Nikon CFWA vs. CFWE eyepieces?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
J_WISC

Nikon CFWA vs. CFWE eyepieces?

#1 Post by J_WISC » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:39 pm

Hello.

Can someone tell us about the difference between Nikon CFWA and CFWE eyepieces? Both are for sale via the internet. I tried to find information about the series.

Thank you.

MichaelG.

Re: Nikon CFWA vs. CFWE eyepieces?

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:43 pm

Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:27 pm

E is for educational or economical. They're the budget model either way, smaller field of view and probably worse color correcrion.
I am not familiar with cfwa eyepieces though. The CFW and CFWNs are the higher end options, and they did have one rarer type with premium cllor correction.

Personally I'd say skip all of them and use these https://www.ebay.com/itm/273482756677. They have a wider field of view and better color correction than the cfw options.

J_WISC

#4 Post by J_WISC » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:14 am

Thank you for your help. I'll look into the Olympus eyepieces. I like the idea of high eye point.

In the mean time, I tried a pair of eyepieces I almost forgot I had ... AO Spencer 10X WF CAT. 146. They're good enough for now. I don't have the experience to warrant something better. And I couldn't really tell the difference between the Nikon CFWE and AO Spencer eyepieces. Too subtle for me. The Spencer ones (from the 1960s) don't work on the older Spencer microscopes, so I'm glad I found a use for them.

(I suspect CFWA does not exists; it's a typo or misunderstanding.)