil or water on the top of the condenser lens and then raise it up underneath a slide ...the fluid should join to the slide.

The condenser might have been taken out and not put back as high as it can go

Just a thought ...a bit late in the day, but maybe less troubling than thinking about alignment !