Collecting pond samples...

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Joe Henry

Collecting pond samples...

#1 Post by Joe Henry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:02 am

Hello, I live in New England where the ponds are close to icing over now so the water is obviously very cold now. My question is if I collect some "bottom muck" right now will I still be able to get a good culture started in my jar? Thanks, Joe.

deBult

Re: Collecting pond samples...

#2 Post by deBult » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:03 am

Yes, I sampled from under the beginning ice cover last week (both free water and bottom samples): 5 different Daphnia species, rotifer, protists, several green algae and some Desmids (the latter will not last very long in your culture though).

Ryanb

#3 Post by Ryanb » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:47 pm

I’ve read somewhere that winter is one of the most diverse times of the year species wise. Give it a go and try to collect an open water sample as well as a muck/algae sample

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:59 pm

Dead plant material is the source of life in ponds. A decaying leaf in the bottom of the jar is helpful along with just a tiny bit of sugar. The best location to tske a sample from is just at the shore and if there is at all a current, where the current is least.
Then , add some open and deeper water.