Good Stereo Microscope?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Scarodactyl

Re: Good Stereo Microscope?

#31 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:37 am

It is fortunately quite easy with the SMZ-U. Almost any kind of camera can be accomodated.

einman

#32 Post by einman » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:57 am

I agree. Not sure about a comment, in another post, regarding DSLR's having a potential for mirror interference, as I have used a DSLR on all my stereoscopes with no issue. I'm currently working on an SZ7 stand, adapting it to a B&L base from a compound scope. I recently purchased another SZ7 destined for Costa Rica. However, when I get a chance, I will post some pictures of my smz-u.

Scarodactyl

#33 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:51 am

The Nikon standard photography setup does make it annoying to use a dslr via direct projection since the flange focal distance is just a bit too long. There are workarounds but nothing beats buying two cheap mechanical adapters and just having it work.

SanFran77

#34 Post by SanFran77 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:53 am

(Double posting removed)
Last edited by SanFran77 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SanFran77

#35 Post by SanFran77 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 am

A Heartfelt Thank You and My Exciting Microscope Setup Reveal

Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled to announce that my 'going-in' setup is finally complete, and I'd like to express my gratitude to all of you who contributed to what I consider the most fantastic Christmas gift for my family and our three children (ages 9, 6, and 3).

Here's the setup that's now ready for action:
  • Nikon SMZ-U Stereo Microscope ($1,500)
  • ED Plan 1x (included) and ED Plan 2x ($525) objectives
  • Sony A6000 mirrorless camera ($380)
I'm aiming to create a camera setup that streams directly to an iMac. This will make it easier for the younger kids to view without any hassle. Although the video result doesn't perfectly replicate the fantastic experience of looking through the eyepieces (the camera's field of view is slightly different), making it accessible for the children is my priority. This setup is perfect for our growing experience and needs over the coming years, and I couldn't be happier with it.

We're still waiting on a new stage plate ($15) and a capture card (for streaming to my iMac 2021 - did not find a good one yet, would appreciate experience to weigh in).

One of the most positive surprises for me was discovering that opting not to buy a ready-made product from Amazon led me to delve deeper into the details and intricacies of working with the microscope. I'm grateful for everyone who played a part in this and I am very happy to share my own growing experience and what I could learn from you with anyone who has similar questions in the future.

Currently, I'm a bit puzzled by one aspect: The diameter of the trinocular rear port on my microscope is larger than the side port (the side port is 38mm). I'm curious if there's any functional difference between the two. If anyone has insights on this, I'd love to hear them.

Here are a couple of photos of my setup:

Once again, a massive thank you to this wonderful community. Your support and knowledge have been incredible.

Topcode

#36 Post by Topcode » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:59 pm

SanFran77 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 am

Currently, I'm a bit puzzled by one aspect: The diameter of the trinocular rear port on my microscope is larger than the side port (the side port is 38mm). I'm curious if there's any functional difference between the two. If anyone has insights on this, I'd love to hear them.
One of the main differences is that the side port does not have a built in tube lens, this means it will not properly focus at the right distance without adding a tube lens. The center port, does have a built in tube lens, and will focus properly.

SanFran77

#37 Post by SanFran77 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:12 pm

Topcode wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:59 pm
SanFran77 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 am

One of the main differences is that the side port does not have a built in tube lens, this means it will not properly focus at the right distance without adding a tube lens. The center port, does have a built in tube lens, and will focus properly.
Yes, I remember now, you already wrote about that in your introductory post (*) about the SMZ-U. Thank you for reminding me. Do you happen to know why the back port is bigger (and what the correct diameter is, it must be just another ISO normed tube)? I would like to have the same attachment that I have for the 38mm side-port for the rear port, but fitting.

(*) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19113&p=139187#p139187