Best size objective for Pond life?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Polymerase

Re: Best size objective for Pond life?

#31 Post by Polymerase » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:22 am

deBult wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:55 am
Not sure how we all ended up here : this is the beginners corner and a beginners question.

Naturally: with proper technique and practice you can use your higher Mag. and NA objectives: don’t see above discussion is helpful to a beginner.
This is a very important point!

While I don’t disagree with anyone - and many good points have been made - I still think that the beginner needs to achieve fascination for his subjects without too many technical difficulties. Mastering high magnification is very rewarding, but not where you should start, because the struggle to produce good (or even acceptable) results when inexperienced can make you give up.

My points are still the same:

1. There is no such thing as a “best size objective!”
2. A good 20x will produce good results with minimal effort. 40x and above requires more skill, but should not be excluded in the long run. Therefore, I recommend good objectives of 4x, 10x and 20x for the beginner.
3. Higher magnification isn’t “better” - do not aim for high power just because it exists.
4. Find out what you are aiming to study, and choose your equipment accordingly.
5. When you are comfortable with low power objectives, and have learnt to use the condenser and illumination - move on to higher power and unleash its capabilities.

And finally - Don’t give up! This community is very helpful. No question is stupid, When you ask a question you think is stupid, you are asking a question that others also have, but dare not set forth. You won’t get answers to questions you dare not ask.

Joe Henry

#32 Post by Joe Henry » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have to admit it was overwhelming however .. much of this stuff is waaaaay too advanced for me :shock: ... not being ungrateful mind you, thanks and merry christmas!

Polymerase

#33 Post by Polymerase » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:44 pm

Joe Henry wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:38 pm
Thanks for the replies, I have to admit it was overwhelming however .. much of this stuff is waaaaay too advanced for me :shock: ... not being ungrateful mind you, thanks and merry christmas!
Then throw yourself into it, rip your hair out when things don’t work the way you expect, and come back with your questions.

Make a fast and dirty wet mount, run it through your available objectives and find out what is difficult, and what is easy. Don’t give up on the higher magnifications - but that is not where you should start. Feel free to try them, however. It’s not as difficult as it may seem, but does require some skill. Take notes! There is no need to make the same mistakes over and over.

If things seem too advanced, ask people to explain it in a way you can understand. Sometimes, we get lost in jargon and technicalities. I, for one, tend to appreciate being corrected when I am speaking too advanced. If you don’t understand what I am writing, my answer is of no use. Please ask!

Merry christmas!

charlie g

#34 Post by charlie g » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:07 pm

Merry Christmas, Joe Henry, and group. Encouragement is the 'coin of the realm' in this microscopy forum ( again, thank you Oliver Kim, for setting this community up and thriving).

Remember simple attention to your wet-mount slides..the sandwich of: your microscope slide+ the amount of sample fluid you plop on that slide+ the coverslip. Do not have an overstuffed thick wet mount slide sandwich...keep the water column/water film thickness 'thin'...to permit use of your 40X objective optic..an optic which needs be very close to top of the:glass slide/water film itself/ top coverslip sandwich.

You avoid 'double decker hamburger '..avoid 'club sandwich' thickness..to permit focus on your pond-life wet mount 'sandwich'. happy holidays, weirdly warm weather this Christmas,'23 here in fingerlakes/US charlie guevara

Joe Henry

#35 Post by Joe Henry » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:37 pm

Thanks for the replies....merry christmas!

Polymerase

#36 Post by Polymerase » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:03 am

charlie g wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:07 pm
Merry Christmas, Joe Henry, and group. Encouragement is the 'coin of the realm' in this microscopy forum ( again, thank you Oliver Kim, for setting this community up and thriving).

Remember simple attention to your wet-mount slides..the sandwich of: your microscope slide+ the amount of sample fluid you plop on that slide+ the coverslip. Do not have an overstuffed thick wet mount slide sandwich...keep the water column/water film thickness 'thin'...to permit use of your 40X objective optic..an optic which needs be very close to top of the:glass slide/water film itself/ top coverslip sandwich.

You avoid 'double decker hamburger '..avoid 'club sandwich' thickness..to permit focus on your pond-life wet mount 'sandwich'. happy holidays, weirdly warm weather this Christmas,'23 here in fingerlakes/US charlie guevara
Now this may be the most useful answer in this discussion! Remember the “KISS” principle: “Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Merry Christmas, everyone! And good luck, Joe Henry!

Ryanb

#37 Post by Ryanb » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:44 pm

I use a 10x and 20x most often for pond life. 10x gives me the best detail and context around a specimen. For videoing the creatures, I lean towards 20x depending on their size. Some rotifer and paramecium are large enough with a 10x. Best of luck!